shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#650400 - 30/07/03 07:13 PM Installing Lift Kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

How hard is it to install a lift kit? I don't know much about working on suspensions. I'm afraid I may get half way through the installation and find out I'm over my head.

#650401 - 31/07/03 04:52 AM Re: Installing Lift Kit
Bogatyr Offline

Loc: Averill Park NY, USA
Jima,
Firstoff, welcome, I see this is your first post.

Installing a lift isn't hard, but experience is a real helper here. Additionally, do you have the tools necessary for such an operation? If you feel it might be too much for you, it very well could be.

What I'd suggest is to make friends with some local Xterra or other 4x4 owners in your area and get a feel for if any of them would be interested in helping you out. If they have done this kind of work, it would serve as a bit of an apprenticeship for you. Make sure you keep the person who is doing the work well supplied with food and their beverage of choice.

Bogatyr
1966 Land Rover IIa 109" 35k

#650402 - 09/08/03 01:09 AM Re: Installing Lift Kit
InfX708 Offline

Loc: Ft. Bragg, NC
I did mine by myself with the help of the instructions and a Haynes manual. Definitely need the right tools though.

#650403 - 09/08/03 10:46 AM Re: Installing Lift Kit
Saline Offline

Loc: Fruita , CO
Welcome aboard! I thought the same thing, I was afraid of getting in over my head, but it wasn't bad at all. I had a friend there to help me out but we put the lift on in a matter of hours. I used Mosi's instructions from the PNWX website and they helped also.

#650404 - 09/08/03 04:40 PM Re: Installing Lift Kit
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Quote:
Originally posted by Jima:
How hard is it to install a lift kit? I don't know much about working on suspensions. I'm afraid I may get half way through the installation and find out I'm over my head.
Are you mechanically inclined and comfortable tearing apart a new truck? It's not that hard, but the proper tools make your life a lot easier. I've done various lifts on 2 X's and 4 Jeeps. The first time I ever did one, I bought air tools and it took 2 days over a weekend. By the time I did my Xterra it was done on a Saturday in about 7 hours.

By the way which lift are you looking at. I'd recommend Calmini's it seems to give the least amount of problems.

#650405 - 09/08/03 06:08 PM Re: Installing Lift Kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the advice!!

I’m thinking of starting with a 3 pack AAL and cracking up the front torsion bars. What do you think?

Does anyone have a before and after picture of this kind of lift?

#650406 - 13/08/03 04:01 PM Re: Installing Lift Kit
X2K Offline

Loc: 41.556895 N, 72.665225 W
As long as you remember how it comes apart, its easy to put back together. Make sure you have a 20mm socket for the UCA's and a "BFH" for the ball joints. And for the rear, a friend would be very helpful as an extra set of hands especially when putting the leaf pack back together. smile
http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp/onepic.jsp?id=186476

#650407 - 13/08/03 09:41 PM Re: Installing Lift Kit
Bowski Offline

Loc: Great Lakes, IL
What kind of lift kit are you putting on? If you are just doing a 3pack AAL and t-bar crank then you could do that in about 3 hours tops. Just make sure you jack the rear of the truck up by the frame and not the axle or you'll be hating life, if you still have one. If you are going with a dedicated lift kit like the one offered by Calmini all you should need are wrenches up to size 22mm and sockets up to size 22mm. Plus ball joint separator ( this can be a pain in the ass but if you cut the boot off the stock a arm its waaaaay easier) BFH, and a torque wrench, a pry bar, and C-clamps. But if you are doing the 3" lift go ahead and do the steering at the same time. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. It isnt that hard with the help you'll get on this forum. Also review the instructions on calmini's web site and that kinda gives you an idea of what you'll need.

#650408 - 24/08/03 01:35 PM Re: Installing Lift Kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I did it! I ordered "Spencer Low Racing's 3-Pack Add-a-Leaf" it arrived on Friday. I install it on Saturday. It took me 1 1/2 hours to do the first side and 45 minutes to do the second side. I was working by myself. The spring pack went on fine it was when I tried to reassemble everything that I could not get the axle realigned over the bolt in the springs. I final got out my "Come A Long" hook one end to the axle and the other to the frame then I could move the axle back in place. The torsion bar adjustment was easy.

Before & After Pictures

Next project is ShrockBars, I have them on order I think they are still 2 weeks away.

Thanks for the help! This site is GREAT!

#650409 - 24/08/03 05:40 PM Re: Installing Lift Kit
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Deffiently notice the lift... wink

I did the same thing you just did and really didn't notice much of difference until I parked it next to a stock height X....

But I hope you remembered to adjust your headlights down a bit... wink

#650410 - 24/08/03 07:42 PM Re: Installing Lift Kit
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
So, you guys are just doing the AAL and cranking the stock torsion bars? Are there any warranty repercusions from this? Is it recommended to go with an aftermarket torsion bar setup? Should you do the shocks right away? Sorry for so many questions. I just got my new tires and I got the wife convinced for a lift. I want to order it and have it done before Christmas.

Thanks,

Mike

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal