2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#677397 - 22/12/11 06:49 PM Plastic Repair
littleferris68 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
So the other day i was driving to north jersey with my 6 month old husky in the passenger seat. she laid her head down next to the console and i thought she was sleeping....after 10 minutes i heard a loud "POP" and i looked over....she had been chewing my seatbelt the ENTIRE TIME!!!! i got to my girls house and grabbed some of her dads sand paper and went rough to fine (he is a body man) and there are no jagged edges now. i put armor all on it but i noticed today that it was fading again. anyone know how to restore the color of the plastic (pref w/o heat or paint :P )? i would like to not have to armor all it every week.

#677407 - 23/12/11 08:28 AM Re: Plastic Repair [Re: littleferris68]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: littleferris68
So the other day i was driving to north jersey with my 6 month old husky in the passenger seat. she laid her head down next to the console and i thought she was sleeping....after 10 minutes i heard a loud "POP" and i looked over....she had been chewing my seatbelt the ENTIRE TIME!!!! i got to my girls house and grabbed some of her dads sand paper and went rough to fine (he is a body man) and there are no jagged edges now. i put armor all on it but i noticed today that it was fading again. anyone know how to restore the color of the plastic (pref w/o heat or paint :P )? i would like to not have to armor all it every week.

DON'T armor all seat belts...it weakens the webbing.

Learn to enjoy the dog-chewed color/texture.

laugh

If the chewing also damaged the belt...just go to a JY, dealer, etc, and get a new one.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#677410 - 23/12/11 09:30 AM Re: Plastic Repair [Re: TJ]
Gonzo-2 Offline

Loc: Lansing, Michigan
Don't know that you'll find a seatbelt in a junkyard that you can scabbage. They have an explosive pre-tensioner in them and IIRC, you can't install them yourself. Hopefully, I'm wrong for the OP's sake, but if memory serves, this has come up before with the same answer.

So where does that leave you? Stealership for a new one IF you decide to replace it.

The bigger question is, how bad is the "chewing"?

-G

BFG AT/KO
Custom fuse panels for electrical mods
Custom backup solution mod (lights/camera/monitor)
Custom switched power outlets (8+ total)
Lots-o-Lights (6 driving lights, 10 total)

Original registration - Sep, '03
Pre-crash post count - ~1100

#677414 - 23/12/11 11:52 AM Re: Plastic Repair [Re: Gonzo-2]
e207 Offline

Loc: Ashland, PA U.S.A.
Just throwing this out there, I cant picture for the life of me right now, but if the plastic for the seatbelt assembly is anything like the plastic bumpers on the X, you could try a heatgun on it. I used a 1500 degree heatgun (paint stripper) on the outside plastics on mine to restore the color, I even had a spot where the rear corner bumped a tele pole and creased it, the heatgun made the creases nearly impossible to see, blended them right in. That was probably the beginning of LAST summer (2010) when I did it, and they still look pretty good.
Reman'd engine installed 5/16/09 at 87,894 miles

Captain 38-90
Member of Fire District-38 Station-1 since 1991.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/172465012765747/
http://www.pioneertunnel.com/home.shtml

#677425 - 23/12/11 11:16 PM Re: Plastic Repair [Re: e207]
littleferris68 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
well the chewing is no longer a problem...i sanded all of that out (not ROUGH sanding...just to smooth things out). so the roughness isnt a problem...the problem is all the fading/scratches from the papers i used.

i prefer not using a heat gun near the seats/console because i don't want anything to get damaged that is in the area. just didnt know if there was any spray or wipes that would make the color come back. guess not.

i guess i shall just learn to live with the seat belt. so i guess my next question shall be...

anyone know of a good story i can tell to explain the seatbelt besides the whole "my dog ate my homework" idea? i would love to see yall's imagination. :P (dear god help me now with these ideas)

#677427 - 24/12/11 06:48 AM Re: Plastic Repair [Re: littleferris68]
e207 Offline

Loc: Ashland, PA U.S.A.
couldnt you remove the plastic part to use a heat gun so as not to damage anything near it inside? I wouldnt think it should stand out too much, but I know it would bug me at times too.
Reman'd engine installed 5/16/09 at 87,894 miles

Captain 38-90
Member of Fire District-38 Station-1 since 1991.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/172465012765747/
http://www.pioneertunnel.com/home.shtml

#677446 - 26/12/11 08:09 AM Re: Plastic Repair [Re: e207]
k_enn Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
If it is plastic, as opposed to the seatbelt webbing material, you might try Mother's Back to Black if the plastic is a dark enough color.

As noted above, the seat belts do have an explosive pre-tensioner charge. They can be replaced if you know how to do it, but you really should get a detailed step-by-step instruction from the factory service manual. I believe the first step is disconnect the battery so that you don't blow the charge. Also, it will have to be a used seat belt as the dealers will *not* sell the seat belt directly to an owner.

k_enn

#677447 - 26/12/11 10:43 AM Re: Plastic Repair [Re: k_enn]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
UM, we replaced one right in the hotel parking lot at ECXC.....its not that big a deal.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal