2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#675476 - 29/04/11 09:14 PM New 2011 Xterra Pro4x Needs a Bull / Brush Guard
Aengus Offline

I know I am a noob, but I need help.

I need to find a bull/brush guard for a 2011 Pro4x.

The problem is that none of the ones I see, including SteelCraft etc. can attach because of the skidplates.

Anyone have any suggestions for a straightforward bolt on guard that will cover the grille and the headlights??

I am somewhat handicapped so I am limited to some wrenching, that is it. I want it to bolt to the four front bolts where the recovery hooks are...

Thanks,

Aengus

#675477 - 30/04/11 09:02 AM Re: New 2011 Xterra Pro4x Needs a Bull / Brush Guard [Re: Aengus]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: Aengus
I know I am a noob, but I need help.

I need to find a bull/brush guard for a 2011 Pro4x.

The problem is that none of the ones I see, including SteelCraft etc. can attach because of the skidplates.

Anyone have any suggestions for a straightforward bolt on guard that will cover the grille and the headlights??

I am somewhat handicapped so I am limited to some wrenching, that is it. I want it to bolt to the four front bolts where the recovery hooks are...

Thanks,

Aengus

Don't get one.

The problem is that none of the guards do what you want them to/what they LOOK like they should do.

The reason is that on the front end of the X, the mounting arms have to loop way down below the front fascia to get below it, and then loop up again to reach the frame horns.

This makes it so they are blocked by your skid plates (What you already noticed), PLUS, they end up with such a long effective lever arm, that even minor front impacts tip the guard back INTO the parts of the truck they were supposed to be "guarding".

This has resulted in a very LARGE number of examples where a small impact to one side of the truck results in damage across the entire frontal area, as the small impact pivoted the guard back into the REST of the truck, causing MORE damage than if you had NOTHING.

Additionally, the low sweep of the mounting arms KILLS your approach angle, making the truck WORSE off road than a STOCK X.

IE: They are worse than nothing.

As an alternative, and, especially considering you probably actually go off road (You have skid plates) - consider a real bumper instead of a foo foo cosmetic accessory.

You can see what one looks like by going to:

www.shrockworks.com

Good Luck!

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#675478 - 01/05/11 09:08 AM Re: New 2011 Xterra Pro4x Needs a Bull / Brush Guard [Re: TJ]
RNTKnives Offline
A

Loc: Prepping for the Zombie Apocol...
+1 on this one. We've seen it on several occassions at the shop with the Aries grill guards. In addition to what TJ said, the "wings" or side guards flex to the point that, when impacted, they'll hit the fender and cause damage, then spring back into position.
Make the investment. Go with a real bumper.

Jeff!

Original Registration, NOV '07
Pre-crash post count - 396

"...the Earth will continue turnning, even when justice dies." (Revy Two Hand, Black Lagoon)

#678498 - 08/05/12 03:03 AM Re: New 2011 Xterra Pro4x Needs a Bull / Brush Guard [Re: RNTKnives]
Matt E Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Shrockworks=Great. The Calmini bumpers look pretty good, too.

#678502 - 08/05/12 09:54 AM Re: New 2011 Xterra Pro4x Needs a Bull / Brush Guard [Re: Matt E]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Hefty Fabworks makes a nice bumper for the 2nd gen X's too.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal