2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 15 of 16 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#664266 - 02/12/07 12:09 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky:
No BCS yet, but the AP and USA TODAY polls are out and share the same top 5:

1. Ohio State
2. LSU
3. Oklahoma
4. Georgia
5. Virginia Tech

Missouri fell to #7 in one and #8 in the other.
My money's on tOSU and LSU, though I personally feel like at this point in the year USC, Georgia, and (grumble) Oklahoma probably have the three best teams.

#664267 - 02/12/07 02:38 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

I really like what Pete has done for USC but they haven't had a great season. They only beat 2 opponents with winning records. The Stanford loss hurt big time.

It's a toss up which was worse now, USC-Stanford or WVU and Pitt.

#664268 - 02/12/07 03:13 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by pnwbeers:
That makes no sense at all. In the Pac 10 you play every single team, meaning you'll play all of the best teams in the conference. While a Big 12 team is guaranteed a decent opponent in the championship game, that team could miss the tough teams in conference during the regular season. Like Kansas this year - no Texas and no OU. Having to play both of those teams in the regular season is tougher than just having to play one of them in the championship game.

Yes, that is correct, but still doesn't solve the example that I gave. I'm just saying it's probably better to have a CCG because it gives you your true conference champion (kind of like what a playoff would do). Also, it hurts teams like KU and Mizzou more because they'll have to face a tough in the last game of the season which could knock them out of the picture if they are living a lie... just like we saw.
Quote:
]Like I said Crabtree is a standout, but beyond him I'd give Hawaii's receivers the edge over Tech's. Just my opinion.
Crabtree is indeed a standout and beyond him, the rest is at least like Hawaii. Doing simple math gives the edge to Tech, imo.

#664269 - 02/12/07 08:38 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bring on a playoff of the top 16 teams.

Any championship that relies on voting or judging to crown the winner is not a sport.

#664270 - 02/12/07 09:33 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric P.:
Bring on a playoff of the top 16 teams.

Any championship that relies on voting or judging to crown the winner is not a sport.
combine this with every conference having a CCG or no conference have a CCG, and we'll be in business!

may the BCS die quickly and slowly rot in hell.
[Too much XOC]

However, voting still takes a part in it. #17 will still bitch about being left out by the pollsters.

#664271 - 03/12/07 04:48 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by cruzinfrontier:
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric P.:
[b]Bring on a playoff of the top 16 teams.

combine this with every conference having a CCG or no conference have a CCG, and we'll be in business!

may the BCS die quickly and slowly rot in hell.
[Too much XOC]

However, voting still takes a part in it. #17 will still bitch about being left out by the pollsters.[/b]
Use the computers like basketball does for the 65 teams.

#664272 - 03/12/07 06:38 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cruzinfrontier:
However, voting still takes a part in it. #17 will still bitch about being left out by the pollsters.
Yeah, but the quality of bitching will be significantly less than what we have now... by like 99%. You hardly hear about those that bitch about not being in the NCAA tournament in basketball. They are there every year, but they always sound foolish.

I think an 8 team would be more appropriate. A 16 team might taint the regular season too much. Hell, I'd be happy with 4... anything more than this BSc.

#664273 - 03/12/07 07:35 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rose Bowl:
Southern California vs. Illinois
Jan. 1, 4:30 p.m. ABC

Sugar Bowl:
Hawaii vs. Georgia
Jan. 1, 8:30 p.m. FOX

Fiesta Bowl:
Oklahoma vs. West Virginia
Jan. 2, 8 p.m. FOX

Orange Bowl:
Miami Virginia Tech vs. Kansas
Jan. 3, 8 p.m. FOX

BCS National Championship:
Ohio State vs. LSU
Jan. 7, 8 p.m. FOX

#664274 - 03/12/07 11:55 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hawaii didn't get nearly as lucky as Utah and Boise State did in terms of their BCS opponent. I don't know if they've got the firepower to keep up with Georgia. But I guess since their game is more finesse than power, maybe they can get Georgia overpursuing and win in a shootout.

#664275 - 03/12/07 12:19 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hawaii will win.

#664276 - 03/12/07 02:45 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by pnwbeers:
Hawaii didn't get nearly as lucky as Utah and Boise State did in terms of their BCS opponent. I don't know if they've got the firepower to keep up with Georgia. But I guess since their game is more finesse than power, maybe they can get Georgia overpursuing and win in a shootout.
I want to see Hawaii just pound the shit out of Georgia (don't know that will happen but it'd be fun as all hell). The BCS system needs to go away now.

#664277 - 03/12/07 05:41 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Hey pnwbeers and other Pac-10ers... how would you like facing Mike Leach every year?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3138961

Quote:
Boise State's Chris Petersen, Texas Tech's Mike Leach and former NFL coach Steve Mariucci reportedly have been contacted by UCLA about the job

#664278 - 03/12/07 06:43 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
Hey pnwbeers and other Pac-10ers... how would you like facing Mike Leach every year?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3138961

Quote:
Boise State's Chris Petersen, [b]Texas Tech's Mike Leach and former NFL coach Steve Mariucci reportedly have been contacted by UCLA about the job
[/b]
What's his highest finishing ranking? I looked into him a bit, and he's a pretty mediocre recruiter (top 25 classes are the exception, not the norm) and he's never won 10 games in a conference that such a performance is easier than in the Pac 10 (imo). But he's been pretty consistant at a place that's gotta be tough to recruit to and he wins regularly. Big game wise he's done okay. Not a ton of wins, but he has beaten teams with considerably more talent (OU twice and Cal a few years back pop to mind). I do think he'd be a step up from Dorrell, but UCLA is a tougher place to coach than it looks like from the outside. Brentwood is expensive as hell to live and the assistants are paid very poorly, and good assistants are critical in CFB. UCLA has overall the best athletic program of any university in the country, and they've won more NCAA national championships than any other university...but, football isn't the priority there. Nonetheless, he could get ahtletes at UCLA that the couldn't get at Tech, and that could make for one dangerous passing-spread type of team.

Peterson told the media today that he has no interest in UCLA. Take that for what it's worth, but he can definitely take a bigger leap in the next year or two if he holds out.

I guess my opinion is that they should've kept Dorrell. Not that I get any benefit from UCLA struggling, mind you. laugh

#664279 - 04/12/07 04:31 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
From what I've read, Leach would be perfect for L.A. ..

He's just the loopy kind of character that just might thrive in the city of angels...

#664280 - 04/12/07 08:01 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
mineralblue Offline

http://www.star-telegram.com/college_sports/story/339992.html

Quote:

Stoops picks OU as his No. 1 team, votes LSU No. 6
By JIMMY BURCH
Star-Telegram Staff Writer
Although his team fell short of landing a spot in the BCS Championship Game, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops did his best to propel the Sooners into the mix.

Stoops joined South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier, Stoops' mentor and former boss, as the only voters in the USA Today/coaches poll who placed the Sooners at No. 1 on their final regular-season ballots. Coaches' ballots were made public Monday, one day after release of the final BCS standings. OU (11-2) finished fourth in the BCS, which uses the coaches' poll as one of its three factors.

After a 38-17 victory over then-No. 1 Missouri in Saturday's Big 12 Championship Game, Stoops issued an open plea for votes, saying his team was "playing the best, right now" among the nation's college football teams. Stoops backed his words with action, placing OU atop his ballot -- one spot ahead of Ohio State, which finished first in the BCS standings and the coaches poll.

LSU (11-2), the No. 2 team in the BCS and Ohio State's opponent in the Jan. 7 national championship game, was sixth on Stoops' ballot. Virginia Tech, which also finished ahead of OU in the BCS standings, was fifth on Stoops' ballot.

Stoops was unavailable for comment on Monday's Big 12 coaches teleconference. But he was far from the only coach whose ballot raised eyebrows when it became public Monday. Other notable items:

Hawaii (12-0), which needed to finish 12th or higher in the final standings to earn a BCS bowl berth, received one first-place vote in the coaches' poll. It came from New Mexico State coach Hal Mumme, whose school is a member of the WAC, where Hawaii is the conference champ.

Dennis Franchione, the former Texas A&M coach, rated No. 3 Oklahoma, No. 17 Texas and No. 10 Hawaii below their finishing places in the final coaches poll. On Franchione's ballot, Oklahoma was sixth; Texas was 20th and Hawaii was 22nd. Franchione ranked Hawaii, the nation's only unbeaten team, the lowest of any voter among the 60 participants in the coaches poll.

Unranked Houston (8-4), TCU's opponent in the Dec. 28 Texas Bowl, received three points in the coaches' poll. All came courtesy of former Cougars coach Art Briles, the new Baylor coach, who had Houston at No. 23 on his ballot.

Howard Schnellenberger, coach at Florida Atlantic, voted Kansas (No. 2), Hawaii (No. 3), Missouri (No. 4), LSU (No. 5) and Virginia Tech (No. 6) ahead of seventh-ranked Oklahoma on his ballot. Schnellenberger was fired as the OU coach after the 1995 season.

LSU coach Les Miles, whose team jumped from seventh to second in the final BCS standings with its 21-14 victory over Tennessee in the Southeastern Conference title game, placed his own team at the top of his ballot. The rest of Miles' top five: Ohio State (No. 2), Georgia (No. 3), Virginia Tech (No. 4) and Oklahoma (No. 5).

Texas Tech coach Mike Leach, who placed the unranked Red Raiders at No. 22 on his ballot, said the upset-filled 2007 season made voting "kind of hard" and pointed out the need for a playoff system.

Texas coach Mack Brown, another playoff proponent, concurred.

"I thought there were four or five teams capable of playing for the national championship," said Brown, who placed the Longhorns at No. 17 on his ballot and identified the nation's top five teams -- in order -- as Ohio State, LSU, Oklahoma, Kansas and Southern California.

"This was at least as difficult as deciding last year between Florida and Michigan [as the second BCS championship-game participant]. This year, more than any other, shows we need a playoff. But there's nothing I've heard about that would make me think anyone is working in that direction."

How they voted

A look at some of the final votes in the USA Today coaches poll:

Art Briles, ex-Houston (now Baylor coach): 1. LSU; 2. Oklahoma; 3. Missouri; 4. Ohio State; 5. Virginia Tech; 6. Georgia; 7. Kansas; 8. Southern Cal; 9. West Virginia; 10. Hawaii; 11. Florida; 12. Arizona State; 13. Illinois; 14. Clemson; 15. Wisconsin; 16. Cincinnati; 17. Texas; 18. Tennessee; 19. Brigham Young; 20. Central Florida; 21. Boston College; 22. Virginia; 23. Houston; 24. Auburn; 25. Boise State.

Mack Brown, Texas: 1. Ohio State; 2. LSU; 3. Oklahoma; 4. Kansas; 5. Southern Cal; 6. Virginia Tech; 7. Georgia; 8. Missouri; 9. Arizona State; 10. West Virginia; 11. Florida; 12. Boston College; 13. Hawaii; 14. Illinois; 15. Wisconsin; 16. Clemson; 17. Texas; 18. Brigham Young; 19. Auburn; 20. Virginia; 21. Oregon State; 22. Arkansas; 23. Cincinnati; 24. Boise State; 25. Oregon.

Bill Callahan, ex-Nebraska: 1. Ohio State; 2. Oklahoma; 3. Southern Cal; 4. LSU; 5. Virginia Tech; 6. Hawaii; 7. Georgia; 8. Missouri; 9. Kansas; 10. Arizona State; 11. West Virginia; 12. Brigham Young; 13. Boston College; 15. Florida; 16. Illinois; 17. Boise; 18. Virginia; 19. Cincinnati; 20. Clemson; 21. Wisconsin; 22. Auburn; 23. Tennessee; 24. South Florida; 25. Central Florida.

Dennis Franchione, ex-Texas A&M: 1. Ohio State; 2. Southern Cal; 3. LSU; 4. Georgia; 5. Virginia Tech; 6. Oklahoma; 7. Missouri; 8. Kansas; 9. West Virginia; 10. Boston College; 11. Florida; 12. Illinois; 13. Arizona; 14. Virginia; 15. Wisconsin; 16. Clemson; 17. Brigham Young; 18. Tennessee; 19. South Florida; 20. Texas; 21. Cincinnati; 22. Hawaii; 23. Connecticut; 24. Boise State; 25. Oregon.

Dan Hawkins, Colorado: 1. LSU; 2. Oklahoma; 3. Ohio State; 4. Virginia Tech; 5. Missouri; 6. Georgia; 7. Kansas; 8. Florida; 9. Southern Cal; 10. Arizona State; 11. West Virginia; 12. Boston College; 13. Tennessee; 14. Hawaii; 15. Illinois; 16. Clemson; 17. Texas; 18. Wisconsin; 19. Virginia; 20. Auburn; 21. Texas Tech; 22. Cincinnati; 23. Brigham Young; 24. Boise State; 25. Air Force.

Mike Leach, Texas Tech: 1. Ohio State; 2. Georgia; 3. Kansas; 4. Oklahoma; 5. LSU; 6. Missouri; 7. Virginia Tech; 8. Southern Cal; 9. West Virginia; 10. Florida; 11. Arizona State; 12. Illinois; 13. Wisconsin; 14. Clemson; 15. Boston College; 16. Tennessee; 17. Hawaii; 18. Texas; 19. Brigham Young; 20. Virginia; 21. Auburn; 22. Texas Tech; 23. Arkansas; 24. Cincinnati; 25. South Florida.

Gary Patterson, TCU: 1. Ohio State; 2. LSU; 3. Georgia; 4. Oklahoma; 5. Kansas; 6. Virginia Tech; 7. Southern Cal; 8. Missouri; 9. Florida; 10. West Virginia; 11. Hawaii; 12. Arizona State; 13. Boston College; 14. Illinois; 15. Clemson; 16. Texas; 17. Tennessee; 18. Penn State; 19. Brigham Young; 20. Auburn; 21. Virginia; 22. Boise State; 23. Cincinnati; 24. South Florida; 25. Oregon State.

Bob Stoops, Oklahoma: 1. Oklahoma; 2. Ohio State; 3. Missouri; 4. Kansas; 5. Virginia Tech; 6. LSU; 7. Southern Cal; 8. Georgia; 9. Arizona State; 10. Hawaii; 11. West Virginia; 12. Boston College; 13. Texas; 14. Florida; 15. Tennessee; 16. Illinois; 17. Clemson; 18. Wisconsin; 19. Virginia; 20. Texas Tech; 21. South Florida; 22. Auburn; 23. Arkansas; 24. Cincinnati; 25. Brigham Young.

#664281 - 05/12/07 04:06 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
These last couple of posts illustrate exactly why any kind of poll is a joke.

#664282 - 05/12/07 06:35 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

The best was where Tommy Bowden voted OU 10th and Mizzou 6th! [LOL] The system sucks. [ThumbsDown]

#664283 - 11/12/07 06:31 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

OHIO STATE 19
LSU 17

I still can't believe that the Orange Bowl took Kansas over Mizz. Oklahoma is going to kill WVU. I think that they are playing some of the best ball. I understand the anger of some of the top teams being left out of the BCS championship game. As a Buckeye fan, I am happy that we have been given a shot to erase the beat down that Florida put to us last year. Go Bucks.

#664284 - 16/12/07 11:47 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

#664285 - 16/12/07 11:07 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
mineralblue Offline

Quote:
Interesting move:

Rodriguez Is Michigan\'s New Coach
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/fo...z.ap/index.html

What is it with Michigan hiring all of the WVA coaches away? First John Beilein and now Rich Rodriguez...

Interesting move for RR... not only did UM not quite hire a Michigan man... they hired a Mountain man... they succeeded in luring away Rich Rodriguez, a man coaching at his alma mater after losing out on one of their own (Les Miles).

I guess they don't have to change much in their wardrobe... WVA and UM colors are pretty darn close...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blog...-rodriguez.html

How immediate was the ripple effect of Rodriguez's hire? The coach barely had time to inform the Mountaineers of his decision early Sunday afternoon before the nation's most coveted recruit, Jeanette (Pa.) native Terrelle Pryor -- a spread-option QB who'd reportedly narrowed his choices to Ohio State (the suspected favorite), West Virginia, Florida and Oregon -- told Scout.com, "Add Michigan to my list."

#664286 - 17/12/07 06:37 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Interesting move:

Rodriguez Is Michigan\'s New Coach
X2 (couldn't have said that better myself)

I remember last year that he said no to Alabama and then told his fans that he wanted to spend his coaching career in WV. I guess what he meant to say was... Bama's not my cup of tea and I'll stay with you till something better comes along.

Can't blame him, but the only thing that doesn't sit right with me is that he's not coaching during the bowl.

#664287 - 07/01/08 01:02 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
mineralblue Offline

SMU hires June Jones...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/01/07/ap.fbc.apnewsalert.ap/inde x.html

and the natural order is restored as Hawaii football will regress into mediocrity...

Wow. $2 million a year? I guess those SMU boosters are tired of being crappy after all these years post-death penalty...

#664288 - 08/01/08 05:53 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Good to see no one talking about the meaningless postseason that college football has to offer. So is it too early to talk about next year? laugh Not for me. We're finally looking to be pre-ranked in the Top 20:

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=759223

and 12th via espn [ThumbsUp]

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3186264

In other news, the PAC-10 threatens to pull out of BCS if the BCS goes to a +1 four team mini-playoff. :rolleyes: The ACC president and SEC president along with the Big East and Big12 president/commisioners are strongly lobbying for this format. The PAC-10 commisioner said if this happens the PAC-10 and BIG-10 will yank the Rose Bowl and pull their leagues out of the BCS. I knew I hated those conferences for a reason. See ya later as far as I'm concerned and take your meaningless bowl game with you. But atleast you'll have your parade. :rolleyes:

#664289 - 10/01/08 04:58 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by mineralblue:
SMU hires June Jones...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/01/07/ap.fbc.apnewsalert.ap/inde x.html

and the natural order is restored as Hawaii football will regress into mediocrity...

Wow. $2 million a year? I guess those SMU boosters are tired of being crappy after all these years post-death penalty...
The hot rumor out here is that Dick Tomey might leave San Jose State to go back to UH. From a strictly PR point of view, that would probably help ease the pain at UH. He revived their program the "first" time.

#664290 - 10/01/08 05:30 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't they need an AD before they scout for a coach?

Page 15 of 16 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal