shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#645038 - 17/05/04 05:23 PM Still Sourcin' Parts.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am still sourcin' parts for the bride of frankenstein. Any leads on an intake manifold for an S/C would be greatly appreciated. As previously posted I have the M62 and have been looking for salvage yard supplements. No luck thus far. Really looking forward to seeing if this project is worth the effort.

REFRESHER NOTE: Attempting to S/C a normally aspirated X.

Regards
Chris cool cool cool

#645039 - 20/05/04 02:15 PM Re: Still Sourcin' Parts.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Unless you have a factory m62 blower, it is very unlikely that the blower would work with the stock parts. Just about every blower that I have seen installed has a different length nose on it. I know the 2 vehicles I own have at least a 4” difference on the nose.

Unless you fab something, I doubt that you are going to find a mass manufactured manifold that will get the belt lined up. On the other hand, if you fab your own unit, you could mount it so an intercooler could be used.

Then you would have to figure out how to get more fuel under boost. I guess you could get a wrecked SC Xterra’s ecu and the larger injectors, or you could rig up some sort of piggy back ECU. I have not started to mod the Xterra yet, but if it has a fuel return you could probably get away with an AFPR and a stronger fuel pump.

Then to be safe, you would need something to control the ignition timing, maybe a MSD unit?

If you are going to go to all that trouble, I would get something like an MP90 blower and go beyond what the stock setup would do for you, otherwise it is going to be cheaper and easier to just trade in your truck, or rape a wrecked SC engine and basically move all the SC parts over.

Good luck,
Sean

#645040 - 20/05/04 04:57 PM Re: Still Sourcin' Parts.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually, the stock injectors will hold up to 6lbs of boost, quite nicely. They won't max out the duty cycle at that setting.

Not to mention that at only 6lbs, with an N/A motor anyway, you'd naturally be making more power.

Timing isn't a huge factor, just don't run with it advanced all the way. He's not disabling the knock sensor, so the computer will retard at the first sign of pinging.

The factory fuel pump can still be used. Again, with the factory fuel injectors, that pump can easily, and reliably run at the pressures needed.

The Supercharged X's aren't a marvel of tuning science. They're just a bit lower compression with a slightly different fuel mapping. I'm sure there are some other minor differences, but Nissans have always been notoriously easy to boost, with the exception of the 25QR motor, and do so reliably.

It's not rocket science, just a Supercharger.

#645041 - 20/05/04 06:49 PM Re: Still Sourcin' Parts.
Anonymous
Unregistered

When you say the stock injectors won't go max duty cycle, what will they hit? I have always been lead to believe 80% is max since running 100% or close is dangerous as the injectors flow less as they age allot of the time. The last thing you want to do is run out of fuel because your injector gets some buildup.

Also I am not sure how the stock knock sensor interacts with the ECU, but I have seen knock sensors go a lot overboard on the timing retard when they sense knock. I have always been in the camp that you should tune for no knock/ping and have the knock sensor as a safety incase of bad gas or something else causing problems. I would not want to use my knock sensor as a method of removing timing on a day to day, every time I hit the gas kind of thing.

Then again, I have not even started to really look at modding the X, my other car with the aftermarket MP62 is what I am tweaking, and I have always told myself to only screw with one car at a time laugh

Sean

#645042 - 21/05/04 11:18 PM Re: Still Sourcin' Parts.
Anonymous
Unregistered

The amount of air that the factory SC will move is very little, compared to other SC's out there. The computer won't have to go to 100% duty cycle to compensate for the increased air, only probably around 75%-85%.

I don't see any problems going upwards of 90%-95% duty cycle. But I don't believe that we'd be anywhere near that for max output. especially at our altitude. Even at sea level, I don't see the computer going that high with the injectors. I'll have to check on the part #'s as well, but I think it's possible that the stock injectors for both the SC and N/A 3.3 are the same units. Running lean wouldn't be a huge concern for me, as he wouldn't be drag racing the X.

We'd definately adjust the distributor for our timing retard (from stock) and use the knock sensor as a safety device. I don't believe in the reliabity of the knock sensors at this point to use them as a daily retard device. That's just not an option. Only when the fuel isn't up to snuff, or something like that would the knock sensor be moving the timing. Again, safety device, not a tuning device.

High octane's a must though, but he lives in Highlands Ranch, probably not a problem there. laugh

#645043 - 22/05/04 06:28 PM Re: Still Sourcin' Parts.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cyclemut you da man. I am looking forward to completing the project. Time is the enemy right now. Work is keeping me busy 24/7, or so it seems. I do suppose that the local pump stations have premium. laugh laugh laugh I must add that a new station is offering 100 OCTANE racing fuel! [Huh?] eek [Huh?] eek Wonder what that would do to the bride of frankenstein.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal