shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#649606 - 19/04/04 08:10 PM Propeller Shaft Lubrication???
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
first of all what is the propeller shaft, i think it has something to do with the radiator or something in the front of the engine???? secondly is lubricating this part a home job or dealer job and does anyone know how to do it??? thanks a lot.

Thomas Jefferson

#649607 - 19/04/04 08:16 PM Re: Propeller Shaft Lubrication???
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
They are the front drive shafts.

I know it is somewhere on here, but will regular black lithium grease work, or is there something else that I should be using? I finally picked up a grease gun and the adaptors from Sears (search for previous threads).

#649608 - 19/04/04 10:49 PM Re: Propeller Shaft Lubrication???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually, the prop shafts are both of the drive shafts, identified as either the front prop shaft or the rear prop shaft. Typically, just called a drive-shaft or a drive-line.

We use BG Wheel Bearing Grease at work, but I prefer black moly grease over anything. It's super sticky and handles heat and stress exceptionally well. I also like using it in the wheel bearings. If it's good enough for trailers towing boats and getting dunked in lakes, well then... wink

If you have the adapter, or it just has a regular zerk, then you just pump it up until you see the old grease pop out the vent hole.

Some guys pump until you see new grease, but it's not necessary. If you see water come out, keep pumping until all the water is out, and grease follows. If you just put a couple of pumps in every time you do your oil change, you'll be in great shape.

And remember, check everything again after any prolonged deep water crossings, or after any length of time spend under water, mud, sand, etc. You'll be happy you did. smile

#649609 - 20/04/04 08:04 AM Re: Propeller Shaft Lubrication???
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000472
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000390
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=000794
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=000748

over 80K and I still have never gotten around to greasing mine...

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#649610 - 20/04/04 11:43 AM Re: Propeller Shaft Lubrication???
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
thanks all that means those rats at Casa Nissan wont get anymore of my money. thanks again

Thomas Jefferson

#649611 - 20/04/04 04:07 PM Re: Propeller Shaft Lubrication???
Anonymous
Unregistered

i did mine a while back when it was cold out (big mistake). i ended up taking out the fitting and filling it in with a plain grease gun fitting, i stripped the threads of the fitting so i ended up using a jb weld equivelent to keep the thing in. it's been that way for about 4 months, no problems, and i have learned which adapter to use, much easier than the way i did it!

#649612 - 20/04/04 10:36 PM Re: Propeller Shaft Lubrication???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Someone stated that if Nissan put a plug there, then it must not be serviceable.

Wrong!

Nissan put plugs in the old WD22 Pathfinders and Pickups in all the tie rods, upper and lower ball joints, center link and idler arm. It was a cost saving measure, that the Dealership was supposed to upsell during future maintenances.

Don't ignore something just because there's a plug there. If you offroad your rig, service it. How many X's actually make it offroad? Nissan was just playing the check book and didn't put 'em in in some of 'em.

And replacing the cone zerk with a regular one, isn't enough to throw your driveline out of balance. You're not supposed to be spinning it up fast enough to see that anyway.

#649613 - 22/04/04 07:37 PM Re: Propeller Shaft Lubrication???
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I don't see any "plugs" in any of the typical grease points you mentioned. Any "upsell" would require a drill/tap job for each one, not a simple swap of a removeable plug for a zerk.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal