2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#64722 - 26/01/04 10:38 AM Has anyone seen this
Coxd Offline

Loc: Frisco
I was wondering if anyone has seen the Jeep Liberty Renegade? I like how they put the lights in the upper airdam. I was wondering if there was anyone that has modified their X airdam or if anyone knows of a company that makes a replacement airdam that has lights in it? I think that it would look cool plus you wouldn't have to worry about lights sticking up above everything. [Too much XOC]

#64723 - 26/01/04 12:38 PM Re: Has anyone seen this
Coxd Offline

Sorry, I guess I should have searched for it. I will thrash myself vigorously for my stupid actions. laugh

#64724 - 26/01/04 12:48 PM Re: Has anyone seen this
Anonymous
Unregistered

laugh [Wave]

#64725 - 26/01/04 01:10 PM Re: Has anyone seen this
Coxd Offline

Gee...when did you register? [Crybaby]

#64726 - 26/01/04 01:48 PM Re: Has anyone seen this
xterrabull Offline

Loc: san jose, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Coxd:
I was wondering if there was anyone that has modified their X airdam or if anyone knows of a company that makes a replacement airdam that has lights in it? I think that it would look cool plus you wouldn't have to worry about lights sticking up above everything. [Too much XOC]
I did it; let me know if you're interested in the gory details:

EDIT to add links instead of pictures:
Lights Mounted
Light Bar Diagram

#64727 - 26/01/04 03:07 PM Re: Has anyone seen this
TremorX Offline

Loc: Waycross, GA
WELCOME TO THE INTERNET!

#64728 - 29/01/04 01:32 PM Re: Has anyone seen this
Anonymous
Unregistered

XTerrabull,
I'd like to know how you did it. It looks awesome.

#64729 - 29/01/04 02:19 PM Re: Has anyone seen this
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
Dammit... now I gotta chime in with the newbies... think you could fit 4 lights in there? Also, you got any close-ups to see how the cut looks?

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#64730 - 29/01/04 02:34 PM Re: Has anyone seen this
xterrabull Offline

Thanks for the compliments; the diagram in the link in my prior post is somewhat crude, but hopefully the text in the image is readable. I'll try to get some closer pictures; wiring is up the A-pillar, through a hole in the roof (under the footpad gasket of roof rack), & out through a hole in the rack to the lights).
The following text is from a PM I sent to Coxd that, along with the diagram, hopefully explains what was involved:

Well, basically I made a light bar that mounts below the air dam. The light bar consists of a section of aluminum angle (to which the lights are mounted) and parts of a cyclone fence clamp (it is one clamp, cut into 2 pieces; it can be found at some hardware stores). The fence clamp pieces are strips of steel with a half circle of curvature, the radius of which matches the curvature of the roof rack tubing. So, these fence clamp pieces are bolted to the aluminum angle & they loop around the roof rack (under the air dam) where they are bolted on using the same bolts that bolt the air dam to the roof rack. It's rather difficult to explain: the end result is basically a light bar with a half circle of flat steel on each end, which allows it to rest on the tubular roof rack; the curved flat steel ends of the bar have holes drilled in them so that when the air dam is placed over the light bar assembly, the bolts that hold the air dam to the roof rack also go through the holes in the curved flat steel pieces before threading into the roof rack. So, the light bar is sandwiched between the roof rack and the air dam.
As for the holes in the air dam, they're a PITA to cut because the air dam is ribbed on the back & it melts easily; I used a rotozip type tool & after cutting the circle with one pass, the plastic had melted & cooled again the the circle could not be punched out. I had to go several time around & pull out chunks of molted plastic to eventually get the center circle to come out.
Also, the lights are PIAA 910 driving lights, but I think they're discontinued. They were expensive (~$300), but they had the best combination of small size & high output that I could find.
I'll edit my original post in the thread to add a link to a diagram I made a while back; it's not that good (made in MS Word), but it might help a little to visualize.

#64731 - 29/01/04 02:38 PM Re: Has anyone seen this
xterrabull Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by austinbrtndr:
Dammit... now I gotta chime in with the newbies... think you could fit 4 lights in there? Also, you got any close-ups to see how the cut looks?
I originally spaced the lights so that I could add 2 more lights in between if I wanted to; but come to think of it, the wiring I have running up there probably couldn't handle the current draw (& I don't want to drill another hole in my roof!). The lights I have are actually somewhat small (but powerful). Depending on the light size, I don't see fitting 4 lights being too much of an issue.

#64732 - 02/02/04 11:52 AM Re: Has anyone seen this
Anonymous
Unregistered

Groovy.
I appreciate the time. I look forward to more photos. I hope you don't mind me stealing your idea/design...

#64733 - 03/02/04 12:13 PM Re: Has anyone seen this
Coxd Offline

Thanks for all of the info

#64734 - 03/02/04 09:58 PM Re: Has anyone seen this
xterrabull Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Xhubby:
Groovy.
I appreciate the time. I look forward to more photos. I hope you don't mind me stealing your idea/design...
Your welcome; I'll try to get some close-up pics posted this weekend. I'm glad you like it & good luck if you attempt a similar set-up!

#64735 - 14/02/04 12:27 PM Re: Has anyone seen this
xterrabull Offline

Finally took some more photos if anyone's interested.
Here are some closeups of where the aluminum angle bolts to the curved steel bracket that rests on the roof rack:
Bar 1
Bar 2
These pictures also show how the gear basket was cut in order to fit the light bar.

Here are some miscellaneous views:
Side, closeup
Side angle
Front view

#64736 - 14/02/04 02:48 PM Re: Has anyone seen this
Anonymous
Unregistered

Damm wish I had your talent, gonna have to find someone local here to do something similar.

#64737 - 14/02/04 03:33 PM Re: Has anyone seen this
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
xterrabull,
Have you ever dragged low tree limbs over the lights? Did they stay aim? Too many of the trails around here have low stuff that drags along the roof for me to put lights up on top, but I've been thinking of ways to protect them.

#64738 - 14/02/04 07:21 PM Re: Has anyone seen this
xterrabull Offline

Yeah...that's always a concern.
I took it to the end of a trail called Big Falls by Pismo Beach, which some may attest to as being full of low-hanging tree branches (though not very thick), & they stayed true.
That is the main reason I wanted low-profile lighting, as opposed to large lights mounted upright on a light bar/roof rack crossmember; not to mention parking garage clearance, etc....
I've got to say though, on a night run on a dusty trail, they help a lot; in such cases, I turn off the 80XT's I have mounted on the ARB because the dust back-scatters too much light.

#64739 - 14/02/04 07:29 PM Re: Has anyone seen this
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
Any issues with the wind deflector plastic melting or falling apart due to the heat from the lights?
The hellas on my ARB get really hot with the 100 watt bulbs in them. I can't imagine them having a piece of plastic in front of them without setting it on fire or just melting it.

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#64740 - 14/02/04 08:32 PM Re: Has anyone seen this
xterrabull Offline

Nope, no meltage.
I think as long as the plastic is not actually touching the lamp housing, or isn't on top of/directly above the lamp, it should be fine; air doesn't conduct heat well, but I could imagine convective heating melting plastic directly above the source.

#64741 - 26/02/04 11:21 AM Re: Has anyone seen this
Anonymous
Unregistered

The pictures helped. It's really a great idea.
After I'm done I might put up some pix.
Thanks again.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal