shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#661613 - 01/07/03 04:51 PM HELP! Wiper Delay Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

So I am a newb. I have Electroken's rear wiper delay and I am all set to install it. Only problem is I can't find a 12v power (on with ignition) source. He mentions splicing into the cig adapter in the dash. Only problem I can't get to it. I can't figure out how to take off the center consoule plastic trim. Also, I attempted to take the fuse box out but was unsuccessful. Any help?

#661614 - 01/07/03 05:38 PM Re: HELP! Wiper Delay Install
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
I was in the same boat. I removed the wiper fuse and then replaced it, wedging the end of the power lead in between the fuse prong and the metal piece where it plugs in. Not pretty, but it works.

If anybody else has good advice on this, I'd rather do it the 'right' way.

#661615 - 01/07/03 06:09 PM Re: HELP! Wiper Delay Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

How did you connect the other wires? I went to Radio Shack and bought these "twist on caps". You strip the end of the wire and then twist them together. You then twist this cap on top of it. I have sodered in the past but wasn't comfortable doing it in my X.

If no one replies to the power switch I'll try what you did. I'd rather have it "neater" though. If you know what I mean.

#661616 - 01/07/03 06:11 PM Re: HELP! Wiper Delay Install
ElectroKen Offline

Loc: Shelton, CT
If I had a 2002 or 2003 I could be a bit more specific about where to connect the red wire. My 2000 is different enough that it will be of little help. Still, there must be a dozen valid places to connect it. Maybe the 65 other people that have installed them will chime in.

Originally I intended to include connectors in the package but everyone seems to have their own favorite connectors. The ones I provided would end up in the trash more often than not. Small wire nuts will be fine. "Scotch-loks" like Radio Shack 64-3052 and 64-3053 work well also.

Not too many people are willing to lend me their X for experimentation. I can't understand why. [Freak]

#661617 - 01/07/03 06:14 PM Re: HELP! Wiper Delay Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know what you mean in your instructions Ken. I just can't find an easy access ingnition power wire to splice into.

#661618 - 01/07/03 06:24 PM Re: HELP! Wiper Delay Install
ElectroKen Offline

I was just at Monmouth Battlefield in NJ last weekend. After a 2 hour drive you could have had a weirdo in a Revolutionary War uniform install the thing for you.

#661619 - 01/07/03 06:50 PM Re: HELP! Wiper Delay Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bleh, hopefully I'll get at least one helpful reply on how to remove the fuse box or center counsole. Or even a better wire (with desctiption) to splice.

I'll wire it in the morning I guess. Right now it's all set and ready to go except for power.

#661620 - 01/07/03 07:52 PM Re: HELP! Wiper Delay Install
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
If you have a multimeter, you could find your own 12V source. Just turn on the ignition, ground your ground lead and find your source!!!

#661621 - 01/07/03 07:57 PM Re: HELP! Wiper Delay Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

English please? I have no idea how to do what you mention. Keep in mind there are NO wires exposed! This is why I'm having a hard time finding one to splice.

#661622 - 01/07/03 08:18 PM Re: HELP! Wiper Delay Install
Miikkaa Offline

Loc: Central New Jersey, United Sta...
Hi Suspect2,

I tapped into the cig. lighter for power. Here's how to access it:

Pull up the trim around the shifter. It's held by clips that take a firm tug to release. Pull this up and back and the two bottom screws for the radio/dash trim will be exposed. Remove these along with the two others directly below the hazard button. This trim panel, which also utilizes clips can now be pulled out far enough to expose the wiring for the cig element. I hope this is what you are looking for. Good luck!!

Michael AKA Miikkaa

Earth people suck.

#661623 - 01/07/03 08:23 PM Re: HELP! Wiper Delay Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Trim around the shifter. You mean right where you would move the lever back and forth? P,R,N,D,1,2 that trim? Or is it a bigger piece. I know there are 2 screws down there. I have no idea how to actually expose them.

Also, you tapped into the cig wire? Was it a Red and Black wire?

#661624 - 01/07/03 08:49 PM Re: HELP! Wiper Delay Install
Miikkaa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Suspect2:
Trim around the shifter. You mean right where you would move the lever back and forth? P,R,N,D,1,2 that trim? Or is it a bigger piece. I know there are 2 screws down there. I have no idea how to actually expose them.

Also, you tapped into the cig wire? Was it a Red and Black wire?
The trim is the whole Titanium-colored piece surrounding and including the gear selector and t-case lever (for your 4wd). It's easier if you pull up from the edge of the lever boot. Also, you have an automatic so I don't know if you have to take it out of park to get the trim back enough. As for the wire, tap into the red/power lead. If I remember my '02 was r/g: red with a green stripe. There are only two leads so it shouldn't be hard.

Michael AKA Miikkaa

Earth people suck.

#661625 - 01/07/03 09:09 PM Re: HELP! Wiper Delay Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just got it! Sweet. Works perfect. Thanks for the info on how to access those screws.

#661626 - 01/07/03 09:11 PM Re: HELP! Wiper Delay Install
Miikkaa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ElectroKen:
I was just at Monmouth Battlefield in NJ last weekend. After a 2 hour drive you could have had a weirdo in a Revolutionary War uniform install the thing for you.
Hey Ken,

I see you ran into the locals!! You were in my neck of the woods. We might seem strange but we all don't dress like that. laugh

Michael AKA Miikkaa

Earth people suck.

#661627 - 01/07/03 09:11 PM Re: HELP! Wiper Delay Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Word of advice when pulling the trim. Your gear selector needs to be out of park. MAKE SURE YOUR SET YOU PARKING BRAKE BEFORE! I found myself pushing a 4000lb Xterra trying to prevent it from crashing into a curb. I couldn't reach the foot brake because of the dash piece I pulled. In a clutch decision I pushed the Parking Brake and saved my ass.

#661628 - 01/07/03 09:16 PM Re: HELP! Wiper Delay Install
Miikkaa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Suspect2:
I just got it! Sweet. Works perfect. Thanks for the info on how to access those screws.
No problem!! Take care and sleep at ease now. laugh

Michael AKA Miikkaa

Earth people suck.

#661629 - 02/07/03 02:56 AM Re: HELP! Wiper Delay Install
ElectroKen Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Miikkaa:
Quote:
Originally posted by ElectroKen:
[b]I was just at Monmouth Battlefield in NJ last weekend. After a 2 hour drive you could have had a weirdo in a Revolutionary War uniform install the thing for you.
Hey Ken,

I see you ran into the locals!! You were in my neck of the woods. We might seem strange but we all don't dress like that. laugh [/b]
Forget the locals. I was one of the weirdos!

#661630 - 02/07/03 04:04 AM Re: HELP! Wiper Delay Install
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Maybe you're done by now but as for the connectors, the wire nuts you mentioned require cutting the wires so you have ends to twist together. Technically fine I'm sure but it makes one squeamish to be cutting wires in a new vehicle. Any auto parts store or Radio Shack will have 'in-line' splice-type connectors, which have two little half-pipe looking channels the new and current wires fit in, then you close and squeeze and the connector itself has metal prongs that punch into the wires to make the connection. Neat and effective.

#661631 - 03/07/03 04:02 PM Re: HELP! Wiper Delay Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

I cut the wires. I went to Radio Shack and told the guy what I needed to do. He pointed out these twist caps. I didn't see any of the in-line splices like you mentioned. A little messier I am sure but works great.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal