shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#647589 - 11/07/01 04:16 AM Torsion Bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes I know it has been posted before, but I want to make sure there is no new information. I want to raise the front up just a bit, say a half inch. How far do I turn my torsion bar bolts, or whatever the hell they are, to raise it half an inch? Additionally, how far can you turn them before you get problems and how much will it raise the front? I ask because I have heard of dangerous stories of the torsion bars popping out because someone tried to raise the vehicle too much. Thanks

------------------
2001 XE Silver Ice

#647590 - 11/07/01 04:44 AM Re: Torsion Bars
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Why do you want to raise your front end ?

Just for looks ? or to fit bigger tires in ?

if for looks, you will not see 1/2 inch difference in how it looks

if for bigger tires, how big ? 1/2 inch is almoust nothing, you may have to go much higher (1-2 inches) for big tires

check out www.maxc.org, for instructions

------------------

#647591 - 11/07/01 09:43 AM Re: Torsion Bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well both. My tires fit pretty snug and I am guessing if I hit a hole or something hard I will have some rubbing. I guess I will go to to half an inch and take a look at it and go to one inch if necessary. I just don't want to go too far to where it is dangerous or looks stupid.

------------------
2001 XE Silver Ice

#647592 - 11/07/01 10:00 AM Re: Torsion Bars
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
What size tires? Stock? Unless your bars are way out of factory spec, you won't have any problem with clearance.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#647593 - 11/07/01 10:05 AM Re: Torsion Bars
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Olegkha:
if for bigger tires, how big ? 1/2 inch is almoust nothing, you may have to go much higher (1-2 inches) for big tires

This is a myth.

Raising the front end, by adjusting the torsion bars, does not allow you to fit larger tires.

When you preload the torsion bars, you are removing down travel and increasing up travel, but you aren't changing any of the geometry. The suspension travels just as far no matter what you do.

If big tires rub at factory torsion bar settings, they will rub in exactly the same place when you have adjusted the ride height.

------------------
Regards,
Ian

#647594 - 11/07/01 10:16 AM Re: Torsion Bars
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
This is a myth.

Raising the front end, by adjusting the torsion bars, does not allow you to fit larger tires.

BUT!.. When you put on larger tires, they will rub the fuel filler neck in the rear, causing you to need a rear lift (shackles/add-a-leaf/spring-pack). Once you lift the rear, you will need to lift the front with torsion lift to even it out. So in a way, you need torsion lift to fit bigger tires. If you upsize your tires much at all, you will have to trim the front fenders. I think Ian was aiming at the fact that torsion lift will not help you out at all up front as far as tires rubbing. The only thing that will help you up there is cutting plastic.

------------------
blah!

#647595 - 11/07/01 10:35 AM Re: Torsion Bars
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Caver-X:
BUT...

Caver-X Dont argue with the XOC_GOD !

------------------

#647596 - 11/07/01 07:04 PM Re: Torsion Bars
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know of an X with 33x12.5 swampers, yes they rub, but I don't think they would have fit without a t-bar raise.

T-bars on Xs are all over the map, some are high, some are low. Apparently Nissan doesn't spec them very well before they leave the factory.

Measure the distance from your frame to the ground, on level ground and crank them up a bit, lower the X and measure again. There is no magic formula.

------------------
Goliath the X
Cloud White, XE 4x4, 3-Pack
31 X 10.5 M/T * AR-767 Rims * EOE Rock Sliderz *
MAXC Member

#647597 - 11/07/01 07:14 PM Re: Torsion Bars
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Goliath The X:
I know of an X with 33x12.5 swampers, yes they rub, but I don't think they would have fit without a t-bar raise.

We go over this about once a month it seems.

If they fit with a torsion bar adjustment, they have to fit without it.

Upper and lower travel limits are unchanged, nothing has changed except static ride height.

------------------
Regards,
Ian

#647598 - 11/07/01 07:15 PM Re: Torsion Bars
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Caver-X:
BUT!.. When you put on larger tires, they will rub the fuel filler neck in the rear, causing you to need a rear lift (shackles/add-a-leaf/spring-pack).

My fuel filler cover is gone, my 32's tore it clean off in Moab, and that's with the SLR lift.

Why ? Because uppward suspension travel is unchanged.

It's actually better without it. The tire bent the mounting tab out of the way, and now it just clears the fuel filler tube.

------------------
Regards,
Ian

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal