shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#673486 - 12/10/10 07:29 PM Winter Chains-What are you using?
$0off Offline

Running a 4x4 Off Road 2010, need to get a set of chains or 2 for front & back,
I have just looked on the net a little, and have come up with the diamond design from Thule, any other suggestions or reviews!!, plan on going skiing and off road for hunting and snowmobiling, I like to travel the backroads that I usually use in the summer, in the winter I need a little extra !!!
thanks all

#673490 - 13/10/10 08:51 PM Re: Winter Chains-What are you using? [Re: $0off]
RNTKnives Offline
A

Loc: Prepping for the Zombie Apocol...
I carry a strap... chains are dangerous...lol

Jeff!

Original Registration, NOV '07
Pre-crash post count - 396

"...the Earth will continue turnning, even when justice dies." (Revy Two Hand, Black Lagoon)

#673623 - 25/10/10 10:26 AM Re: Winter Chains-What are you using? [Re: RNTKnives]
Cliff Offline

Loc: Idaho, U.S.A
I haven't encountered any snow deep enough to need chains. I do have a pair of quick install chains in case, but the weather patterns have changed so drastically that we no longer get the 1 foot plus on the ground that we used to have at times. Of course back then I never had a good 4X4. It's a bitch trying to drive in that kind of snow with a sports car.

#677245 - 11/12/11 02:42 AM Re: Winter Chains-What are you using? [Re: Cliff]
starosaguy Offline

Loc: Santa Rosa, CA & Baja Sur
I just follow the Nissan recommendations - use only "S" type chains and only install them on rear wheels. When I bought my xterra they even made me sign a stupid form stating that I would not use chains or risk voiding warranty.

#677255 - 12/12/11 08:19 AM Re: Winter Chains-What are you using? [Re: $0off]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: $0off
Running a 4x4 Off Road 2010, need to get a set of chains or 2 for front & back,
I have just looked on the net a little, and have come up with the diamond design from Thule, any other suggestions or reviews!!, plan on going skiing and off road for hunting and snowmobiling, I like to travel the backroads that I usually use in the summer, in the winter I need a little extra !!!
thanks all

I don't know if you've driven your rig in the snow before, but, its possible you don't NEED chains, you have a 4x4 truck with a rear locker right now....you might be OK as is unless you mounted goofy summer tires on it or something.

laugh

What's your scenario/history on this?

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#677259 - 12/12/11 11:13 AM Re: Winter Chains-What are you using? [Re: TJ]
No Whining Offline

Loc: California
Don't know where you're at, but TJ is right; you may not need chains. I carry a set of Z chains but have never had to use them.

http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction%20Pages/Trac_SZLT.html

California has R1, R2 and R3 chain restrictions.
R1 - Chains required, vehicles with snow tires (M+S on side counts) okay.
R2 - Chains required, 4wd with snow tires okay - carry chains.
R3 - Chains required on everything (you really have no business being out anyway).

As far as carrying chains, I once was pulled over with my old 4x4 and only had to show I had chains. I did have them but they were ones I found discarded in a parking lot and they would not have fit!

I prefer the cable chains as it isn't as likely to tear up your wheel wells.

#677295 - 15/12/11 09:40 AM Re: Winter Chains-What are you using? [Re: No Whining]
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
I bought cable chains a long time ago and even with the crazy snow we get up here in MN I have never had to use them. Maybe if I lived in the mountains it might be a different story.

#677303 - 15/12/11 05:14 PM Re: Winter Chains-What are you using? [Re: No Whining]
TJ Offline

Originally Posted By: No Whining
Don't know where you're at, but TJ is right; you may not need chains. I carry a set of Z chains but have never had to use them.

http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction%20Pages/Trac_SZLT.html

California has R1, R2 and R3 chain restrictions.
R1 - Chains required, vehicles with snow tires (M+S on side counts) okay.
R2 - Chains required, 4wd with snow tires okay - carry chains.
R3 - Chains required on everything (you really have no business being out anyway).

As far as carrying chains, I once was pulled over with my old 4x4 and only had to show I had chains. I did have them but they were ones I found discarded in a parking lot and they would not have fit!

I prefer the cable chains as it isn't as likely to tear up your wheel wells.

IIRC, they upgraded the M&S snow tire rating to now require the "Snowflake" rating, which is a more stringent test than the old M&S designation was. (As in now the tire has to pass a test, but manufacturers before that simply decided themselves as to whether to LABEL a tire "M&S" or not...as there was NO TEST.)

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#677305 - 15/12/11 06:03 PM Re: Winter Chains-What are you using? [Re: TJ]
RNTKnives Offline
A

Loc: Prepping for the Zombie Apocol...
Is everyone forgetting that a "mud & snow" tire is a fallacy? These 2 things require very differant tire properties.

A mud tire needs to empty itself to keep the lugs digging in.

A snow tire needs to pack itself full, because nothing sticks to snow...except... well... snow.

Chains... really only good for snow with a frozen base layer or a thin ice top sheet. A good snow tire, along with your 4WD should be sufficient, unless it's so deep you're pushing it with the bumper. In that case you're a dumbass for being out all together.

BTW... I didn't ALWAYS live in Texas...lol

Jeff!

Original Registration, NOV '07
Pre-crash post count - 396

"...the Earth will continue turnning, even when justice dies." (Revy Two Hand, Black Lagoon)

#677308 - 16/12/11 09:42 AM Re: Winter Chains-What are you using? [Re: RNTKnives]
TJ Offline

Originally Posted By: RNTKnives
Is everyone forgetting that a "mud & snow" tire is a fallacy? These 2 things require very differant tire properties.

A mud tire needs to empty itself to keep the lugs digging in.

A snow tire needs to pack itself full, because nothing sticks to snow...except... well... snow.

Chains... really only good for snow with a frozen base layer or a thin ice top sheet. A good snow tire, along with your 4WD should be sufficient, unless it's so deep you're pushing it with the bumper. In that case you're a dumbass for being out all together.

BTW... I didn't ALWAYS live in Texas...lol

Jeff!

LOL

I think I mentioned there's actually no test of a tire to certify that its worthy of being labeled M&S anyway.

Also, the depth and softness of the snow can make an enormous difference in what "works" in it.

Essentially, the harder the snow, the less effective chunky tread blocks are...as they can't penetrate the surface to get a bite if the snow is too hard.

If the snow is soft enough to penetrate, but firm enough to form a ridge when compressed, a paddle wheeled type mud tire can actually work great.

After that, it all a question of degree.

Its one reason two people can argue endlessly over whether this tire or that tire is better in the snow.....one person's snow is a particular range of hardness and packability, and the other's is a different range.

Even the actual temperature makes a difference, as some rubber compounds stay compliant when its sub-zero, and some are as hard as rocks.

They are both potentially right, for THEIR snow.

#677309 - 16/12/11 12:42 PM Re: Winter Chains-What are you using? [Re: TJ]
No Whining Offline

Loc: California
Interesting that manufacturers would label that way. Interesting but not surprising. All I care about is finding a good all weather tire that can handle on and off road. May not be the best at either, but beats having to put chains on or change out/store tires throughout the year. I just need to be able to get past the chain up check point. If the M+S is good enough for that, I'm good.

#677310 - 16/12/11 02:26 PM Re: Winter Chains-What are you using? [Re: No Whining]
TJ Offline

Originally Posted By: No Whining
Interesting that manufacturers would label that way. Interesting but not surprising. All I care about is finding a good all weather tire that can handle on and off road. May not be the best at either, but beats having to put chains on or change out/store tires throughout the year. I just need to be able to get past the chain up check point. If the M+S is good enough for that, I'm good.

Well, who knows, as there's no WAY to know if M&S is good enough for that...its essentially meaningless.

The Snowflake designation at least means it has to work in snow/winter conditions...and had to pass a test to prove it.

For me, I like the BFG AT ko...its been a great all 'round all weather tire, and I get ~ 90k miles out of a set, which is nice.

They rock in the snow, and have low enough rolling resistance to not kill me on mpg......yet handle off road really well for an AT tire, have triple layer sidewalls, deep lugs, side biting lugs, etc.

I just bought another set for my wrangler actually too.

For a DD that goes offroad too, they are a great tire.

#677311 - 16/12/11 02:37 PM Re: Winter Chains-What are you using? [Re: TJ]
Gonzo-2 Offline

Loc: Lansing, Michigan
I'll 2nd what TJ just said about the BFG's. I got a set almost 2 years ago. This is the second winter with them. They are a great "all 'round all weather tire". Very pleased with them. In "our" snow, they work great. (Great Lakes area snow, if that means anything!)

-G

BFG AT/KO
Custom fuse panels for electrical mods
Custom backup solution mod (lights/camera/monitor)
Custom switched power outlets (8+ total)
Lots-o-Lights (6 driving lights, 10 total)

Original registration - Sep, '03
Pre-crash post count - ~1100

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal