2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#650685 - 25/08/03 02:46 PM theftproof my cargo basket
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's only a matter of time before my cargo basket is stolen. I don't have a sunroof, so I don't mind bolting down the basket. Have people done this and what kind of hardware did you use?
Thanks

#650686 - 25/08/03 03:38 PM Re: theftproof my cargo basket
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
Although I've never heard of one ever stolen, wouldn't it be easier to just take it off when not in use? Have you considered allen screws?

#650687 - 25/08/03 03:45 PM Re: theftproof my cargo basket
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, seems the best thing would be to use the same screws that hold the deflector on (pretty sure they are the same thread). Then someone would need the tool and lots of time and patience to get them out. Unfortunately, so would you everytime you wash.

Frankly, I can't even imagine anyone wanting to steal the basket...the only thing it would fit on is another Xterra and even if it was stolen, it's not anything horribly expensive or hard to get.

#650688 - 25/08/03 04:15 PM Re: theftproof my cargo basket
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Loc: New Jersey
It would be quicker to steal the whole truck than take off the basket........ laugh

Stone

#650689 - 25/08/03 06:48 PM Re: theftproof my cargo basket
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the allen screw idea. Hard to believe, but before this car I had a 91 Cherokee. Over the course of a year in my neighborhood, the antenna, rear wiper assembly and front corner lights were swiped at different times. Nothing is worse than walking out to your car and seeing parts missing. Maybe a bit paranoid now, but rather keep it than have to scout around for a replacement.

Thanks again

#650690 - 25/08/03 07:05 PM Re: theftproof my cargo basket
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
Don't know if the thread even exists anymore, but I remember someone hunting down and ordering one way security screws, to replace all the screws for the rack, bars etc.

#650691 - 25/08/03 07:58 PM Re: theftproof my cargo basket
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds like you live in a crappy place. I would have to say that it was probably the same people stealing that stuff.

#650692 - 26/08/03 06:48 AM Re: theftproof my cargo basket
xterraintx Offline

Loc: Eddy, TX..
The lightbar I bought from AC came with security bolts! Maybe they would sell just the bolts and the key... Just a thought!

#650693 - 26/08/03 02:56 PM Re: theftproof my cargo basket
doxman Offline

Loc: Living in So Cal, moving to VA...
What about using some security Torx bolts?

#650694 - 31/08/03 09:05 AM Re: theftproof my cargo basket
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
Quote:
Originally posted by scooterNYC:
Thanks for the allen screw idea. Hard to believe, but before this car I had a 91 Cherokee. Over the course of a year in my neighborhood, the antenna, rear wiper assembly and front corner lights were swiped at different times. Nothing is worse than walking out to your car and seeing parts missing. Maybe a bit paranoid now, but rather keep it than have to scout around for a replacement.

Thanks again
That was because it was a Jeep...if they stay in one place too long (more than a few minutes) folks automatically assume you are parting it out smile

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#650695 - 03/09/03 11:40 AM Re: theftproof my cargo basket
Firebraun Offline

Loc: Reno, Nevada
I've seen lotsa baskets for sale here over the last couple of years. A lot of folks get aftermarket gear racks and such, then have no use for their stocker.

Seems like it'd be cheaper (than running an alarm system hookup anyway) to just get another one when a good deal comes along and have a spare sitting in the garage, ready to go, *if* your current one ever gets ripped off.

But if you can easily come up with some cheap screws with an allen or torx head, why not. But, don't forget, thieves have access to allen wrenches and torx drivers, too.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal