2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#648353 - 04/03/01 09:28 PM Any trick to removing the Driver's Seat?
number41 Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
I need to get under there to mount my Cobra CB box and the bolts that hold that sucker on there are stuck tight!

I am thinking they are just a pain and will require some air tools perhaps?
But I was wondering if there are any gotchas to this process.

Thanks.

------------------
Xavier
"I said, Reading is GOOD, can we start the story now?" smile

Small hands in third world countries make quality products.

#648354 - 04/03/01 10:09 PM Re: Any trick to removing the Driver's Seat?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Shouldn't be any surprises. I've had mine out many times. The bolts are tight though, so you have to have a sturdy ratchet with a good sized handle.

BTW, I put amplifiers under my seats and I cut out the carpet and used double sided tape to mount them. I don't really like the idea of drilling new holes in the floorboard. There are a couple spots that would be OK for drilling though that don't go to the outside of the vehicle. Make sure you have a good professional drill bit if you're drilling metal, as some spots are pretty hefty.

Quote:
Originally posted by number41:
I need to get under there to mount my Cobra CB box and the bolts that hold that sucker on there are stuck tight!

I am thinking they are just a pain and will require some air tools perhaps?
But I was wondering if there are any gotchas to this process.

Thanks.

------------------
ChuckH
2000 SE 4x4, Aztec Red

#648355 - 04/03/01 11:52 PM Re: Any trick to removing the Driver's Seat?
spike Offline

Loc: North Bend, OR
When installing my fire ext. today, I ended up having to remove three of the bolts that hold down the driver's seat so that I could pull the carpet up. The bolts are on pretty tight, but with a little elbow grease, can be removed. Nothing like trying to unscrew the 4x4 shifter knob.

------------------
'01 SE Just Blue 4x4
-PNWX member-

#648356 - 05/03/01 06:25 AM Re: Any trick to removing the Driver's Seat?
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
I think the nissan gorilla(tm) tightened the seat bolts and shift knobs. To loosen the seat bolts, use a high quality 1/2 drive socket (six point if you have one) that fits real well. You might get by with a rachet, but a breaker bar would be better. A piece of pipe to extend the handle and provide more leverage always helps.
When fastners are very tight you really want to use good tools. If a tool fails or slips off while you're pulling for all you're worth you will find new meaning for the word *pain*.

dave and Xtoy - and the nissan gorilla gets the last laugh

------------------

#648357 - 05/03/01 09:43 AM Re: Any trick to removing the Driver's Seat?
blueghost Offline

Loc: dallas, tx, usa
Totally agree. I lift and am in good shape and I couldn't get them darn front bolts loose. Grab a pipe and put it on the end of your wratchet like he said--always works.

------------------
blueghost
'01 Xterra SE 4x4

#648358 - 05/03/01 10:38 AM Re: Any trick to removing the Driver's Seat?
gx_ca Offline

Loc: san jose, ca
Quote:
Originally posted by spike:
When installing my fire ext. today, I ended up having to remove three of the bolts that hold down the driver's seat so that I could pull the carpet up. The bolts are on pretty tight, but with a little elbow grease, can be removed. Nothing like trying to unscrew the 4x4 shifter knob.

where did you install your FE? i installed mine over the wkend, too. put mine in the cargo area, right side, near door hatch.

------------------

#648359 - 05/03/01 01:03 PM Re: Any trick to removing the Driver's Seat?
spike Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by gx_ca:

where did you install your FE? i installed mine over the wkend, too. put mine in the cargo area, right side, near door hatch.

That's where I installed my maglight yesterday. The FE is down directly below and in front of the driver's seat. Doesn't get in the way of anything. It's mounted the same place that ChuckH's is. Check out his site http://aftershockx.1avenue.com/ in the interior mods section for a pic.

------------------
'01 SE Just Blue 4x4
-PNWX member-

#648360 - 05/03/01 02:30 PM Re: Any trick to removing the Driver's Seat?
gx_ca Offline

Loc: san jose, ca
Quote:
Originally posted by spike:
That's where I installed my maglight yesterday. The FE is down directly below and in front of the driver's seat. Doesn't get in the way of anything. It's mounted the same place that ChuckH's is. Check out his site http://aftershockx.1avenue.com/ in the interior mods section for a pic.

looks good there, never thought about that location. looks like if the FE's installed there, petite folks (like me) won't be able to move the seat forward.
& i installed my maglite on the passenger side of the shifter.
btw - nice web site, chuckh.
thx!

------------------

#648361 - 05/03/01 05:47 PM Re: Any trick to removing the Driver's Seat?
spike Offline

The FE doesn't get in the way of seat travel, front or back. If you're going to install there, just make sure you fit it where you want it before drilling. My FE made it somewhat of a tight fit, but it doesn't get in the way of anything.

------------------
'01 SE Just Blue 4x4
-PNWX member-

#648362 - 05/03/01 09:29 PM Re: Any trick to removing the Driver's Seat?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hey, people are stealing my FE idea! I appreciate the compliments and I'm very glad my site is being seen. It makes all the work worthwhile!

My seat easily moves all the way forward also. The trick is to get the FE low enough so the seat clears, far enough to your right so you can operate the lever, and far enough off the floor so the mat hook is still useable, if you care about that.

Thanks again folks!

------------------
ChuckH
2000 SE 4x4, Aztec Red

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal