2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#657697 - 09/01/01 05:46 AM Removable Basket
NCXTERRA Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC 27609
I was wondering what difference it would make to remove the basket on the roof rack. Would it make the interior quieter? Is it better to keep it out for washing purposes? I don't have a sunroof so it really doesn't matter to me, but how many of you guys without sunroofs have taken the basket out, and why?

#657698 - 09/01/01 06:04 AM Re: Removable Basket
KillerX Offline

Loc: Maryland
Some people remove their baskets (with or without a sunroof) during the cold months to prevent ice from forming between the basket and the roof/sunroof which could potentially crack the plastic basket.

------------------
known as 2xterras on Edmunds Bulletin Board

#657699 - 09/01/01 06:16 AM Re: Removable Basket
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
I have an SE (sunroof) so naturally, I took mine off at the dealer and never put it back on so far.

My justification is a) I wanna use the sunroof and b) it's winter - I'd rather avoid the above mentioned possibility, and build-up of snow.

I'm sure I'll need it at some point and put it back on - but once I'm done, it comes off again. Mostly because of the sunroof factor.

#657700 - 09/01/01 07:11 AM Re: Removable Basket
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
I drove with it on last winter, it's off this winter. Never thought of the plastic cracking, I can't remember too much ice building up between the roof and the basket.
The real pain was the rapid melt and overnight freeze I remember. The melting snow would create a frozen waterfall over my doors and windshield. I have less use for it during the winter months, plus it's a little easier when I want to give my X a quick wash from the salt. ( remember to put the screws back in after removing the basket )

#657701 - 09/01/01 09:56 AM Re: Removable Basket
Tonka Ross Offline

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
I've left mine on, even though I have a sun roof. Not much sun in Inday lately, anyway. I did go ahead and buy some o-rings to act as washers for the bolts that hold the basket in. I'v heard about the bolts getting rusted, and with all of the ice and salt and snow and other junk around this time of year, I figured I better cut off any and all ways for these bolts to rust (you can also put grease on them to avoid rusting). Anwyway, when the sun comes out - the basket is coming off!

#657702 - 11/01/01 12:17 PM Re: Removable Basket
Tom_S Offline

Loc: Ft. Worth, TX
Mine's an SE as well. I removed both the basket and the wind deflector within a couple of days of buying mine. I don't plan on putting them back on, unless I absolutely have to carry something in the basket - you know, like a dead cat or something. I think it's actually quieter that way, not having that big windfoil up there.

I also think it looks cleaner that way. Just my humble opinion.

#657703 - 14/01/01 03:43 PM Re: Removable Basket
ZCaptain Offline

Loc: Rockwall, TX USA
Hey Tom-S, if you stuff the dead cat in a bag first, it makes even less noise! .
I took my basket off today and hung it in the garage until needed. I prefer the look with it, but got tire of remove/reinstall for cleaning under it.

------------------
Sean 'ZCaptain' Kester
Rockwall, TX
'01 Alpine Green XE 4X2 3Pack
'82 280ZX Coupe (modified)
'82 280ZX Coupe (modified)

#657704 - 14/01/01 06:20 PM Re: Removable Basket
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by NCXTERRA:
Is it better to keep it out for washing purposes?

Definitely take it out when washing your X, and take your wind deflector off too. You'll be amazed at how much dirt and grit builds up under there. As other posters pointed out, either grease (long-term fix) or WD-40 (short-term fix) the screws that hold the basket and wind deflector. Otherwise they'll rust.

Rubber o-rings are good too for the basket screws. Take one of the screws in with you to ensure you get the right size o-ring. They're very inexpensive; you can probably get 4 and 4 spares for $1.00 or so.

Russell

#657705 - 23/01/01 06:53 PM Re: Removable Basket
Fletch Offline

Loc: Kearney, MO
Everyone seems to have forgotten the critical reason to keep the basket on during these cold months. Slap a case of beer up there drive for 45 minutes (depending on the temprature) and enjoy it with the company of your choice.

Fletch

ps. NO driving after consumption!

------------------
Fletch
"We Know Who You Are... Bronze"

#657706 - 23/01/01 07:58 PM Re: Removable Basket
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
Frozen Beer Streaks down the window.. interesting.

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/x_canuk http://www.soxc.org/ member

#657707 - 24/01/01 12:46 AM Re: Removable Basket
spike Offline

Loc: North Bend, OR
Has anyone thought about a possible mod to the basket? My wife seems to think that it's crucial to the appearance of the X that it be on, yet I use the skyroof all the time. I was thinking maybe cutting a skyroof-sized shape in the basket and using some sort of modified hinge-type thing that would enable the skyroof to be raised with the basket still on(and empty, of course). I shall ponder this much more before ruining the basket, though.

------------------
'01 SE Just Blue 4x4

#657708 - 24/01/01 02:16 AM Re: Removable Basket
Anonymous
Unregistered

Spike,

One of our members did exactly that. He liked the way the basket looked but also wanted to use his sunroof. He removed the basket and cut out the bottom of it. That way he could have his cake and eat it too. I personally just took mine out the night I took delivery of it and it has been in the attic since. Our member who did its name is Thor. You can probably send him a message via our club bulletin board here (Florida Xtreme Xterra).

------------------
Gordon "The Warmonger" White

[This message has been edited by warmonger (edited January 24, 2001).]

#657709 - 24/01/01 04:43 AM Re: Removable Basket
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by spike:
I was thinking maybe cutting a skyroof-sized shape in the basket and using some sort of modified hinge-type thing that would enable the skyroof to be raised with the basket still on(and empty, of course).

Your idea sounds pretty clever since you'd still be able to close the roof and use the basket for its intended purpose.

Another smart mod was somebody who cut the middle out of their wind deflector and replaced it with tinted plexiglas.

When I read about it, I thought it might look pretty homemade, but he did a really good job and it looked sharp. Somebody here probably knows who that was and you might want to take a look. I'd do it except for one small detail...we own an XE. :-)

------------------
Russell

[This message has been edited by skyaa1 (edited January 24, 2001).]

#657710 - 18/02/01 06:37 AM Re: Removable Basket
jen_neiffer Offline

Loc: Hanover, MD USA
That's a great idea!

------------------
2000 SE denim blue pirelli scorpion A/T's eclipse powered fun loving X smile

#657711 - 18/02/01 06:38 AM Re: Removable Basket
jen_neiffer Offline

Loc: Hanover, MD USA
I'm going to give it a try!

------------------
2000 SE denim blue pirelli scorpion A/T's eclipse powered fun loving X smile

#657712 - 18/02/01 02:17 PM Re: Removable Basket
xtatic Offline

Loc: Clinton County, New York 200...
I have kept the basket on...then again I bought my X in January so I haven't had much warm weather to play with it. However, we did get some freezing rain up here and I noticed when I was driving that my X was throwing ice cubes at the people behind me. Was a bit worried that I would break someone's windshield but they noticed and backed off. Who knew? An automatic ice machine that keeps tailgaters at bay.

------------------

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal