2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#678964 - 26/07/12 02:40 PM dealer quoted me $140 for the timing belt?
babyX Offline

So, I've been talking to GrayHam about my X because he'll be owning it soon, and he asked me about the timing belt. Honestly, I hadn't been thinking about it. So I called the dealership to see what it would cost me to get that replaced. He said "when we do the 100k mile service, we check the tri belts and if any are showing signs of wear, we replace them all for $139.99." To which I said, "that include the timing belt?" And he said, "Yes ma'am, if any of them are showing wear."

So.... what the heck? Those suckers HAVE to be more than that. Am I not asking for the right thing, or is he not listening?

#678965 - 26/07/12 04:56 PM Re: dealer quoted me $140 for the timing belt? [Re: babyX]
Nissan_MasterTech Offline

Loc: Florida
They are way more that that.

Sounds to me like the service advisor quoted you the price for replaced the engine drive belts i.e Alternator / AC / Pwr Steering.

Timing belts usually run bewteen 400-600 bucks depending on what level of service you want.

Most do the timing belt , water pump, tensioner and thermostat and at times the cam and crank seals as it's easier to do them all at the same time because it's all apart.

#678966 - 26/07/12 06:31 PM Re: dealer quoted me $140 for the timing belt? [Re: Nissan_MasterTech]
babyX Offline

When I called back and asked specifically about the timing belt and the spark plugs, they quoted my a different number: $550 for both.

I'm kind of afraid to ask about the water pump and whatever else because I have a feeling that these guys don't know what the heck they're doing. I asked them about the servicing, and all he said was that they check a bunch of stuff, change the oil, and rotate the tires. So, now either I need to trust them, or I need a list of everything that needs to be done and then go in there with that list.

What. A. Pain.

#678967 - 27/07/12 04:17 AM Re: dealer quoted me $140 for the timing belt? [Re: babyX]
Nissan_MasterTech Offline

Loc: Florida
If you don't trust them, do go there.

#679045 - 11/08/12 12:16 PM Re: dealer quoted me $140 for the timing belt? [Re: Nissan_MasterTech]
lilstinz12 Offline

I cant tell you much about pricing but my dad has a shop for mainly fleet work but I take my X there to do my work on it. This past week I replaced the timing belt and while I was in there I also did the water pump, some coolant hoses, all three of the drive belts, two idler pullys, and the alternator. To get to the timing belt you have to pull the radiator, this is why most of the time you will be replacing parts such as the water pump and thermostat.
I have a 2001 xterra se 137,000 miles on it.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal