shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#655233 - 15/08/06 05:11 PM Brake shim question
ShipRekd1 Offline

Just put new front pads in my 2000 xterra. The pads did not come with new shims so I reused my old 90,0000+ mile shims becasue I already had the truck torn apart. Any negative effects of this? The shims were still in decent shape, just a lot of surface corrosion.

Truck stops well, but pedal is low. Should not have to bleed the brakes, should I??

Thanks

Jason

#655234 - 15/08/06 05:48 PM Re: Brake shim question
ChrisNYC Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, New Yawk
Well, hopefully you opened the bleed screws so the dirty fluid didn't get pushed back up the line when you pushed the pistons in to install the new pads. In any case you might need to add fluid and pump the brakes a few times. There is an excellent how to write up on the subject, do a search if you haven't already seen it. And yes, it's perfectly ok to reuse the shims at least once.

#655235 - 16/08/06 07:29 AM Re: Brake shim question
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Yeah - reusing the shims is fine - but you're not supposed to expand the calipers without the bleed screw open. They say that the fluid in the caliper is dirty (how it gets dirty I don't know) and that forcing it back up the brake line can mess up the ABS sensor. I'd bleed 'em if I were you.

#655236 - 17/08/06 03:13 AM Re: Brake shim question
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Dirty or not, how the hell could the fluid have any effect on the ABS sensor? confused The sensor is an electrical doodad that goes into the hub and is in no way related to the fluid. Maybe you meant the ABS control/pump unit that controls the pulsing? THe fluid does go through that, but it still seems far fetched that fluid backing up through it from the calipers would mess it up.

I didn't open my bleeders the one time I did my brakes, but I probably bled them right after anyway. I've replaced the pads once and I think I've replaced and bled the fluid about 10 times!

#655237 - 17/08/06 07:30 AM Re: Brake shim question
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
Well I guess ill own up to a dumb mistake.

When my buddy and I did my front pads we used the caliper expander and oops brake fluid comes out of the reservoir. Too many beers and we forgot to open the bleed screws, oops. Oh well we put on the new pads finished up and totally forgot to bleed the system and no issues to date (knock on wood).

I guess the Lord really does look down on children and idiots!!!!

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#655238 - 17/08/06 08:05 PM Re: Brake shim question
arizonax Offline

You know, I'm not a prude... I can drink with the best of them, but when you're working on a vehicle - ESPECIALLY the brake system why on earth would you be drinking?

Save the brews until you're done.

I hope you don't have a family relying on the safety and soundness of your efforts.

#655239 - 18/08/06 08:47 AM Re: Brake shim question
XRay Offline

Loc: The Mountains of East TN
I did not open the bleed screws when I replaced my pads. However, I did take the truck to the dealer and have them bleed the brakes before I replaced the pads. This removed the old brake fluid from the lines and calipers.

Brake fluid gets "dirty" from 1) contamination entering the reservoir and 2) being in service past it's recommended life span. That's why Nissan recommends fluid flush every 2 years.

Contamination (including rust) can damage the valves and valve bodies in the ABS modulator (aka ABS control unit/pump). I admit, it's a long shot (it would take an awful lot of crud to cause damage, plus you would need to push an awful lot of fluid back through the modulator), but it could happen. Better to be safe than sorry.

See my web page for a front brake how to: Xterra Service List

#655240 - 18/08/06 09:38 AM Re: Brake shim question
xterra3202 Offline

Hey Arizona if you had fuc@ing finished the post you would have known that nothing has happened (so i guess we did it right, wow!!!!). Maybe you should read before you open your flap!!! And I do remember writing that it wasnt the smartest thing I ever did but when you show us your abilites to walk on water then you can criticize [Finger]

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#655241 - 18/08/06 09:39 AM Re: Brake shim question
xterra3202 Offline

Just to add to the post bleeding the system will ensure its continued longevity. If for some reason you ABS modulator or control unit goes out you will still have traditional non-ABS brake power so that you can get the truck safely to a shop.

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#655242 - 18/08/06 01:08 PM Re: Brake shim question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xterra312002:
Hey Arizona if you had fuc@ing finished the post you would have known that nothing has happened (so i guess we did it right, wow!!!!). Maybe you should read before you open your flap!!! And I do remember writing that it wasnt the smartest thing I ever did but when you show us your abilites to walk on water then you can criticize [Finger]

Tim
slow down tough guy

#655243 - 18/08/06 01:21 PM Re: Brake shim question
arizonax Offline

I’d rather be a well known drunk than an anonymous alcoholic!

I guess this says it all for our friend xterra312002.

Actually, I DO walk on water. So when your brakes fail, remember it's just my way of cleaning out the gene pool.

[Finger] Back at ya, big man!

#655244 - 18/08/06 08:01 PM Re: Brake shim question
ShipRekd1 Offline

Would you 2 just shut the hell up! This board is filled with tough guys flexing their internet muscles. Just disagree with each other and be done with it...let it go man! Its not worth the wasted energy.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal