shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#677853 - 04/02/12 11:49 AM Rough idle/misfire 2002 V6
Hammer Offline

Hello All

This problem is driving me crazy and causing a lot of stress with my family. I need some help!

I have a 2002 Xterra 3.3 V6 non SC

It idles rough. The RPMS bounce around a lot when in Drive (in N or P it idles smoother with the higher RPMS). As you sit at a red light, it will shake badly and then smooth out perfectly.. then start shaking again.

Also, while driving it will misfire and the service engine soon light will blink. It looses lots of power and slows down. It has yet to completely stall.

I have a Knock sensor code, Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire, and it changes between a "too rich" and "too lean" code.

I have replaced all spark plugs and wires. I changed the timing belt. I changed the entire distributor. The problem still exists as it did in the start.

I have read many other posts about similar problems, and just about all of them ended with spark plugs or distributor. I need help yall! Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

#677857 - 04/02/12 05:11 PM Re: Rough idle/misfire 2002 V6 [Re: Hammer]
Nissan_MasterTech Offline

Loc: Florida
Did you replace the distributor with a factory OEM part or did you go to your local parts house?

If you did the latter that's not good, aftermarket rebuilt distributors are junk.

A blinking check engine light means that there is a missfire condition happening that can and will damage the catylitic converters , those are almost 800$ bucks each from the dealer.

So until your get this figured out I'd be parking it unless you got 1600 bucks for new cat's.

#677859 - 04/02/12 05:24 PM Re: Rough idle/misfire 2002 V6 [Re: Nissan_MasterTech]
Hammer Offline

I used a third party distributor. It was brand new, not rebuilt. However, the exact same condition exists now as it did before. Nothing worse, nothing better. It must be another cause.

I understand the flashing is bad, but I dont have a choice. I need the vehicle to commute. Im at the point where Im going to drive it until I can figure out a way to fix it or it blows up, whichever comes first.

So are you saying you are confident it's an ignition issue? A mechanic checked the fuel pressure on the rail and said it's fine and said that faulty injectors wouldn't cause the random loss of power but rather a constant loss.

Edited by Hammer (04/02/12 05:29 PM)

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal