2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#653503 - 15/05/07 08:45 AM M/T fluid change.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have seen many posts about ATF fluid changes but am failing to find what I am looking for. I picked up Mobil 1 75W90 for the differentials but could not find the 75W90 GL-4 oil for the transfer case. One of the knowledgeable employees at Kragen said the Mobil 1 75W90 GL-5 stuff I picked up for the differentials is the same stuff I use for the transfer case. Now, I am no expert and do not claim to be, however, I assumed he was wrong. I am having an impossible time finding the 75W90 GL-4 oil needed and want to have it by Friday so it’s changed before goneMOAB. Does anyone have any suggestions or answers to what they used or what they know works? Please?

Thanks!

#653504 - 15/05/07 04:03 PM Re: M/T fluid change.
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
Are you asking about the transfer case or the manual tranny?

If the MT, then it's pretty hard finding GL4 oil and GL5 is NOT repeat NOT an appropriate substitute. A long time ago, I found some Coastal 75W90 GL4 at Advance Auto but then I gave up and just switched to Royal Purple synth. Maxgear, I think it was called. Ordered from Courtesy Nissan at the time.

#653505 - 16/05/07 07:37 AM Re: M/T fluid change.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I guess I am not sure. I was going to do the transfer case as it is probably time, but do you think I should do the MT as well while I am at it? I sorta waited till the last minute with this as I leave for Moab on Sunday, is there no place for me to get the right oil locally?

#653506 - 16/05/07 08:27 AM Re: M/T fluid change.
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Is it critical for this work to be done before you go? You're setting yourself up for a lot of pressure and that's when mistakes are made. Moab isn't the place to discover mistakes.

If you can, just wait until you return and do it at your convenience.

#653507 - 16/05/07 09:24 AM Re: M/T fluid change.
Anonymous
Unregistered

You have a valid point. Or find out I did something wrong in the middle of Nevada. I think I will stick to changing the diff fluids and leave the MT and transfer case until I return. Just seems that my truck would be alot happier with fresh juice in it for a week of wheelin. I have 48,000 miles on it, how bad can my transfer oil be? I think it will be ok for Moab, right?

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal