2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#660729 - 25/01/01 05:38 PM Hub Lock or Unlock, That Is The Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Many times on this board I have heard stories of auto locking hubs unlocking in reverse. Well folks, FLXX put the theory to the test this weekend and it is nothing more than that, a theory. I succeeded in burying my truck to the axles in mud over the weekend and decided to try and see if I could drive it out. I threw the truck into reverse and let it fly. Well, I only got the truck stuck worse, but lo and behold, the front wheel spun, tossing mud onto my hood. Now let me ask a question here, can that front wheel spin in reverse if that hub is not locked in?

I then tested the theory a second time. This time using a fellow members truck. (There's a little more to this story than that, but that's for another place.) After sinking the truck down in the mud, I then put it in reverse just as I did in mine and tried to drive it out. Well, the front wheel spun just fine, once again tossing mud up on the hood.

I am sorry guys, but as far as I am concerned, that proves to me the fact that the factory auto locking hubs do not unlock in reverse. Next time I will video it because I know this is going to start a war. Sorry for firing the first shot.

------------------
Gordon "The Warmonger" White

#660730 - 25/01/01 06:12 PM Re: Hub Lock or Unlock, That Is The Question
Ag_xterra Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
did you have it in 4wd when you were in reverse? i dont think i fully understand what this is all about. if my hubs are locked and i shift out of 4wd, then make the vehicle travel in the opposite direction they unlock. i'm not sure what the case would be buried in mud or not but i assume it would be the same.

------------------

#660731 - 25/01/01 07:46 PM Re: Hub Lock or Unlock, That Is The Question
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Pointless post from Brent removed.

[This message has been edited by xoc (edited January 25, 2001).]

Now what the hell is that all about??? I posted a link to a 4x4 shop that mentions the phenomenon in question alongside their Superwinch manual hub listing. What's wrong with that?

Brent

[This message has been edited by OffroadX (edited January 25, 2001).]

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#660732 - 26/01/01 12:12 AM Re: Hub Lock or Unlock, That Is The Question
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
You posted an ad to your favorite shop.

Warmonger knows where to buy hubs, and doesn't need directions.

The fact that it "mentioned the phenomenon" did nothing to explain why.

It's also a phenomenon of vacuum disconnect free axles (like on Jeeps) much more than auto locking hubs.

------------------
Regards,
Ian

#660733 - 26/01/01 05:39 AM Re: Hub Lock or Unlock, That Is The Question
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
I'm not sure whose "theory" you are talking about but, you are correct, it is NOT true.

Yes the hubs disengage briefly when you put it in reverse, but you are still in 4WD as soon as a load is put on the front axle.

------------------
Michael Girardo
Member - MAXC | Moderator - XOC
www.avaloninternet.net/users/bythebay/xterra <---Newly updated

#660734 - 26/01/01 07:02 AM Re: Hub Lock or Unlock, That Is The Question
Bayou Boy Offline

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Put the truck in 4wd and roll down the windows with the radio off. Now go back and forth in the parking lot so people think you're an idiot. You can hear the hubs lock and unlock as you reverse and go forward. 2 clicks each time. I did it last night.

------------------

#660735 - 26/01/01 07:39 AM Re: Hub Lock or Unlock, That Is The Question
BennyLen Offline

Loc: Huntsville, AL
Now I'm not a expert on this but I remember Pathfinder88 making a comment about that the night we were out there. He said that the auto hubs would only disengage when not under any kind of load. Obviously when spinning the tires when stuck they would be under a load. So perhaps that is the answer to your theory.

But then he may have been talking about something totally different.

------------------
Benny
2000 SE, 4x4, auto
Solar Yellow

#660736 - 26/01/01 07:52 AM Re: Hub Lock or Unlock, That Is The Question
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
JeeeeeeeeZUS! For less than $200, you can buy some manual locking hubs and be done with it... Lock it, its LOCKED. Simple

------------------
Thanks,

kjw & the
"PNUT-MNM"

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#660737 - 26/01/01 10:19 AM Re: Hub Lock or Unlock, That Is The Question
Philosopher Offline

No need for me to get into this I guess.

War, I'm not saying that experience didn't happen to you, but I will say that auto hubs disengage when you switch directions.

------------------
philosopher@angelfire.com
Philosopher's Xterra

Mid-Atlantic Xterra Club

#660738 - 26/01/01 10:40 AM Re: Hub Lock or Unlock, That Is The Question
X_Jeeper Offline

Loc: Averill Park, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Philosopher:

No need for me to get into this I guess.

War, I'm not saying that experience didn't happen to you, but I will say that auto hubs disengage when you switch directions.

Right, but it does re-engage if you keep driving backwards right. So wheel spin will lock it in after a period when it's not locked. Or is this explanation completely bollocks.

------------------
Gary

[This message has been edited by X_Jeeper (edited January 26, 2001).]

#660739 - 26/01/01 12:30 PM Re: Hub Lock or Unlock, That Is The Question
Philosopher Offline

As posted before:

Automatic hubs actually disengage briefly when the vehicle is in 4WD and you switch directions, i.e. frontwards to backwards, backwards to frontwards. The front wheels have to roll in the new direction a short distance before the hubs will re-engage (about one foot). This means that you're in 2WD until the hubs hook up again. When you get stuck while in 4WD, if you try to rock the vehicle frontwards and backwards to free it, you end up in 2WD for much of the experience, which means you might remain stuck because you don't really have 4WD to pull you out. When the hubs do re-engage, and if the back wheels are being turned by the engine faster than the fronts happen to be rolling, you get a big CLUNK as the hubs kick in again. That's hard on the hubs and front driveline. Manual hubs do not do this, they are either LOCKED or UNLOCKED.

#660740 - 26/01/01 01:32 PM Re: Hub Lock or Unlock, That Is The Question
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Ian, this is rediculous, stop nuking my posts, please.

Ok, once again, with no reference to any manufacturer this time.
A manufacturer of aftermarket manual hubs says the following on their site as one of the benefits to their product:
"Better 4WD... performance when the hubs are locked. Works in reverse and compression braking. No slippage or partial engagement / disengagement problems"

I guess there's something to it, nothing I worry about though.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#660741 - 26/01/01 01:49 PM Re: Hub Lock or Unlock, That Is The Question
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Still, it has nothing to do with the topic, it's merely advertising copy explaining why someone should buy non-auto hubs.

This topic was not about buying them, it was about Warmongers results of his testing.

Brent, you are merely trying to be a know it all by posting information found through other sources, rather than actually knowing that information yourself.

I've had just about enough of you.

Don't question my authoritaaaay !

------------------
Regards,
Ian

#660742 - 26/01/01 02:14 PM Re: Hub Lock or Unlock, That Is The Question
Philosopher Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Brent, you are merely trying to be a know it all by posting information found through other sources, rather than actually knowing that information yourself.

BWAH - HAHAHAHA.

I'm sorry, but that was goddamned funny AND right on the money.

Shut up, hippie!

#660743 - 27/01/01 12:57 PM Re: Hub Lock or Unlock, That Is The Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can tell you there was no hesitation on the operation of the front wheels. They spun immediately upon puttin the transmission in reverse. I will state that auto locking hubs are weak and that is from experience. (Iblew out a pair on a Jeep.) If you plan on putting a locker in the frontend, get rid of them. But for normal off-roading, they obviously work just fine as far as I can see.

------------------
Gordon "The Warmonger" White

#660744 - 27/01/01 01:36 PM Re: Hub Lock or Unlock, That Is The Question
Craisy Daisy Offline

Loc: Medord, MA
Quote:
Still, it has nothing to do with the topic, it's merely advertising copy explaining why someone should buy non-auto hubs.

This topic was not about buying them, it was about Warmongers results of his testing.

Muhahaha...

------------------

#660745 - 27/01/01 07:54 PM Re: Hub Lock or Unlock, That Is The Question
Sc00ter Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas(But retired Cali...
Quote:

Meddle not in the affairs of sys admins, for they are quick to anger.

------------------
#-----------------
Laziness is a virtue - Larry wall
#-----------------

-- A typical morning at Candlewood suites.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal