shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#650499 - 20/03/05 06:41 AM Help on mod Day with harmonic balancer
xterraintx Offline

Loc: Eddy, TX..
Hey, this is rogers son. So, we are having a mod day and everything is going great doing a 3" Calmini lift and then we get to the timing belt. Everything goes smooth removing everything to get access to the belt and water pump but then we get to the harmonic balancer. I have done several timing belts before and never had much of a problem removing the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer. I got the bolt out no problem using my big impact but the damn pulley won't come off. Anyone have any tips? We tried prying and broke a little piece of the edge of the pulley so.... Then we tried a claw pulley and still no luck. My dad is on his way to stunnazone to get a harmonic balancer puller and hopefully that will work. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

#650500 - 20/03/05 07:26 AM Re: Help on mod Day with harmonic balancer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fasty, you put one in "performance"?
Anyways Roger's son. Here is a link to a great write-up on the process. Good luck [ThumbsUp]
LINKY HERE
[Smoking]
Edit to add-
" But you don't need a impact wrench or puller to remove the harmonic balancer. When I was a tech we would install a breaker bar on the crankshaft bolt and block it up against the frame or some hefty part under the vehicle. Bump the starter and the rotation of the crankshaft would move the breaker bar and break the crankshaft bolt loose. You have to note the rotation of the crankshaft and be careful to not hit the radiator or yourself.
Once that was removed we would "walk" the harmonic balancer off the crankshaft with 2 pry bar and cafefully once again. The breaker bar and pry bars were wrapped in duct also. On a lift this could be done under 10 minutes."

#650501 - 22/03/05 07:17 AM Re: Help on mod Day with harmonic balancer
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just did my timing belt on Sunday. You have to pry the harmonic balancer at two points, and it should just slide right off.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal