shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#653700 - 24/01/01 10:51 PM Gear Shift Lever Knob (5-speed)
terrano Offline

Loc: New México
Does anyone know how to remove the manual the shifter knob on the 5-speed? The factory service CD-rom does not give instructions on this.

I replaced the steering wheel on my XE with a factory leather wheel, and liked it so much that I bought a leather shift knob too. The new knob does not appear to be threaded. So how is the knob held on? Thanks for any insight.

2001 XE 4x4 3-pack 5-speed

------------------

#653701 - 25/01/01 06:45 AM Re: Gear Shift Lever Knob (5-speed)
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
The stock knob just unscrews. They used a bucket load of "locktite" on the threads though. I used a terry cloth towel and some vice grips to coax break it loose.

Your new one probably uses a set screw of some kind...

------------------
Thanks,

kjw & the
"PNUT-MNM"

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#653702 - 25/01/01 07:24 AM Re: Gear Shift Lever Knob (5-speed)
Hank Offline

Loc: Tallahassee, FL
Do a search on "Shift Knobs." There was another post started about this subject a little while ago. I've changed both my knobs to Nissan leather ones. They are hard to get off, but they do come off with some brut strength. Pictures to prove it
http://hkxterra.nissanpower.com/cgi-bin/i/images/knobs.jpg

Good Luck...

------------------
Hank
2000 Yellow SE 4x4 5 Spd.

#653703 - 25/01/01 07:34 AM Re: Gear Shift Lever Knob (5-speed)
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
Terrano -
You may be lucky as kjw, and the knob will just unscrew. I was not lucky. Lots of locktite was used on mine and it was tightened by the nissanGorilla(tm).
So your alternative plan is to carefully cut off the rubber portion of the knob then use vice-grips on the nylon insert.
Check the instructions for your new knob. It will need to fit on a shaft threaded 10x1.25 mm. The exact attachment method depends on the knob you have. If it will not fit properly, return it and get one from a different company.

dave and Xtoy - we make our own

------------------

[This message has been edited by DaveDatsun (edited January 25, 2001).]

#653704 - 25/01/01 07:52 AM Re: Gear Shift Lever Knob (5-speed)
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Hank:
I've changed both my knobs to Nissan leather ones. http://hkxterra.nissanpower.com/cgi-bin/i/images/knobs.jpg

Those are AWESOME! Wheredjagetem? and how much did they cost...

[/ducking-to-avoid-incoming-huge-number]

------------------
Thanks,

kjw & the
"PNUT-MNM"

[This message has been edited by PNUTMNM (edited January 25, 2001).]

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#653705 - 25/01/01 08:55 AM Re: Gear Shift Lever Knob (5-speed)
Hank Offline

Loc: Tallahassee, FL
I called Xterraparts.com one day after seeing a picture of a Pathfinder having a leather knob. All Nissans use the same leather knob, so I figured I would give it a shot and order one. It fit obviously, so when I couldn't stand looking at my 4x4 knob in its rubber state, I went ahead and order the 4x4 one also The new SC Frontiers have them too. Give them a call and tell them you want order a leather shift knob, and if you want the 4x4 one, it's in their computer as a Pathfinder 4x4 leather knob. The price is pretty expensive just to forewarn you. I forget how much though...

------------------
Hank
2000 Yellow SE 4x4 5 Spd.

#653706 - 25/01/01 09:16 AM Re: Gear Shift Lever Knob (5-speed)
terrano Offline

Loc: New México
Wow! Thank you for all the great responses on the shift knob. The NissanGorilla was definitely on the job when my truck was built. I was able to unscrew the knob, but not without damaging it. After several attempts, I ended up using a towel and Channelock pliers to remove it. The reason I asked the question is, I thought maybe there was a hidden lock-ring or something similar.

Anyway, a leather shift knob is not available for the Xterra, so I used one to fit a Frontier pickup with leather interior. The Nissan part number in the USA is 32865-9Z500 and the retail price is $39.73 (gulp!). The price is somewhat less in Mexico, where the Xterra is available with leather interior. The knob is indeed threaded, but hard to tell since the threads are deeply recessed.

Again, thanks to all!

The leather steering wheel I installed fits an Xterra SE, and is really a nice unit (includes an internal vibration dampener not found on the base wheel). The Nissan USA part number for this is 48430-9Z413, and the retail price is $237.08. I believe this is for 2001 model only. Air bag and cruise control parts are all interchangeable. This is probably not a project for beginning mechanics, due to the complexities of the airbag. A mistake could cost you an airbag, or part of your face. I followed the instructions in the factory manual very carefully.

2001 XE 4x4 3-pack 5-spd

------------------

#653707 - 25/01/01 02:54 PM Re: Gear Shift Lever Knob (5-speed)
Xrugger Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
terrano,

Would love to see some pics of the new wheel and shifter.

------------------
Xrugger
Just another post to get me one post closer to my blue X icon smile

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal