2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#679327 - 22/10/12 08:31 PM 2000 Xterra - All rev'd up and nowhere to go...
Villescas Offline

I have a 2000 Xterra and over the last couple of days I've experienced a traumatic* loss of forward momentum when I release the clutch in order to, well, drive down the street.

The "go-ness" ability of my Xterra has gotten worse very quickly. The engine starts and runs just fine... basic fluids are at appropriate levels (oil level and coolant with no excess smoke coming out of the exhaust).

There is also no noticeable overheating or observable electrical failings.

I was told by a mechanic/fortune teller that a clutch replacement is in my future and my question is if this a symptom of the prophesied clutch replacement?

The clutch shifts through the transmissions (5-speed manual) gears just fine - including reverse, it's just that when step off the clutch pedal, to move forward the vehicle pretty much remains stationary, well unless I really rev the engine - then it'll creep forward. I've even tried the 2H and 4H gears.

Any thoughts?

Aaron

*Not a typo... I really am traumatized by this!

Edited by Villescas (22/10/12 08:45 PM)

#679329 - 23/10/12 08:48 AM Re: 2000 Xterra - All rev'd up and nowhere to go... [Re: Villescas]
k_enn Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Sound like the clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced. How many miles on the clutch?

#679330 - 23/10/12 10:47 AM Re: 2000 Xterra - All rev'd up and nowhere to go... [Re: k_enn]
Villescas Offline

I'll need to dig up the paperwork from when we bought it... there is over 200k miles on the odometer now, so it is probable that a clutch could the problem. I was just puzzled by still being able to shift gears with no problem engaging the transmission (no sticking or grinding...). I have a friend coming by to look at it, and this gives me something to sound reasonably competent for when they trailer it to get it to a shop... Thank you!

#679331 - 23/10/12 12:53 PM Re: 2000 Xterra - All rev'd up and nowhere to go... [Re: Villescas]
slantyshanty Offline

Loc: Northern Michigan
Not trying to steal your post but I am having the exact (almost) opposite problem. When I PUSH the clutch there is a pretty good sense of deceleration. Like maybe my hubs need packed? 04 w/52k miles. Has seen some water crossings though. :-)
2004 World Champ - 4x4 Man Trans - Silver - 3"SL+2"BL - Revolvers - Rancho RS9000XL's - Rancho RS5000 stab w/IAB - ARB rear locker - 34" BFG MT's Soft 8's - Blood red Shrock Sliders - Mean Green 180A - Optima 31 Bluetop - U-bolt skids - Hz+dB's

#679341 - 24/10/12 08:40 AM Re: 2000 Xterra - All rev'd up and nowhere to go... [Re: Villescas]
k_enn Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Villescas
I'll need to dig up the paperwork from when we bought it... there is over 200k miles on the odometer now, so it is probable that a clutch could the problem. I was just puzzled by still being able to shift gears with no problem engaging the transmission (no sticking or grinding...). I have a friend coming by to look at it, and this gives me something to sound reasonably competent for when they trailer it to get it to a shop... Thank you!

With 200K on the odo, the truck should already be on its second clutch, and could well be due for a third. The fact that you can move the lever from gear to gear without grinding also supports a clutch that is gone. Thje problem is that the clutch is disengaging (slipping) when it should not, which will not hinder the changing of gears. In other words, it is acting like you have the clutch depressed when in fact it is not. That is a classic sign of a clutch slipping.

#680607 - 20/10/13 08:59 AM Re: 2000 Xterra - All rev'd up and nowhere to go... [Re: k_enn]
Mudslinger79 Offline

Loc: Virginia
Sounds like the clutch is taking a poop. I am fortunate to have 167xxx on the original clutch. It has lightened up a bit though. It'll get changed out after the new year. I just granny shift LOL.

#680872 - 24/01/14 01:51 AM Re: 2000 Xterra - All rev'd up and nowhere to go... [Re: Mudslinger79]
fifa14coinsoo Offline

If your X is not an SC model you dont have to worry about the KS code

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal