shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#648004 - 03/07/01 04:52 PM Stupid question...
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
This is a kind of stupid question, but I don't know the answer. I'm planning on doing some maintenance to make up for driving in high water. I know on the front end, I need to re-pack the wheel bearings. I'm OK with that procedure. What needs to be done to the rear axle? Does it have wheel bearings and seals like the front end? I haven't really read anything about this.

------------------
blah!

#648005 - 04/07/01 02:32 AM Re: Stupid question...
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Your right that is a stupid question, now go out back an chastise your self untill Ian will lets you back into the forum.

J/K

If you went in water high enough to reach the under-body water might have gotten in the air vents contaminating your drive train fliuds. As for the rear axles, I don't think they have packable bearings, but Gordon "The Warmonger" White is an expert in this area and migh be able to give you a definate answer to your question.

------------------
Relax, have fun
-Dustin
"We got loyal friends, we keep our heads held high,
We’ll stick together you and I!!!
" DKM

[This message has been edited by Kerensky97 (edited 07-04-2001).]

Xterra101.com

#648006 - 04/07/01 08:41 AM Re: Stupid question...
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Yeah, I know I need to change the fluids (and extend the vent lines) for all the gear boxes. I was more concerned with the rear axle (bearings?) itself. Does Warmonger visit this site anymore? (Did he ever?)

------------------
blah!

#648007 - 05/07/01 03:33 PM Re: Stupid question...
Anonymous
Unregistered

You will have to change the following fluids after deep water fording:

The gear lube in both front differentials. This will take care of the rear bearings since they are lubed by the gear lube in the rear.

Transfer case fluid. Use Dexron 3 transmission fluid.

Check the tranny fluid for water intrusion. Most of the time it doesn't seep in, but better to check it and make sure.

And last but not least, repack your front wheel bearings.

If you follow these procedures, you will save yourself a lot of money in the future. If you plan on off-roading, it would be a good idea finances-wise to learn how to do all this yourself. If you need a how-to on bearing repacking, FLXX is selling our Bearing Repacking 101 CD complete with video how-to for $10 including shipping in the continental US. If you are interested in this, the info can be had from either myself at warmonger44@yahoo.com or from my website you can reach in my signature.

P.S.

I lurk in this forum all the time. It's just that most of the time little here garners my interest enough to look at the thread. I wouldn't have known about this discussion had it not been brought to my attention. If you ever have any questions to ask me directly, feel free to drop me a line via private e-mail. My address is listed both on my website and in my profile here on XOC.

------------------
Gordon "The Warmonger" White

[This message has been edited by warmonger (edited 07-05-2001).]

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal