shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 15 of 18 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#667328 - 05/12/06 06:47 AM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Timmah:
apparently you forgot what cost him his job at Indiana in the first place.
What does that have to do with your original statement?

#667329 - 05/12/06 09:52 AM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

I try and stay out of this subject as much as possible. But to correct whoever was talking about 2001, Nebraska lost it's last regular season game, just like Michigan and got to the title game. NU lost its last two because it lost the national title game, just like Michigan would. A rematch would be stupid. Michigan all ready lost to Ohio State. Let Florida take their shot. I think the right two teams are in the game and the BCS should add that the national title must include two conference champions. That would prevent the Nebraska back door entrance and stop the Michigan fans from bitching.

I hope Leach leaves the big 12. I am sick of hearing him shoot his mouth off. I'm not sure which is easier to recruit to, Lubbuck or Phoenix. Have been to both, you have desert or the Texas equivalent. The only thing ASU has going is that it is in a big city. I don't think Leach is enough of a disciplinarian to go to Miami. If he goes there, I predict a scandal worse than Gary Barnett and CU could have ever tried to produce.

#667330 - 05/12/06 09:59 AM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

On the playoff system, college football does have a playoff, its called the regular season. It is very similar to a double elimination tournament, you lose once you might still have a chance, lose twice you are out.

Don't make football like basketball where the regular season doesn't matter.

If you really want a playoff, you don't really like college football and I suggest you start watching the NFL.

#667331 - 05/12/06 10:04 AM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by roygil15:
I try and stay out of this subject as much as possible. But to correct whoever was talking about 2001, Nebraska lost it's last regular season game, just like Michigan and got to the title game.
mad mad mad mad mad

Please don't bring up 2001. Worst BCS screw job ever. The ONLY team with a shot at taking down Miami was Oregon, but we were denied the chance despite being #2 in both polls (which is where we ended up). Beating the living piss out of yet another overrated Big 12 team was nice, but we deserved a shot at Miami.

Must try to relax now...

Quote:
I'm not sure which is easier to recruit to, Lubbuck or Phoenix. Have been to both, you have desert or the Texas equivalent. The only thing ASU has going is that it is in a big city.
ASU is actually in Tempe, which is a very nice area. The campus is great, the facilities are good, there are lots of parties and hot chicks (seriously - there are waaay more hot chicks there than at any other campus I've ever been around), and it's close to Socal. Lubbock has the advantage of being in Texas, but, well, it's Lubbock.

#667332 - 05/12/06 10:11 AM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
On the playoff system, college football does have a playoff, its called the regular season. It is very similar to a double elimination tournament, you lose once you might still have a chance, lose twice you are out.

If you really want a playoff, you don't really like college football and I suggest you start watching the NFL.
I've come to the conclusion that I'm basically against a playoff as well. I guess I wouldn't mind a +1 type of system, but I don't want to go further than that. I like the tradition of the bowl system, and enjoy watching it play out every year. This from a guy (Oregon fan who's witnessed two BCS screw-jobs) who has every reason to hate the system.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that regular season college basketball games are pointless, but there is less riding on each game (as there should be - there are a lot more of them in a year).

Btw Nismo, did you enjoy your trip to Pac-10 basketball country? :p

#667333 - 05/12/06 10:25 AM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
Quote:

Basketball's tourney includes 65 teams... that's nearly half of all the D-I schools out there... playoff advocates in football are not pushing for a 65 team field (which would be incredibly difficult)... if you simply had a small 4 or 8-team playoff field, you would arguably include only the primary contenders for the national championship, which would include most likely all of the unbeatens and the one-loss teams... thus maintaining the importance of having a near-perfect regular season to merely qualify for the playoffs... the polls would still play a role, just a role in determining the playoff field, and not the actual championship... that is a role I am more willing to live with...

With such a system, you could rotate the semifinals and finals to the different BCS bowls, and still maintain the pageantry of all the other insignificant bowls outside of the playoff picture...

In such a system, OSU, UF, Michigan, Louisville, and perhaps even Boise State, would all get a chance, and the debate would shift away from screwing over a high level team to a less significant debate about a bubble team like a 2-loss team making the playoffs...

#667334 - 05/12/06 10:57 AM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by pnwbeers:
I've come to the conclusion that I'm basically against a playoff as well. I guess I wouldn't mind a +1 type of system, but I don't want to go further than that. I like the tradition of the bowl system, and enjoy watching it play out every year. This from a guy (Oregon fan who's witnessed two BCS screw-jobs) who has every reason to hate the system.
Looks like we actually agree on something!

I personally don't want a playoff system, because frankly, nobody gives a rats arse about any of the playoff games until the final one (aka, Superbowl if you're an NFL fan).

Those that argue against a playoff have a legit arguement, I think. The regular season for college football is the best regular season for ANY sport. With so much on the line every week, every game is important. With basketball, they play 20+ games... Lose one or two, or even 5 or 6, and you'll STILL make it into the tournament at the end of the year and have a chance for the title. So the regular season doesn't mean as much at all; you just have to be one of the top 65 teams during the reg. season...

So if there were a 6 or 8 game playoff, then all you'd have to do is be a top 8 team and you're in. Think of it as if you were the #3 team undefeated going into the last season of the game against the #4 team w/ 1 loss. Wooptiefreakingdoo as to who wins, 'cause both of 'em would still be in the 8 team field for the "tournament".

No thank you. I'll take the regular season as is.

Bowl games are people not affiliated with the NCAA, making $$ off football teams. If they really wanted a "Champion," then the NCAA would create their own system. Problem is, there is NO NCAA sanctioned system for declaring a National Champion, whether by playoff or by bowl games. The "National Champion" is crowned by the media, and the NCAA has absolutely nothing to do with it, unlike every other sport. That's the way it's been for well over 100 years. Why f* around with it, now?

#667335 - 05/12/06 11:17 AM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Quote:
mad mad mad mad mad

Please don't bring up 2001. Worst BCS screw job ever. The ONLY team with a shot at taking down Miami was Oregon, but we were denied the chance despite being #2 in both polls (which is where we ended up). Beating the living piss out of yet another overrated Big 12 team was nice, but we deserved a shot at Miami.

Must try to relax now...
Quote:

I wouldn't go so far as to say that regular season college basketball games are pointless, but there is less riding on each game (as there should be - there are a lot more of them in a year).
You contridict yourself here. If we had a playoff, Oregon would have had it's shot. [Freak] Instead, it's up to the biased system we live with. That's the whole point of a playoff system. It removes the biased voters and lets the teams play it out on the field. You know, like every real sport in the nation and every other division of football. Instead, it's no better than figure skating. College football... the best regular season and the worst post season. [ThumbsDown]

#667336 - 05/12/06 11:21 AM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tempe is part of Phoenix. Nicer part, but same thing. Good party scene with slutty girls, not much else going for it (its still in the middle of a fucking desert). Don't flatter it by comparing it to SoCal, not even close. Not sure why this is even being debated, and why is Mike Leach such a hot commodity?

Oregon would have gotten it handed to them by Miami also. Although I wish Oregon would have played in the game so I could have laughed about it. PAC-10=most overrated conference in the country.

I could handle using two of the BCS games and taking their winners to do a plus 1, if that will shut people up.

I know the regular season matters in basketball, I was just making a point. 65 of 119 teams get into the tournament. You don't have to be that sweet during the regular season to make a run at the title. Which is fine. The tourney is one of the most fun events of the year, but tell me that you really care as much about a regular season basketball game as you do football...you're a liar if you say you do.

That or you are either a Duke, NC or KU graduate.

#667337 - 05/12/06 11:25 AM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Quote:
Great, what happens if 6 teams go undefeated? What happens if 10 teams have 1 loss? Your playoff system really works there. It's a biased system and it doesn't work. A playoff system works in every other division of football. I haven't heard one single good reason not to have a playoff system. 4, 8 16... hell even +1. SOMETHING! This system doesn't work!
Quote:
apples to oranges. They play 30+ games a year.

#667338 - 05/12/06 11:34 AM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
I personally don't want a playoff system, because frankly, nobody gives a rats arse about any of the playoff games until the final one (aka, Superbowl if you're an NFL fan).

Every single playoff game in the NFL is sold out, so I guess nobody cares. [Freak] Besides, college is different. People go to support their team because that's where they went to school. You wouldn't have a problem with that.
Quote:
Those that argue against a playoff have a legit arguement, I think. The regular season for college football is the best regular season for ANY sport.
Agreed, but that doesn't mean they should taint it with the worst post season in all of sports. That balances the equation.
Quote:
With so much on the line every week, every game is important. With basketball, they play 20+ games... Lose one or two, or even 5 or 6, and you'll STILL make it into the tournament at the end of the year and have a chance for the title. So the regular season doesn't mean as much at all; you just have to be one of the top 65 teams during the reg. season...
Again, you're talking about a completely different sport. You'd be better off comparing the NFL, Div. II, III, high school, etc. Oh, that's right... they have a playoff system and it works so that wouldn't help your arguement. Nevermind.
Quote:
So if there were a 6 or 8 game playoff, then all you'd have to do is be a top 8 team and you're in.
LOL! You make it sound so easy! [LOL]
Quote:
Think of it as if you were the #3 team undefeated going into the last season of the game against the #4 team w/ 1 loss. Wooptiefreakingdoo as to who wins, 'cause both of 'em would still be in the 8 team field for the "tournament".
If the #4 team loss, they would have 2 losses and not make the 8 team playoff. Besides, the idea is to take the conference champions. That game would still mean everything.

#667339 - 05/12/06 11:41 AM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

People love college football for what it is. Don't F it up.

It's not apples to oranges to compare to college basketball. If you had no tourney in basketball and had the top two teams in the polls play for a national title, people would care about the regular season. I guarantee you.

#667340 - 05/12/06 11:45 AM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
Quote:
Originally posted by Timmah:
[b]apparently you forgot what cost him his job at Indiana in the first place.
What does that have to do with your original statement?[/b]
Nothing I was addressing a different statement...

"As for Miami, it would obviously be a step up. But like you said, they have their problems and he'd always be in the spot light. He's got a great situation at Tech and he'd be stupid to leave. That's why we'll have Bobby Knight for at least 10 years."

#667341 - 05/12/06 11:48 AM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm for a playoff system as well. Take the top 8 teams. That would still make the regular season worth a hell of a lot and you know the fans will go and watch the playoff games. There were 16,000 OSU fans that traveled down to Austin to watch the Buckeyes stick it to UT in their house. Hell, they rented out UT's basketball stadium to watch the game for those who couldn't get tickets.

#667342 - 05/12/06 12:02 PM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Don't flatter it by comparing it to SoCal, not even close.
By close I meant proximity, and being close to SoCal is an advantage (so is being sunny and warm).

Quote:
Oregon would have gotten it handed to them by Miami also.
Maybe, but we were clearly the #2 team in the country going into bowl season and they should have been in the big game.

Quote:
Although I wish Oregon would have played in the game so I could have laughed about it. PAC-10=most overrated conference in the country.
You misspelled Big 12. The Pac 10 is actually quite a good conference in most years, with a lot of parity. The Pac-10 in 2001 was superb, and that Oregon squad could have played with anybody.

#667343 - 05/12/06 12:09 PM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

I do agree that Oregon should have been in the game. Goes back to my thought that you should have to be conference champ to go to the title game. Was just stirring the pot a little bit with the Pac-10 comment, thought I'd see what kind of reaction I got since you are obviously a Duck fan.

I don't want them to mess with college football, I like it to much the way it is. Where each week is soooo important to your season. If there is a playoff, then what will there be to talk about?

#667344 - 05/12/06 12:41 PM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Quote:
People love college football for what it is. Don't F it up.

It's not apples to oranges to compare to college basketball. If you had no tourney in basketball and had the top two teams in the polls play for a national title, people would care about the regular season. I guarantee you.
WTF are you talking about? Basketball plays 5 guys. It's very easy for any team to be a contender. Therefore, you have to give all the schools a better chance. In football, we're not saying let's have a 64 (65 :rolleyes: ) team playoff. It's completely different. And the college basketball season matters to the basketball schools as much as college football matters to the football games, there's just less games in football.

Again, compare it to the NFL, all the other divisions of college football, high school football and every other football. Quit trying to compare cross sports... it just doesn't work.
Quote:
If there is a playoff, then what will there be to talk about?
If you have to win your conference to make the playoffs, nothing would change and everyone would be talking about the same as usual, if not more. [Freak]

In America, we settle our championships on the field, except college football. :rolleyes:

#667345 - 05/12/06 01:33 PM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

We still settle our championship on the field, every week of the regular season, see my earlier post. A playoff will make all of the good college football rivalries (OSU-MU, UT-OU, UM-FSU, etc.) be as boring as all the stupid NFL rivalries. You could lose those games and still win your conference (ie OU this year). Don't make college into the NFL. Just cheer for your stupid Dallas Cowboys and leave the NCAA alone.

#667346 - 05/12/06 03:03 PM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Quote:
We still settle our championship on the field, every week of the regular season, see my earlier post.
You say that, but you didn't answer my question about what if you have like 6 undefeated teams or 10 one loss teams? They wouldn't get to play it out on the field. What about schools like Boise St.? They went undefeated, but I don't see them in the National Championship game. Doesn't sound like they got to play it out on the field. Ask Oregon fans about '01, USC fans about '03, Auburn fans about '04, etc.. They'll tell you they didn't get to play it out on the field. So don't give me that b.s. because it couldn't be farther from the truth. It's all biased. Keep the bowls, no one's saying get rid of them, but incorporate some sort of playoff so they play it out on the field.
Quote:
A playoff will make all of the good college football rivalries (OSU-MU, UT-OU, UM-FSU, etc.) be as boring as all the stupid NFL rivalries. You could lose those games and still win your conference (ie OU this year).
You might want to read read your post because that supports having a playoff system. If anything, there is more riding on rivalries than ever before. The winner knows they control their own destiny to have an actual shot at getting to the NC game despite screwing up at the beginning of the season in OOC games.

And obviously you didn't go to college (yet?) or didn't got to a college with a good D-1 program, but those rivalries will never die no matter what. Even when those games don't matter and there's nothing riding on it, they still are as popular as the are if they did matter. That's still a moot point because having a playoff wouldn't change anything anyway and you or anyone else have yet to prove otherwise.
Quote:
Don't make college into the NFL. Just cheer for your stupid Dallas Cowboys and leave the NCAA alone.
Don't ever tell anyone to waste their time for cheering for the Cowboys. That's just and insult and I would wish that upon nobody.

#667347 - 05/12/06 03:59 PM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

When have there ever been 6 undefeated teams or 10 one loss teams? I don't agree with you, but you are entitled to your opinion. Luckily, it will never happen because of the money tied in with all the bowls.

I am glad that you are resorting to trying to discredit me by saying I'm in high school. I'm not and I did graduate from a major d-1 program that has won national titles. I'd say most of the other people who've been discussing this today have a good guess at my alma matter.

Have a nice life, good luck with not being able to handle one person on an online forum that has a different opinion than you.

I'm done posting on this subject, although I might check-in to see what the discussion is if the gators beat the buckeyes. That will really have you guys all up in arms!

#667348 - 05/12/06 05:51 PM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

That's code for, "I can't give any good reasons to support my argument, but I'm too stubborn to change my mind so I'm going to insult you back and take off." I called everything you said out and you can't handle it so you bail. Typical... I think I'm clueing in as to where you went to school. [LOL] Good thing pnwbeers and a couple others here are not like you. He and I have gone round in round for years (yes, I noticed in your recent posts you trying to bait me wink ), but I always enjoy some good ol' fashion sports smack talking.

2 more years left on the the BcS contract and counting. [ThumbsUp]

#667349 - 05/12/06 06:26 PM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX

#667350 - 05/12/06 08:12 PM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Couldn't resist, had to check one last time. You never have answered the question when have 6 teams ever gone undefeated or 10 teams with one loss?

#667351 - 05/12/06 09:04 PM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Any time there are over 2 that is too many. I recall a few years where that has been the case. I seem to recall one year where Nebraska and Penn State were Co-Champs. It's been a while and I don't have time to look it up here at work.

#667352 - 05/12/06 09:31 PM Re: Official 2006 College Football Season Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Quote:
Couldn't resist, had to check one last time. You never have answered the question when have 6 teams ever gone undefeated or 10 teams with one loss?
I said "what if", plus I agree with what Timmah said:
what if you have like 6 undefeated teams or 10 one loss teams? They wouldn't get to play it out on the field. What about schools like Boise St.? They went undefeated, but I don't see them in the National Championship game. Doesn't sound like they got to play it out on the field. Ask Oregon fans about '01, USC fans about '03, Auburn fans about '04, etc.. They'll tell you they didn't get to play it out on the field. So don't give me that b.s. because it couldn't be farther from the truth. It's all biased. Keep the bowls, no one's saying get rid of them, but incorporate some sort of playoff so they play it out on the field.
[ThumbsUp]

Page 15 of 18 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal