2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#658084 - 27/02/01 07:04 PM Weird "clunk" noise when turning after adding lift...
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
I added on the SLR 2" shackles and cranked the torsion bars for 1.25" lift to increase ride height. Since doing that, whenever I make a somewhat sharp right turn I hear an odd "clunk" that sounds like its coming from beneath the X. I was wondering if it could be due to play in the rear shackles (see my post in http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/Forum24/HTML/000090.html)...? I did not do any extreme lifting, so everything should still be in line, and I made sure all bolts and parts were re-attached. Anyone have any ideas as to what this is?

------------------
Caver-X
'01 Alpine Green XE 4x4
Manual tranny, 3pak
31x10.5 BFG AT's Torsion/SLR Shackle Lift
Sedan-Basher rear bumper

#658085 - 27/02/01 08:19 PM Re: Weird "clunk" noise when turning after adding lift...
gothamist Offline

Loc: Virginia
Is your rear swaybar still attached?

------------------
gothamist -- MAXC member
http://www.beatdriven.com/xterra.html ---> moving to http://www.4x4LO.com

#658086 - 27/02/01 08:29 PM Re: Weird "clunk" noise when turning after adding lift...
gearhead1972 Offline

Loc: Brewster NY
Or maybe it is that gap that your new shackles have that you talked about in another post?

------------------
Kevin
00' Super Black SE 5 speed
31" BFG M/T's, ARB, Rancho RSX's
superblackxterra.tripod.com

#658087 - 27/02/01 08:40 PM Re: Weird "clunk" noise when turning after adding lift...
blenderhead Offline

Loc: Grovetown, GA, USA
I have the exact same upgrade, and I dont have any problems. Did you keep the rubber bushings in the upper part of the shackle?? Im sure you did, but its worth the asking.

------------------
Blenderheads Xterra Homepage

Greg Moultrie
00 Aztec Red XE 3-pak
4x4 Auto

Greg Moultrie
00 Aztec Red XE 3-pak
4x4 Auto

#658088 - 28/02/01 06:38 AM Re: Weird "clunk" noise when turning after adding lift...
Chris Mc Offline

Yeah, I kept the anti-sway bar attached, and kept the rubber bushings. I'm thinking that it might be when I turn, the leaf spring slides to the outside of the shackle, hitting it, and making the noise. Though, I can't move it at all by hand manually even when up on jack stands. An X in motion generates a lot of momentum force though... Maybe I'll try some poly bushings in there. Any suggestions what kind? Or do you think I could put some kind of spacer (poly?) on the lower end of the shackle so there wouldn't be a gap?

------------------
Caver-X
Member - Heartland Xterra Owners Club
www.hxoc.net

#658089 - 28/02/01 10:30 AM Re: Weird "clunk" noise when turning after adding lift...
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
try removeing the sway bar drive around for a bit see if it still happens, then put it back on. see if that is the noise. since your body is now higher off the axel, you will meet the end of the sway bar much ealier than before. approximatley 2" before. :-)

#658090 - 13/03/01 08:40 PM Re: Weird "clunk" noise when turning after adding lift...
jbgeis Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
I had the same clicking noise. Take the car into the dealer/who ever did the work, and make sure all the adjusting is tight. We had some bolt that wasn't tight and that was what made the clicking.

------------------

#658091 - 14/03/01 03:25 PM Re: Weird "clunk" noise when turning after adding lift...
Chris Mc Offline

Can't really take it back, I did it myself I had a full "custom suspension" alignment done, that made it worse. I tried crunching the suspension down with weight, and stretching it all the way out on jack stands, and could not find any contact/binding anywhere in the system, even when turning the wheel lock to lock. I'm just kinda used to it now. Over time, its gone away a little, but I can still hear it when I turn the radio off.... Oh well, weird. If anything breaks, I'll un-torque the torsion bars, and remove the rear shackles, and take it to the dealer to fix.

------------------
Caver-X
"He who dies with the most toys ...WINS!"
Join the Heartland Xterra Owners Club www.hxoc.net

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal