shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#678840 - 02/07/12 09:39 AM Bilstein Front & Rear Shocks Install
bvimiguel Offline

Loc: la pastora, bcs, mexico
I'm installing 2 Bilstein F4-B46-1099-H2 (24-187824) on the front of my 2001 SE 4wd. for the top mount they provide you with 2 cylindrical shaped rubber bushings. When tightening do you tighten the nut on the top of the shaft until the bushings are flattened out and oval shaped or if not how much do you tighten them? Also does the dust boot just sit on top of the snap ring on the shaft or is it secured somehow? On the bottom mount do you tighten the nut until you can't tighten anymore or is there a place where you should stop?

On the rear I'm installing 2 Bilstein F4-B46-2126-H1 (24-184908). Again how much do I tighten the upper mount and lower mount nuts?

I don't have a torque wrench so I need some way to figure out how much to tighten everything. On the front tops is measuring the space between the top & bottom crush washers a good way and if so what should the space be?

I know these are pretty basic questions but I want to make sure that I install them correctly.

#678847 - 03/07/12 03:58 PM Re: Bilstein Front & Rear Shocks Install [Re: bvimiguel]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: bvimiguel
I'm installing 2 Bilstein F4-B46-1099-H2 (24-187824) on the front of my 2001 SE 4wd. for the top mount they provide you with 2 cylindrical shaped rubber bushings. When tightening do you tighten the nut on the top of the shaft until the bushings are flattened out and oval shaped or if not how much do you tighten them? Also does the dust boot just sit on top of the snap ring on the shaft or is it secured somehow? On the bottom mount do you tighten the nut until you can't tighten anymore or is there a place where you should stop?

On the rear I'm installing 2 Bilstein F4-B46-2126-H1 (24-184908). Again how much do I tighten the upper mount and lower mount nuts?

I don't have a torque wrench so I need some way to figure out how much to tighten everything. On the front tops is measuring the space between the top & bottom crush washers a good way and if so what should the space be?

I know these are pretty basic questions but I want to make sure that I install them correctly.

For shock bushings...you want them snug but not squished.

laugh

On the front top mount, yeah, you hold it, you only only want one part to tighten down...the other stays still.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal