shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#657023 - 14/01/01 10:23 PM X Dual Batteries
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been driving around for a week now on my dual batteries setup. I had to resolve a few minor quarks but so far all has run relatively flawlessly. So far I have found only one item that has shown up as a quark that I attribute to the isolator after diagnostic checks.

Apparently on start-up, the isolator sends partial charging to the aux battery. This causes the battery light on the dash to come on dim until the engine is revved to drive away. The problem takes a little longer to go away when the headlights are turned on immediately after start-up without revving the engine briefly to bring the alternator up to full speed. Once the alternator is wound up, the problem goes away until the next cold start.

It also could have something to do with the distance the current has to travel to reach the batteries due to the fact that they are both in the rear of the truck now. It hasn't been a problem that I need to be concerned about so far. But I am watching it to see if anything comes of it.

As for how the truck runs with the batteries in place, exactly the same as it did before with the exception of the above quark. I haven't noticed any change whatsoever in the starting or running of the truck with the new setup. I will next install my compressor and tanks and then will come my air locker in the rear. Once I start loading down that aux battery I will put it to the test (all that is running on it right now is my off-road lights).

------------------
Gordon "The Warmonger" White

#657024 - 15/01/01 03:46 PM Re: X Dual Batteries
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
What do sub-atomic particles have to do with this? ;>

Where did you mount the second battery? This is a great setup - not only for the obvious reasons like accesory lighting, stereos and camping - but also peace of mind. Nice work!

#657025 - 15/01/01 04:12 PM Re: X Dual Batteries
Anonymous
Unregistered

BoarderPhreak,

I posted a photo of it on the Florida Xtreme Xterra bulletin board if you want to see it. Both batteries are now in the rear of the truck. I had to run 1/0 cable for the main battery and 2/0 cable for the winch leads to accomplish it, but I don't have to worry about wires over heating!

------------------
Gordon "The Warmonger" White

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal