shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#678420 - 28/04/12 09:33 AM Soon to be, Xterra Owner
Grimm0ne Offline

Loc: Central PA
Hi, Having a heck of time finding the "right" place to settle down, so many forums out there, so I hope i get a better reply here..

anyways, I'm looking to pick up a 2001 Xterra has 119k on the clock, as my family (mostly my son) is out growing the back seat of my RX8.. So i'm trading that in come tuesday and just like some feedback as to what to look for, to make sure the "X" is in good mech shape etc.

thanks for any input.
Chuck

#678421 - 28/04/12 11:59 AM Re: Soon to be, Xterra Owner [Re: Grimm0ne]
PartsPeddler Offline

Loc: Richardson (Dallas), Texas, US...
Hello Chuck.

Welcome to XOC!

I once worked at a Nissan dealership in the parts department and can say that the Xterra is a pretty tough truck. The main thing to look for (from my perspective) is the maintenance records, especially if the timing belt has been replaced and to what extent. The factory recommends the belt be replaced at 105K miles. Many enthusiasts also replace water pump, thermostat, hoses, etc. at this time, so if these things have never been done you can expect to do them.

If this hasn't been done you can expect to pay about $1000 (plus or minus) to get it done. Maybe you can negotiate a better price if it hasn't been done.

I am sure others will chime in will their experiences, but overall, at this age and mileage you can expect maintenance and parts failure to occur, but there is not a pattern, and it depends a lot on what the previous owner did.

Good luck!

Steve

#678422 - 28/04/12 12:27 PM Re: Soon to be, Xterra Owner [Re: PartsPeddler]
Grimm0ne Offline

thanks, im getting it from a used dealer (not related to nissan or the big brands) but getting a nice trade in on the RX8. Im going to call the local Nissan dealer to see if they can pull anything from the Vin as to service.

i can atest to faliures after getting a used car, the rx8 brakes where solid the dealer said, after 1000miles the one was digging into the rotor.... SO just wanted to know the basics and nowing what to look for can help sweeting the deal.

thanks.

#678423 - 28/04/12 01:14 PM Re: Soon to be, Xterra Owner [Re: Grimm0ne]
e207 Offline

Loc: Ashland, PA U.S.A.
x2 on the timing belt, and the related items mentioned in the prior post. might also want to think about the plugs if they hadnt been changed out already. If your able yourself, you could do the timing belt job and all the other parts for around 400 bucks yourself. My 02 has about 120k on it now and other than the failure causing me to rebuild the engine, the only things I've had to do to it are the usual items, brakes, shocks, exhaust etc. which just simply wear out in their due times.

You should be able to check online, I think www.kbb.com might have a link for checking for recalls that were out on that X. but the dealer should be able to find if any recalls were fixed or not.

also, you could take it for a test ride, stop by a local parts store, ie: Advance Auto, Auto Zone etc... ask them to hook the code reader up (most will do it for free) and see if there are any codes in there that might indicate a problem. not sure if that year had the problem, but a lot of ppl have gotten codes showing a KS or Knock Sensor problem , if you do run into that, you wont have to worry about it, as the X your getting is not the SC or Super Charged version and that code wont affect it.

good luck ,post up if you get it.

Edited by e207 (28/04/12 01:15 PM)
Reman'd engine installed 5/16/09 at 87,894 miles

Captain 38-90
Member of Fire District-38 Station-1 since 1991.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/172465012765747/
http://www.pioneertunnel.com/home.shtml

#678424 - 28/04/12 07:40 PM Re: Soon to be, Xterra Owner [Re: e207]
Grimm0ne Offline

Cool point E, i'll google the area and when i do take it, i'll do just that. I know my local Advance has pulled codes for me before so thats a plus to know. I should buy one, i've had some "freeones" but sometimes the cars i try to help with pulling codes dont like the cables.

thanks, and i'll post pic's once and "if" the deal goes down.

#678481 - 05/05/12 07:38 PM Re: Soon to be, Xterra Owner [Re: Grimm0ne]
Grimm0ne Offline

well i've been here for a couple of days taking some things, and finaly desided to take a quick pic. I just did the front bumper today and plan on freshing up the other trim parts. Goes to Nissan for a checkup on Weds.

all in all very happy with it, kind of bummed about the lact of nissan love for the 01's, all the goodies have been benched for the 05'+, cant find some parts that id like to "test" some things on, biggest kicker the cargo cover... id like one but not spending what i found on ebay..

#678483 - 05/05/12 09:26 PM Re: Soon to be, Xterra Owner [Re: Grimm0ne]
e207 Offline

Loc: Ashland, PA U.S.A.
looks pretty good I kinda wish I could have found a blue one when I got mine, but oh well. did you paint, or heat the bumper?
Reman'd engine installed 5/16/09 at 87,894 miles

Captain 38-90
Member of Fire District-38 Station-1 since 1991.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/172465012765747/
http://www.pioneertunnel.com/home.shtml

#678484 - 05/05/12 10:21 PM Re: Soon to be, Xterra Owner [Re: e207]
Grimm0ne Offline

thanks, and yeah i painted the bumper, took the front trims off as there was some "bubbling" going on, this is temp as i think im going to get a replacement bumper and have my painter put some "real" paint on it lol.. depending on what he wants to paint it.

#678485 - 06/05/12 05:35 AM Re: Soon to be, Xterra Owner [Re: Grimm0ne]
Gonzo-2 Offline

Loc: Lansing, Michigan
Hey Grimm! Welcome!

Looks good though. Depending on the paint you used, there's no rush to get a new one. On my '03, I took the grill and body moldings off and repainted them all. It's been two years now and they all still look great. Point being, being a new X owner, save yourself some $$ (unless you're planning on some armor) and just repaint them. It's easy, just a couple of screws as you already know, and it does last, if done right.

Best of luck! You'll find that the bunch here is VERY helpful and knowledgeable. They're also more than happy to share what they know.

-G

BFG AT/KO
Custom fuse panels for electrical mods
Custom backup solution mod (lights/camera/monitor)
Custom switched power outlets (8+ total)
Lots-o-Lights (6 driving lights, 10 total)

Original registration - Sep, '03
Pre-crash post count - ~1100

#678489 - 06/05/12 07:02 PM Re: Soon to be, Xterra Owner [Re: Gonzo-2]
Grimm0ne Offline

Cool thanks for the welcome Gonzo-2.. I may just do that, i did the front wheelwell trim today, going to do the mud flaps later this week and then the rear bumper. Ran out of sun light lol.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal