shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#674456 - 23/01/11 08:50 AM Stock tire rubs mudflap when fully turned to right
eb4tx Offline

I have stock size tires on my 2000 X. What's weird is that when I turn to the right the tire rubs on the mudflap. What could cause this? Alignment is fine.

#674465 - 23/01/11 12:26 PM Re: Stock tire rubs mudflap when fully turned to right [Re: eb4tx]
slantyshanty Offline

Loc: Northern Michigan
Looks like it's time for a PML (poor mans lift)... or face lift anyway.
2004 World Champ - 4x4 Man Trans - Silver - 3"SL+2"BL - Revolvers - Rancho RS9000XL's - Rancho RS5000 stab w/IAB - ARB rear locker - 34" BFG MT's Soft 8's - Blood red Shrock Sliders - Mean Green 180A - Optima 31 Bluetop - U-bolt skids - Hz+dB's

#674468 - 24/01/11 04:31 AM Re: Stock tire rubs mudflap when fully turned to right [Re: slantyshanty]
Gonzo-2 Offline

Loc: Lansing, Michigan
Stock tires on a 2000? Really? Are you sure? Have they always rubbed or did this just start?

There's two ways to fix this, well 4 actually. Slanty's suggestion is one, but if you haven't done a PML yet, you probably won't if you've had the truck all these years.

Second, remove 'em. If you do ANYTHING with your truck, they're likely to get broken/ripped off/trashed anyway. Hell, I broke two of mine right after I got my truck by flipping up ice from the road right after I got my truck. So I took them off and haven't missed 'em. Problem solved.

Third, you could always just trim them where they rub. It's just plastic. (Most would remove them instead of trimming though.)

And fourth, if the rubbing just started (you don't say - that's why I asked), you probably need to figure out WHY they started rubbing and fix that. Could be a couple of things but we need more info before we can diagnose across the 'net.

Then again, the first two are good suggestions in any case... But first fix it if it's broke!

-G

BFG AT/KO
Custom fuse panels for electrical mods
Custom backup solution mod (lights/camera/monitor)
Custom switched power outlets (8+ total)
Lots-o-Lights (6 driving lights, 10 total)

Original registration - Sep, '03
Pre-crash post count - ~1100

#674471 - 24/01/11 11:14 AM Re: Stock tire rubs mudflap when fully turned to right [Re: eb4tx]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: eb4tx
I have stock size tires on my 2000 X. What's weird is that when I turn to the right the tire rubs on the mudflap. What could cause this? Alignment is fine.

In addition to the input already received...you have turn stop bolts that control the degree of turn...and one or 2 of them (There's 4) might be bent/damaged...

..which would allow the tire to turn more than normal.

laugh

That said, my theory on MOST likely scenario is a simple front end sag from fatigued torsion bars.

You have built-in torsion bar adjusters, and can just crank it back up to stock height again (That's WHY you have those adjusters...)

The procedure is not too hard to do, rust is pretty much the only PITA on them, especially if you've never touched them before.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#674481 - 24/01/11 08:08 PM Re: Stock tire rubs mudflap when fully turned to right [Re: TJ]
52 Offline

Take them off anyway. Make the X look taller and get her nice and dirty every time it is not sunny.

Mods: 2003 Granite NA 4X4, KN FIPK, PML, Poly Sway bushings, 32" BFG AT Ko

#682691 - 20/11/14 05:53 AM Re: Stock tire rubs mudflap when fully turned to right [Re: 52]
Biostrom Offline

I had a 2000 Xterra for 14 years and only used the stock tire size the entire time. There were two brands of tires that, when new, would rub the splash guard at full lock. One was Cooper, the other was Sport King. Obviously some tire manufacturers are not too concerned about constructing a tire to rigid dimensional specifications. No worries as it never caused any damage, just a little noise.

Edited by Biostrom (20/11/14 05:55 AM)

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal