2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#655598 - 05/08/02 08:51 PM Front-end popping fixed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

So I recently ran into the mysterious "front-end clunk" everyone seems to be plagued with, but I think I fixed it.

The noise began Thursday when I pulled out of a parking lot with a good-size dip between it and the road. I heard a "crunch" then a "pop". After that, I kept hearing the pop sound when I would take a corner at more than 10 mph or if the corner had a bump or rise in it. I got under the truck and looked around, but didn't see anything. Then I did a search on XOC about this, and came up with anything from greasing the steering stops to replacing shocks to replacing crushed sway bar bushings.

Greasing the steering stops had no affect (really, is this actually supposed to work? I don't understand the concept). In fact, as I drove around today, the noise seemed to become more frequent.

So I climbed under the X this evening determined to figure out what the problem was. I checked the shocks - they seemed fine. I took a look at the sway bar bushings - they seemed a bit worn, but didn't seem to be causing any sort of metal to metal contact. I had noticed when I changed my oil last week that I had sheared off about half the head of one of the sway bar bolts. I figured while I was under there, I'd take it out and replace it with one of the rear sway bar bolts I wasn't using. I also put my socket on the top bolt of that assembly and gave it a few turns - the wrong way. I then tightened that back up, and it seemed that I turned the bolt more times tightening than I did loosening, so I'm thinking those bolts may have been loose.

After I tightened all the sway bar bolts, I took the X for a drive around the neighborhood before I put the skid plate on. No noise. I came back and banged around on the skid plate (I have a pretty large dent in it that could use some straightening) and installed the plate. Drove it around again - still no noise.

So I guess it's fixed. I'll drive around a few days, then check the bolts again.

Why did I post this long-ass message? Well, hopefully if others are having this problem, this helps. If others have successfully fixed this problem, they can give other insight. And if someone reads this and sees error in what I have done, they can correct me before I drive around too much and screw up my truck.

Hope someone gets something out of this (even if its just me).

#655599 - 05/08/02 09:47 PM Re: Front-end popping fixed?
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
Where do you live in Round Rock? I actually grew up the and went to Westwood High School. I lived around the Hwys. 183 and 620 area.

Anyhoo....I had popping in my front end and tried everything to rid myself of it. I finally (unknowingly) went off-road with out my stock skid plate...no popping. Seems that when the frame flexed, the plate would migrate a bit and pop in reaction to the flexing.

So I greased the contact points between the plate and the frame. Much quieter now.

Just an idea.

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#655600 - 06/08/02 04:45 AM Re: Front-end popping fixed?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Greasing the steering stops is more for a grinding noise, not a clunk.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#655601 - 06/08/02 07:18 AM Re: Front-end popping fixed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RedX:
Where do you live in Round Rock? I actually grew up the and went to Westwood High School. I lived around the Hwys. 183 and 620 area.
I live east of I-35 on FM 3406. I don't know how long ago you lived here, but that area is an explosion of new home neighborhoods. Good to hear from a local.

#655602 - 06/08/02 08:56 AM Re: Front-end popping fixed?
RedX Offline

It's been years.....I left in '86....the explosion was starting, then the economy crapped out there....now it's on again. I remember Hwy. 183 being just a standard 4-lane divided highway that I used to cross on my bike. From what I understand, it's now an elevated two-level, limited access jobber.

I am planning on bringing the wife there and show her where I grew up....if I can still find it..... I used to know the way...but I don't know if I'll recognize anything anymore. [Uh Oh !]

#655603 - 06/08/02 09:01 AM Re: Front-end popping fixed?
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
I used to know the way...but I don't know if I'll recognize anything anymore. [Uh Oh !]
Hell, I've lived in Austin for 2.5 years, I find that intersection changes on an almost weekly basis . . . laugh

#655604 - 06/08/02 10:49 AM Re: Front-end popping fixed?
RedX Offline

When I was there, 183 & 620 had at it's intersection a K-mart, HEB, Safeway (new...I worked during it's grand opening), and one undeveloped corner, and one undeveloped corner that a guy sold produce out of the back of his truck. I actually dropped the tranny out of my step-father's Oldsmobile at the intersection.

Can't even imagine whatit's like now. I hear there's a Target behind my old house. Not directly behind but pretty close to it.

#655605 - 06/08/02 10:55 AM Re: Front-end popping fixed?
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
When I was there, 183 & 620 had at it's intersection a K-mart, HEB, Safeway (new...I worked during it's grand opening), and one undeveloped corner, and one undeveloped corner that a guy sold produce out of the back of his truck. I actually dropped the tranny out of my step-father's Oldsmobile at the intersection.

Can't even imagine whatit's like now. I hear there's a Target behind my old house. Not directly behind but pretty close to it.
eek

Umm . . . it's changed . . . laugh

#655606 - 07/08/02 09:25 AM Re: Front-end popping fixed?
electrobuzz Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Jason,

Great breakdown of the problem. At about the same time you posted your conclusions, I posted the following. Since they are of similar content, I deleted my topic post.

"From my searches, I see that steering "pop" has been covered, um, more than once. . I removed the front skid and there is no apparent problem / errant movement in the steering. The click/snap/crackle/pop is definitely not the steering stops. And it makes the noise on almost every turn (even just sitting in the driveway, sometimes 2 or 3 clicks just past center, going left or right). No handling problems (yet!), just the noise... by the sound, not the feel, it's as if the steering is ratchet controlled.

I thought you solved my problem with the sway bar loosness, but the bolts are on fine. The "pop" happens when the frame flexes a bit thru the steering process. As I said, no handling issues, so perhaps this is just the byproduct of offroading, like the squeaky leafs in the back.

#655607 - 07/08/02 09:36 AM Re: Front-end popping fixed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well - knock on wood - 2 days and I'm still "pop-free" I don't know if it's my imagination, but it seems like the front end seems a little less loose as well. Who knows.

#655608 - 07/08/02 01:10 PM Re: Front-end popping fixed?
Xlax Offline

Loc: Vancouver BC Canada
You will not believe where my truck is right now !

I had the exact same thing happen, It comes and goes and finally I took the truck in this morning.

Worn out lefthand side body mount !!!!!. It is covered if you still are under warranty. I asked what caused it was was told that the mounts for 2000-2001 are shit (no kidding that is what they told me), IF you do any moderate off roading you will have to expect to change the mounts before 60.000 miles !. I was told they just wear out.

I had them change both front mounts to be sure I do not have to go through this again.

Let me know if you need a copy of the work order or anything to further investigate.

#655609 - 07/08/02 01:30 PM Re: Front-end popping fixed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very good to know. I got the Gold Preferred extended warranty (I'm at about 34K right now), so if the sound comes back, I'll bring it in and have them look at the mounts. I'm assuming that's the body-to-frame mounts, right? Aren't there 8-10 of those? Should they all be replaced?

Xlax - If you have access to a scanner, could I get you to scan those work orders and email them to me? Thanks!

#655610 - 07/08/02 02:34 PM Re: Front-end popping fixed?
electrobuzz Offline

Xlax, if possible, please email to me as well. That sounds exactly like my problem. Thanks.

How long will you be xless?

#655611 - 07/08/02 02:36 PM Re: Front-end popping fixed?
Xlax Offline

Loc: Vancouver BC Canada
I might not have the paperwork before Friday, they just called and advised me that they had to order special parts for this so looks like I am going in again on Friday, I do not mind as long as the "loaner" is a Maxima again !!!!!

#655612 - 07/08/02 04:03 PM Re: Front-end popping fixed?
UTJMAC Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Can you ask if you can look at the body mount to tell if they are shot(or what to look for). I have heard popping as well, and need to try to rule out the lift I just put on.

John

#655613 - 08/08/02 08:59 AM Re: Front-end popping fixed?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
At least the body mounts aren't all that complicated to fix.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#655614 - 12/08/02 08:33 AM Re: Front-end popping fixed?
electrobuzz Offline

to recap --
The click/snap/crackle/pop is definitely not the steering stops. And it makes the noise on almost every turn (even just sitting in the driveway, sometimes 2 or 3 clicks just past center, going left or right). No handling problems (yet!), just the noise... by the sound, not the feel, it's as if the steering is ratchet controlled. ...sway bar...bolts are on fine. The "pop" happens when the frame flexes a bit thru the steering process. As I said, no handling issues..

Got the news from Tynan's, the "club sponsor/discounter" for RMXC here in Denver. Word is, loose crossmember brace. That's it.
30 min labor to inspect and tighten it down.
The nice thing is, the shop did it for free.
One major plus of consistently going to the same dealer for service is they know you and will
take care of you. Thru RMXC, we also get a 25% discount on parts and labor.

Woo hoo.

#655615 - 12/08/02 10:08 AM Re: Front-end popping fixed?
Claus Offline

Picked up the truck late Fridya, The invoice does not really clarify anything but if anyone need it I will be happy to fax it to them. Seems like there is a couple of people with the same problem.

Very true about going to the same dealer, Besides fixing the body mounts they changed a broken tail light, Tightend the e brake, rotated the tires AND cleaned out my vents in the front as I had a ton of crap in there...

Claus

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal