shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#673696 - 31/10/10 09:42 PM Nissan Xterra Timing Chain Issue- Warning
kimitriz Offline

Long entry, but bear with me. I'm finding timing chain issues are prevalent among Nissans 2005-2010 and I would like to save other owners the grief I've experienced with this problem. Read on....

My 2007 Xterra with 66.5K miles began making a whining noise under acceleration. Thinking it was just a worn belt, I took it to Boardwalk NISSAN in Redwood City, CA where I purchased the vehicle (new) and have it serviced. After a quick inspection, the technician easily determined the noise to be from my timing chains, tensioners, and guides and quoted me an estimate of $1980! The technician asked me whether I had an extended warranty since I was just past the 60k mileage, but I did not. He explained that damage to my pistons and valves could occur to which I replied that I was shocked that such a serious issue could happen so unexpectantly when I had followed all the scheduled maintenance. The technician then said that there was actually a Service Bulletin regarding this very issue and advised me to speak with Nissan Customer Service (1.800.NISSAN.1) about covering the repair. Since I understood the urgency for the repair and am a loyal customer to this dealership, I gave the Go-Ahead to start the repairs. I fully expected a long wait for the parts so I was surprised to find out that they had the parts in stock and the work would only take a few days! I then proceeded to call Nissan Customer Service while I waited for my ride home. I spoke with a rep (Jabriel, 615.725.7444) who took my VIN #, notes about the necessary repairs and an estimate which I faxed within the hour. His tone gave me confidence to fully expect some type of reimbursement.

That afternoon, I found two Service Bulletins online (NTB07-042 superceded by NTB09-128) and similar experiences on the Nissanhelp.com forum: Nissanhelp.com/Knowledgebase/Latest Uploads/Ntb07-042 Vq Engine; Buzzing/Whining Noise. These Xterras were a few thousand miles past warranty and well cared for (just like mine), who were either covered 100% or at least reimbursed for the parts and so my confidence grew. I then spoke with the Nissan rep that afternoon to which he replied, "you can't believe everything you read on the internet". Now I was beginning to have my doubts...

After not hearing back from Nissan Customer Service for two full days, I called them just before picking up my Xterra. I had to leave a message and when I arrived at Boardwalk was asked to pay $1450 (they did not replace the tensioners or guides). I then asked them to call Nissan Customer Service to see if they would be covering anything. Nissan's response was that they'd get back to me later in the day but that I would need to pay first in order to drive my car home. I paid the $1450 and later that afternoon, got an adamant, "NO" for any coverage whatsoever!

Nissan decided they would not cover ANY of the expenses and explained that they review each situation on a case-by-case basis taking into consideration the mileage, the warranty status, maintenance records, etc... but how does my case differ from the others, I do not know!

I intend to plead my case to Nissan Corporate (does anyone know how to do this??). I have lost my faith in how Nissan stands behind its customers and this experience will deter me from buying another Nissan vehicle. I hope that others learn from my experience and look into all Service Bulletins BEFORE their warranty expires. Service Bulletins are not necessarily Recalls - it is clear that even if the issue is not due to any fault of the owner, even if the issue can result in major engine damage, Nissan will not necessarily issue a recall due to the cost to them and/or the prevalence of the issue. I guess economics is more important than satisfied customers! It is ironic that one of the reviews I read before purchasing my 2007 Xterra boasts, "Engine noise, likewise, is kept to a minimum through techniques such as a silent timing chain, microfinished surfaces and Teflon-coated pistons."

#674173 - 24/12/10 02:02 AM Re: Nissan Xterra Timing Chain Issue- Warning [Re: kimitriz]
sdxterra Offline

I have a 05 and at 66k miles I had that wining sound on and off and thouht it was the power stering.. I went away and now my stering feels funny once in a while,but all is ok for now! Now i wonder?

Edited by sdxterra (24/12/10 02:03 AM)

#674174 - 24/12/10 08:32 AM Re: Nissan Xterra Timing Chain Issue- Warning [Re: sdxterra]
e207 Offline

Loc: Ashland, PA U.S.A.
I hope you got a complete list of everything they changed ! I dont know how the 2nd gens are, but hell, it only took me about 6 hours to do a complete timing belt kit change on my 1st gen. and the whole kit was around 300 bucks. I am sure there is a price difference, and maybe a different parts list on what should be changed, but I would think, and hope for that amount of time, and what they charged you that if its set up anything like the first gens, that for that kind of cash, they changed everything in there while they were in there.
Reman'd engine installed 5/16/09 at 87,894 miles

Captain 38-90
Member of Fire District-38 Station-1 since 1991.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/172465012765747/
http://www.pioneertunnel.com/home.shtml

#676120 - 24/07/11 02:49 AM Re: Nissan Xterra Timing Chain Issue- Warning [Re: e207]
Void Terra Firma Offline

I just went through the same problem and the dealer charged me just shy of 1,500 for the parts and labor. My Xterra was just shy of 30,000 miles when the problem began but it was about 9 months out of Warranty having owned it over the 5 year limit.

I did not call Nissan on this issue I got the address and sent them all the parts removed from my X and a letter to complain that a repair of this magnatude was not expected and should not be incurred considering the milage.

Kim at North American Nissan took my case and verified all the facts with the dealer. I was only asked to send a copy of my registration but I went one further and sent a copy of my title too.

I was told the Check just over 1,000 dollars should be mailed out Monday morning.
I really did not expect them to come through like this. I thought at best they would pay for the parts IF I was lucky. I've had business's toss their name in the garbage for a lot less money then this so this is a very nice change of pace. Nissan did not have to make this right with me and legally I'd not have had any recourse. This shows Nissan will stand by their products within reason. I can honestly say I never expected any problems on my X before 50,000 miles. It's nice to see that while I was wrong not to expect any problems that Nissan is taking care of it anyway.

I should mention that I keep a Maintenance log with all oil changes and service work done with date, and facility included. In addition I keep all recites from all work and service done. This was all sent to Nissan for their review.

Mike

#679508 - 11/12/12 02:13 PM Re: Nissan Xterra Timing Chain Issue- Warning [Re: Void Terra Firma]
Fleezoid Offline

My situation is nearly identical to kimitriz above. I went through the whole process from the dealer to Nissan Consumer Affairs and was told they would not cover the repair. When I asked about the criteria used for their decision, the representative refused to provide details.

My 2007 Xterra is well passed the warranty at just over 100,000 miles and the problem, at least to my knowlege, didn't start until several months ago. One of the dealer's maintenance supervisors is the one that pointed out the problem to me.

Nissan also told me that they review the repair request on a case by case basis. That simply means it is based on the individual and not the nature of the problem which should not be the case.

I have filed a complaint with the BBB and have starting looking at the possibility of a class action lawsuit. I do not know if that's a viable approach, but at the very least, I will file through small claims to at the very least get Nissan to provide details of the criteria they use for their decision.

#679509 - 11/12/12 02:17 PM Re: Nissan Xterra Timing Chain Issue- Warning [Re: Fleezoid]
Fleezoid Offline

I would like to add, if anyone would like provide me information about the problems they've experienced, please email to rayy1116@hotmail.com. If I get any traction with the lawsuit, any information will certainly help.

#679512 - 11/12/12 10:10 PM Re: Nissan Xterra Timing Chain Issue- Warning [Re: Fleezoid]
erot Offline

My 2007 Xterra with 62K miles began making the whining noise as well!!!

I see many people asking about the problem but very few complains documented ! . Please join the effort to make Nissan acknowledge the issue and inform other owners . In case the warranty is extended ( forced due to many complains ) we might be eligible for a refund . Please document your issue even if you have fixed the issue in the past as it is still a valid complain and a valid issue

Step 1: File Your Complaint at CarComplaints.com

CarComplaints.com is a free resource dedicated to uncovering car problem trends and informing the consumer.

http://www.carcomplaints.com

Step 2: Report a Safety Concern to the NHTSA

The NHTSA directs highway safety and has the authority to force recalls to be issued following investigations.
http://www.safercar.gov/

You can read more details on my issue below:

My 2007 Xterra with 62K miles began making a whining noise as well.Not sure what it was I took it to the Nissan dealer where I get all my major services done .the technician took a look at the problem and within min notify me it is the timing belt chain and guides , known issue for my Nissan Xterra .

When I ask him if he is sure he confirm he does few of this every month and that the problem is so known that Nissan has a service bulletin, with the title describing the issue and the symptom ! He has confirm the issue is with the plastic guide that is part of the design .

Looking online I find many Nissan owners are experiencing the same problem .

I am extremely disappointed with the Nissan brand and not sure what to do , If I replace the part , will it happen again as it is a design issue ?

When buying the car, one of the selling point was that he car does not have a timing belt any more but a chain ! That will most likely engine it self .

Calling Nissan customer service did not help and I am left with a $2000 repair due to a known issue and bad design.

#679955 - 26/03/13 02:38 PM Re: Nissan Xterra Timing Chain Issue- Warning [Re: erot]
SuzyMay Offline

Loc: NJ
Hi there! Any further update on this in regards to Nissan stepping to the plate? I just took my 07 (48K miles) in and was told the timing chain. I was FLOORED until I googles these forums. I created a case with Nissan, but I am told they have 24 hours to review the case. My dealer said "no one" is getting reimbursed from Nissan on this issue.

#680367 - 04/08/13 02:36 AM Re: Nissan Xterra Timing Chain Issue- Warning [Re: SuzyMay]
Void Terra Firma Offline

Originally Posted By: SuzyMay
Hi there! Any further update on this in regards to Nissan stepping to the plate? I just took my 07 (48K miles) in and was told the timing chain. I was FLOORED until I googles these forums. I created a case with Nissan, but I am told they have 24 hours to review the case. My dealer said "no one" is getting reimbursed from Nissan on this issue.

As related in my post I was reimbursed! I was lucky it hit me before the milage warranty was up however. I am positive I'd have been out of luck too. I thought at the time how un lucky I was but looking back I was very lucky. It is clearly a design or quality control issue that Nissan should have done a recall on.

I don't recall my milage at the time, was your 48k miles still within the warranty? (Never mind I just saw the warranty expires after 30,000 miles) It might have also helped that I sent the parts to them for effect and penned a well written argument for my case I don't know.

Edited by Void Terra Firma (04/08/13 02:41 AM)

#680369 - 05/08/13 01:56 PM Re: Nissan Xterra Timing Chain Issue- Warning [Re: Void Terra Firma]
Void Terra Firma Offline

I should add that 30,000 miles end of warranty made me nervous when I was buying, I thought reliability was better and that I really did not have to worry. Seems Nissan was bought out by another auto maker and is probably why the reliability has suffered.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal