shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#678056 - 02/03/12 09:51 AM tires with 3inch suspension lift
whitewater1 Offline

Can I fit 33's with a 3 inch suspension lift

#678058 - 02/03/12 06:25 PM Re: tires with 3inch suspension lift [Re: whitewater1]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: whitewater1
Can I fit 33's with a 3 inch suspension lift

The suspension lift (SL) is not really meant to clear tires....that's what a body lift is for...or just trimming/modifying the fenders to not be hit when the tire comes up.

Essentially, a SL just raises your ride height...the tires/suspension still go up/down between the upper/lower bump stops...which you did not move....

...so whatever the tires would have hit WITHOUT a SL, they still hit WITH the SL.

If you had a 2005+, 33's fit stock with not BL or SL, etc.

For your 2000, you would want to either do a 2" BL, or modify your fenders, etc.

If you don't really drive on uneven terrain, and you don't mind tire rub when the suspension compresses, etc...a 3" SL can work if you don't care about tire hits from time to time.

If you off road it, etc...the tire can jam and not be able to turn, etc...and/or just hit a lot, depending on if you are on mild terrain, or an actual off road trail, etc.

Your rims make an huge difference as to backspacing...you want 5.5" BS to fit 33x12.5's or 33x13.5's, etc.

If you have LESS than 5.5" of BS on your rims, you get MORE rub, and you need to pound metal out of the way instead of just some plastic.

In all these cases, the ONLY area that needs help is the front...the REAR wells fit the 33's with NO work...with even no lift/trimming.

Edited by TJ (02/03/12 06:31 PM)

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#678061 - 03/03/12 09:04 AM Re: tires with 3inch suspension lift [Re: whitewater1]
RNTKnives Offline
A

Loc: Prepping for the Zombie Apocol...
This is an '04 w/ 3.5" SL. Rides on Firestone Destination MT 33X12.50's & 15X10 Pro Comp wheels w/ 5 3/4" backspacing. Stay as close to neutral as possible on the wheels. Removed the mud guards and swaped the front bumper. Still had to trim the front plastic surround (see the 3rd pic) near the bottom and on the inside just a little. Only MINOR rub on compression while turning. Really have to stuff the HARD to rub them going straight.

Original Registration, NOV '07
Pre-crash post count - 396

"...the Earth will continue turnning, even when justice dies." (Revy Two Hand, Black Lagoon)

#678062 - 03/03/12 01:16 PM Re: tires with 3inch suspension lift [Re: RNTKnives]
k_enn Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
^^
What's with the factory step-rails?

#678063 - 03/03/12 04:27 PM Re: tires with 3inch suspension lift [Re: k_enn]
TJ Offline

Originally Posted By: k_enn
^^
What's with the factory step-rails?

I guess if you don't wheel it hard enough to not need a BL for tire clearance, you also don't wheel it hard enough to take off the steps?

laugh

:P

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#678067 - 04/03/12 08:40 AM Re: tires with 3inch suspension lift [Re: TJ]
RNTKnives Offline
A

Loc: Prepping for the Zombie Apocol...
My ears wouldn't be able to take the strain (if you're single you won't understand) of removing the steps.
I try to wheel kinda' cautiously anyway, since this is my daily driver. I tend to bang the skid plate more than anything. Come to think of it, I've never bounced the steps, even when it was stock.

BTW... Those first 3 shots are the cleanest my truck has been in the past year and a half. It was all muddy as hell 3 days later...lol

Original Registration, NOV '07
Pre-crash post count - 396

"...the Earth will continue turnning, even when justice dies." (Revy Two Hand, Black Lagoon)

#678070 - 04/03/12 10:14 AM Re: tires with 3inch suspension lift [Re: RNTKnives]
TJ Offline

Originally Posted By: RNTKnives
My ears wouldn't be able to take the strain (if you're single you won't understand) of removing the steps.
I try to wheel kinda' cautiously anyway, since this is my daily driver. I tend to bang the skid plate more than anything. Come to think of it, I've never bounced the steps, even when it was stock.

BTW... Those first 3 shots are the cleanest my truck has been in the past year and a half. It was all muddy as hell 3 days later...lol

Yeah, if you're just on dirt roads like that, you can get away with it.

laugh

I have been married since the late 1970's...so, I know of what you speak...but I just tell her to JUMP!

laugh

Edited by TJ (04/03/12 10:16 AM)

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal