shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#644254 - 04/08/07 10:43 AM X Towing Rig
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gentlemen,
I know that the Xterra is not specifically designed for towing like pick-ups and other vehicles but since mine is paid for and it cost less to put a few upgardes on verus buying a new truck I wanted to get your feed back.
I was thinking about a stiffer leaf spring pack in the rear as well as the JET chip computer upgrade, with NISMO air intake to go with the gibson exhaust I already have. A little extra power in conjunction with the upgraded suspension should help the X reach its 5000lbs rating for towing. Also I hope it won't hurt as much going up hills while towing. Are there any suggestions for the auto transmission? Thanks

#644255 - 04/08/07 02:32 PM Re: X Towing Rig
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tranny cooler,,,,,,,

#644256 - 04/08/07 02:55 PM Re: X Towing Rig
Anonymous
Unregistered

Trans temp gauge too..

#644257 - 04/08/07 08:43 PM Re: X Towing Rig
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by granitex:
Tranny cooler,,,,,,,
definitely

#644258 - 05/08/07 10:43 PM Re: X Towing Rig
Anonymous
Unregistered

As for the auto tranny, turn the overdrive off when towing. Definitely get a tranny cooler, if you don't already have one.

If you are planning on towing somewhere close to 5000 lbs., be prepared to go really slow uphill. The 3.3 is very underpowered.

People on this and other boards have suggested electric trailer brakes and a weight distributing hitch for that kind of load. IMO, an AAL or heavy duty spring pack is necessary if you plan on towing and hauling gear / people at the same time.

#644259 - 06/08/07 08:32 AM Re: X Towing Rig
Anonymous
Unregistered

At 5000lbs, trailer brakes are not a suggestion they are NEEDED. If you try and pull 5000lbs without them, you are putting you and other people in harms way.

Upgraded brakes on the X, also wouldn't be a bad idea. Although many people don't like them because they can crack, cross drilled rotors will help keep the temp down and help reduce brake fade.

Moving is only part of the battle when towing...stopping is the other...and IMO, more important.

Also, if you removed it, put the swaybar back on in the rear and maybe even run Polly bushings. You need the back end to not sway when/if you need to make a sudden move.

#644260 - 22/08/07 10:52 AM Re: X Towing Rig
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not sure which of the 3.3 engines you have, but it seems to me that you could use a lot more power. I am towind a 21' travel trailer with my 06 and it slows down a lot on the hills. It also eats gas. If i stick to around 55 and it is more or less level out I can see 11, but with hill I have been down as far as 8.1 mpg.

#644261 - 22/08/07 11:57 AM Re: X Towing Rig
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by AZ-Ted:

People on this and other boards have suggested electric trailer brakes and a weight distributing hitch for that kind of load. IMO, an AAL or heavy duty spring pack is necessary if you plan on towing and hauling gear / people at the same time.[/QB]
I agree with AZ-Ted on this; the weight distributing hitch and electric brakes were worth the money when we had to tow our " temporary home" back to the coast after we flooded. That particular hitch wasn't mandatory, and was more expensive, but it was worth it since I'd never towed a thing in my life. And definately go with the trailer brakes- safety first! Good Luck! smile

#644262 - 05/09/07 08:22 PM Re: X Towing Rig
PaulsX Offline

Loc: Virginia Beach, Va.
In all honesty, the X will tow right at it's rated capacity (if not a hair over) fairly well.

As mentioned, Trailer brakes are mandatory. (requirement for 1000+ lb. load)

As far as a weight distributing hitch; what you really want is an anti-sway device that is connected to the hitch.

I use my X to tow my car/trailer combo on a regular basis and have been doing so for nearly 4 years. The stock leafs are up to the task as long as you don't surpass the 500lb tongue weight and the only thing that I would recommend, also as previously mentioned is a Tranny cooler.

An upgraded leaf pack wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea, but it's not requisite for regular towing.
On that note, power adders are a good idea as the X does tend to struggle on steep grades. The 3.3 will do it, but it will be slow going.

As another downside, don't expect anything more than 8~11mpg max while towing.

My car/trailer combo weighs in right at 4600 lbs. Add another 300(ish)lbs. in gear, tools, tires, race gas jugs and personal stuff and I'm just under 5,000.

As long as you maintain a decent maintenance regimen, you should be ok. Due to the amount that I tow, I usually change my trans. fluid every 20~25k miles and rear end every 10~15k. Obviously oil changes at every 3k if feasible as well as all the other routine maintenance.

I've never had an issue and she's towed like a champ all these years.

Hope that this is of some assistance. Good luck and happy towing!

Pic below is one of the heavier cars that I tow on a regular basis, although I have to tow this one with it's nose first due to lack of appropriate/safe tie down locations on it. The other one gets towed rear end in front to keep the tongue weight down.
97 GS-T

#644263 - 07/09/07 08:58 AM Re: X Towing Rig
Anonymous
Unregistered

put some electric brakes on that trailer if you don't have them already.

#644264 - 07/09/07 11:36 AM Re: X Towing Rig
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey,

I'm also considering a bit of towing (15'-20') Travel Trailer in the near future. I'm looking for something large enough to fit my needs, but under the 5,000 pound tow rating.

Stock 2002 X , 2WD:Towing Upgrades
1. 3 Core Radiator : The Original 1 Core looked very small in comparison.
2. Transmission Cooler : Must have upgrade for towing in my opinion.
3. Heavy Duty Shackles ordered (1 1/2 inch lift over Original) which hopfully will be installed this weekend (?).

I'm holding off on the " Upgraded Leaf pack " until I've determined its really needed ??

You might also consider some aftermarket " GAUGES " (See Parts & Access :Thread ; Autometer Gauges ).

I find it's very comforting knowing things are operating within normal (Temp/Press) using an indicated numbered scale ... !

L.M.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal