shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#677644 - 15/01/12 11:59 AM Newbie Needs Help Regarding Rock Sliders
Karim Offline

Loc: Trenton, NJ, USA
Hello all. I am very new to the off-roading world and Xterras, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Just bought a 2012 Pro-4X and would like to add rock sliders to it. Looking at ShrockWorks' product it has options for 1 or 2 tube supports, and options for body-lifted vehicles and not lifted.

My first question is how would I know if my Xterra is "lifted" or not ( it has Bilstein® off-road performance shock absorbers)? Second, would ShrockWorks Rock Slider be compatible with the 2012 model?

Thanks,

Karim

#677645 - 15/01/12 12:29 PM Re: Newbie Needs Help Regarding Rock Sliders [Re: Karim]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: Karim
Hello all. I am very new to the off-roading world and Xterras, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Just bought a 2012 Pro-4X and would like to add rock sliders to it. Looking at ShrockWorks' product it has options for 1 or 2 tube supports, and options for body-lifted vehicles and not lifted.

My first question is how would I know if my Xterra is "lifted" or not ( it has Bilstein® off-road performance shock absorbers)? Second, would ShrockWorks Rock Slider be compatible with the 2012 model?

Thanks,

Karim

The Body Lift is a lift done by using larger body mounts between the frame and body. This is primarily to raise the fenders up higher out of the way of larger tires.

As a body lift (BL) makes the body sit a bit higher above the frame than stock, that means that the sliders need to come up higher to protect the rocker panels.

If you don't have a BL, the sliders meant for the BL would be too high, and might be in the way of the door bottoms, etc. (They mount to the frame, and then curve out, and up to protect the rocker areas, etc.)

A Suspension Lift (SL) makes no difference as to sliders at all, there is no interference possible. A suspension lift uses stiffer/longer springs to hold the truck's weight up at a higher ride height. The shocks don't hold the truck up, they only damp motion. (The possible exception are after market shocks that have a "shelf" built into them, so the shock can't get shorter than a certain point, and that point keeps the truck from compressing its suspension further/getting lower...but its more of a "stop" than a lift per se.)

So, the only thing left to check is the 2012 vs the 2011 and earlier model compatibility. You could call Jim, etc, at Shrockworks directly (Calls tend to be faster than emails there...) and ask if he has sliders for the 2012's.

My guess is that he does, but, its safer to ask directly.

So - Unless YOU added a Body Lift (Not a dealer item), you don't have one, and your shocks, etc, change nothing in this regard.

Food for thought - IF you think you might want much larger TIRES in the future, say larger than 33" in diameter, THEN you might WANT a Body Lift, to make room for them.

You can use a non-BL slider on a BL equipped rig, but, the sliders will sit a few inches low relative the rockers....it fits, it makes a good step, but its not as protective, and sacrifices a bit of ground clearance you could have had, etc.

You CAN'T use a BL made slider on a rig without a BL though...so, you'd want to choose the slider now, that you might want later, and, then get the BL too, install it before you get the sliders, then install the BL version sliders.

If 285/75/16's are as large a tire as you'd want, you won't need a BL, and can get the non-BL sliders.

laugh

The version with two supports is stronger than the one support version, albeit both are pretty strong.

Me, I go for the Beef.

laugh

Edited by TJ (15/01/12 12:35 PM)

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#677647 - 15/01/12 12:38 PM Re: Newbie Needs Help Regarding Rock Sliders [Re: TJ]
Karim Offline

Fantastic information; and so fast. Thanks.

I'll give Shrockworks a call.

Do you know of a mechanic in the Central/South NJ area that would install the rock sliders?

Thanks again TJ.

#677649 - 15/01/12 02:21 PM Re: Newbie Needs Help Regarding Rock Sliders [Re: Karim]
k_enn Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
The sliders basically just bolt on (but you may have to drill a hole or two).

Shrockworks is great -- I had them on my first gen. However, with a second gen (your 2012 is a second gen), there are a lot more choices for sliders. Check out these threads:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42698

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49717

I will be ordering sliders in the near future for my second gen, but am not sure that it will be Shrockworks. I have heard some good things about Hefty FabWorks and am considering getting a set of their sliders. http://tinyurl.com/7btjdxl The Hefty slider is a little longer than the Shrockworks, and offers a little more protection for the area right behind the front wheel well.

k_enn

Edited by k_enn (15/01/12 02:27 PM)

#677650 - 15/01/12 03:13 PM Re: Newbie Needs Help Regarding Rock Sliders [Re: k_enn]
Karim Offline

Thanks for the information k_enn. Perhaps you could submit a video to Youtube showing your slider installation.

#677657 - 16/01/12 07:29 AM Re: Newbie Needs Help Regarding Rock Sliders [Re: Karim]
TJ Offline

Thanks for the information k_enn. Perhaps you could submit a video to Youtube showing your slider installation.

LOL

Its very obvious when you see them. There are holes on the mounts, they mount to the frame rails, hold the slider up to the frame rail, and the holes match up, slide bolts into the holes, tighten it up.

laugh

I'm in Lawrenceville, probably close to you. You could probably do it in my driveway in 1/2 hr including BS-ing.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#677668 - 17/01/12 09:23 AM Re: Newbie Needs Help Regarding Rock Sliders [Re: TJ]
Karim Offline

Thanks for the offer. As soon as I get the sliders I may call on you if I run into any installation problems.

#677669 - 17/01/12 09:27 AM Re: Newbie Needs Help Regarding Rock Sliders [Re: Karim]
TJ Offline

Thanks for the offer. As soon as I get the sliders I may call on you if I run into any installation problems.

No problemo.

#677737 - 21/01/12 05:29 PM Re: Newbie Needs Help Regarding Rock Sliders [Re: TJ]
Karim Offline

Found this website. Might be useful to next newbie with the same question about rock sliders:

http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/tech/0704_4wd_nissan_xterra_rock_sliders/index.html

#677751 - 23/01/12 11:46 AM Re: Newbie Needs Help Regarding Rock Sliders [Re: Karim]
Karim Offline

Has anyone here heard of or used/using "Rocky Road Xterra Rockrails"?

Their claims are pretty bold, "Rocky Road Xterra Rockrails are the top kits on the market for Nissan Xterra, there is no debate on this...," I want to make sure this is legitimate and not puffery.

Go go http://www.rocky-road.com/xterra-rock-sliders.html to checkout their website.

#677757 - 24/01/12 07:17 AM Re: Newbie Needs Help Regarding Rock Sliders [Re: k_enn]
Karim Offline

You may want to consider these sliders too from Xterra Rock Sliders: http://www.rocky-road.com/xterra-rock-sliders.html.

#677759 - 24/01/12 08:35 AM Re: Newbie Needs Help Regarding Rock Sliders [Re: Karim]
k_enn Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
See the first link in my first post in this thread. There is some discussion of Rocky Road in that thread.

k_enn

#677766 - 25/01/12 06:20 AM Re: Newbie Needs Help Regarding Rock Sliders [Re: Karim]
TJ Offline

Has anyone here heard of or used/using "Rocky Road Xterra Rockrails"?

Their claims are pretty bold, "Rocky Road Xterra Rockrails are the top kits on the market for Nissan Xterra, there is no debate on this...," I want to make sure this is legitimate and not puffery.

Go go http://www.rocky-road.com/xterra-rock-sliders.html to checkout their website.

Its hard to see if they are puffery or not, as they give little in the way of construction specifics, other than to point out competitors using 1/8" wall thickness (0.125") as too weak, which is true, and actually, MANY sliders are made with 0.120" thick walls, a hold over from lightweight rigs' roll bar specs, etc.

The Shrockworks sliders are 0.134" walled for example, but the Rocky Road slider wall thickness is not specified, just alluded to as being thicker than 0.125".

So, its POSSIBLE that its not puffery, or that it is. They give a lifetime warranty though, so, I'm not sure if that would include the damage to the RIG if they failed to protect it, or, just to fix the slider that broke/bent, etc....probably just the slider.

Either way though, that does indicate THEIR faith in the product at least.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal