shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#656451 - 17/07/03 11:21 AM Fluids?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am getting ready to change all the fluids in my X. I would like to know if ya'll reccomend certain brands of fluids. I'd like to know what you guys use for differential (LSD), x-fer case, manual tranny, brake, engine coolant, and any other fluids there might be. Please help me out ya'll, I'd like to get it done this weekend and I'd like to use the best fluids for the job. Just in case you were wondering, I am doing my 60K maintenance.

Peace,

MooT

#656452 - 17/07/03 11:51 AM Re: Fluids?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
This should help:
http://mywpages.comcast.net/xterra/tech/Diff_fluid_change.txt

Mobil 1 or any other synthetic is good for the diffs. I used Mobil 1 ATF for the transfer case too (note the warning in my how-to regarding the t-case)
Use a GL4 oil only for the tranny, NOT GL5. Hard to find. Apparently Redline MTL is OK though.
I used Castrol LMA when I flushed my brake fluid last week. Supposedly one of the best non-synthetic fluids around. I've heard bad things about Valvoline Synpower fluid as I recall. Start with the LR, then RR, the RF, then LF.
Coolant: Good ol' Prestone will do. Don't mix the long-life (like Dex-Cool) with the conventional type though. I'm not even sure if our engine is tolerant of the long-life coolants anyway, there are some issues to be aware of for it.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#656453 - 17/07/03 11:55 AM Re: Fluids?
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
I'm getting ready to flush my tranny with Redline D4 ATF which is Dexron3 compatible. Same stuff goes in the transfer case too. It'll take about 18 quarts total to do both (according to Brent).

For the Diffs: Redline 75W90 which comes with LSD additive. Takes about 5 quarts.

#656454 - 17/07/03 12:13 PM Re: Fluids?
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
ok... so after buying all these fluids and filters and all, how much cheaper is it than taking it to the dealer? I think my dealer is a little expensive @ $500, but he changes fluids, greases bearings, etc... while I sit in the a/c...

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#656455 - 17/07/03 01:04 PM Re: Fluids?
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
I had my tranny flushed a couple months ago and the shop refused to use any brand of synthetic ATF. Their opinion is that even though synthetic may have better cooling properties, it is inferior as a lubricant. They felt using synthetic ATF would shorten the life of the tranny. Any comments?

#656456 - 17/07/03 01:51 PM Re: Fluids?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Sounds like baloney to me. I've got 40K since I had mine flushed with Mobil One at 30K and it's doing just dandy.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#656457 - 17/07/03 05:04 PM Re: Fluids?
Toy Man Offline

Loc: Beaverton Oregon
Double balony. The local Nissan dealer flushed by auto tranny and re-filled the auto and xfr case with Mobil 1 with no questions. That was 3 or 4 months ago. No problems.

Took 17 quarts.

Toy Man

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal