2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#648760 - 26/06/06 05:36 PM A/C Recharge - DIY? Where is the port I'm looking for?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am an amature, so please bear with me. I also have little knowledge of vehicle engines and repairs, but am good at fixing about anything else.

So, rather than spend the $100+ to have it checked ($50) then have the r134a added by a shop ($45 per lb.), I figured I could do it myself. One thing, I don't have a service manual, and the stinkin' owners manual doesn't tell you how to do it!

I bought the refrigerant kit that came with 2 cans (18 oz. each), and also the hose with built in gauge, so I'm all set there.

Just need to know which port to do the deed through. The kit's instructions say to do it on the "low side", and not the "high side", as the can could explode. I think I found each of those ports, but I want to be positive before I venture into this.

Anyone know the answer this obviously simple question or be able to show a pic?

Thanks for the help!

#648761 - 26/06/06 07:06 PM Re: A/C Recharge - DIY? Where is the port I'm looking for?
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
I'm pretty sure that the high and low hoses have different connection fittings on them so you can't get it backwards. But I'm not at the vehicle to double check right now. Should have a blue cap on the low though if I remember right. And remember, don't overfill it because that will make the A/C not work also.

#648762 - 26/06/06 08:13 PM Re: A/C Recharge - DIY? Where is the port I'm looking for?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just did mine and I'm not very mechanical myself. The low side is the port directly in front of the drivers side of the engine compartment. It will actually have an "L" on the blue cap. The cap is easily accessible.

Once you have it located, follow the instructions on the can etc. Make sure you have the engine running and A/C on full blast. Also make sure your compressor is running (you'll see the clutch in the middle of it spinning with the belts/pulley. It's very simple! Also, DO NOT OVERCHARGE! You will most likely ruin your compressor.

#648763 - 27/06/06 06:21 AM Re: A/C Recharge - DIY? Where is the port I'm looking for?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't remember seeing a blue cap on either port I saw. Both had black caps, and one was near the front, right next to the radiator. The other was close to the windshield and up a little higher.

Maybe I should just let the pros do it, unless someone can talk me into doing it myself.

#648764 - 27/06/06 07:23 AM Re: A/C Recharge - DIY? Where is the port I'm looking for?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bremmy,

Seriously, don't give your money away. It is SOOO easy. And I just did my first oil change the other day so I have very little mechanical knowledge.

The one near the windshield that is up a little higher is your Low Pass. This is the one you want. The high pass is near the radiator.

Low pass = pressures in
High pass = pressures out

The way you can tell is that when you start your car , turn on the AC full blast. Open your hood. The low pass line will feel very cold. This is because the refridgerant is flowing through the line (unless you have none or are low). The high pass line gets very hot.

It takes all of 10 seconds.......

#648765 - 27/06/06 07:53 AM Re: A/C Recharge - DIY? Where is the port I'm looking for?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I'd fill it myself... you're just repressurizing a system that has leaked. You fill up your own tires when they get a little low, don't you? wink It's no more scary than that.

AAR, remember that freon doesn't get low for no reason. Go ahead and fill it to the proper level if it is low - but keep an eye out for leaks.

Presumably the gauge you got has easy green/blue/yellow/red markings on it so it is easy to tell where you are... Oh, and don't freak out if you see the pressure all the way up into the red - when the compressor is not running the pressure goes way up - so just make sure the compressor is engaged when taking measurements.

#648766 - 27/06/06 02:47 PM Re: A/C Recharge - DIY? Where is the port I'm looking for?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey you guys, thanks a lot. I appreciate all the help, and I WILL do it myself.

Just think, I almost retunred my kit today, but instead, I'll use it.

I'll let you know how it goes. [ThumbsUp]

#648767 - 28/06/06 08:58 AM Re: A/C Recharge - DIY? Where is the port I'm looking for?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Just be sure you have the can with the nozzle UP to release vapor, not liquid.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#648768 - 28/06/06 09:14 AM Re: A/C Recharge - DIY? Where is the port I'm looking for?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Just be sure you have the can with the nozzle UP to release vapor, not liquid.
Are they all like this - or does it vary? I think my friend who just did it said his instructions said to hold the can upside down and shake it. AAR - follow the directions for your kit wink

#648769 - 29/06/06 10:39 AM Re: A/C Recharge - DIY? Where is the port I'm looking for?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Done and done. I wasn't really THAT low, according to the reading, but after I charged it, using about 1/2 of an 18 oz. can, it's ice cold now.

Piece of cake. Thatnks again for the help from all.

#648770 - 29/06/06 11:17 AM Re: A/C Recharge - DIY? Where is the port I'm looking for?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
If you're filling a near-empty system, you can add liquid. If you're just blindly topping it off, you want to use vapor since the low side carries the vapor portion of the system. If you add liquid, you're it's going to expand and over-pressurize the system. I found that out the hard way a while back with our Civic, damn thing dragged like it had 4 flat tires trying to turn the compressor load, that was until the front seal on the compressor gave way and blew a bunch of oil and refrigerant all over the place...

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal