shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#495155 - 07/03/10 02:45 PM Engine misfire
JFD Offline

Loc: Western Springs, IL
My 2002 XE-SC has been running rough forever at idle. Intermittent check engine light that is on more than it's off. Mechanic says the code is a misfire but doesn't tell them which cylinder. I have gotten horrible mileage (12) for a long time but dealer told me it was not uncommon with SC engine. I have had a full tune up (not 1/2 tune up dealers do) and up to date on maintenance. Dealer and my other shop seem unable to solve the problem.

I'm driving my X down the Baja in June and if the X dies on the way, I probably will too so this is something I'm going to have to figure out before then. Any ideas on cause or things to try?

#495161 - 08/03/10 06:01 AM Re: Engine misfire [Re: JFD]
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
If the mechanic can read a code and not know what cylinder is causing the misfire, I would recommend a new mechanic. The code for a misfire is P030x, x being 1-6 depending on which cylinder is causing the misfire. If he doesn't know that, he needs a little more time in the classroom.

What was done in the full tune up? Not ever shop does the same thing during a tune up.

One of the things that can cause a misfire is a vacuum leak. The injectors can also cause a misfire, along with the plugs and wires and the distributor.

The misfire will decrease the gas mileage a little, but the big culprit is probably the Knock Sensor. A faulty knock sensor on a regular engine isn't a big deal, but on a Supercharged Engine it is a big deal.

I would take it to an Autozone or somewhere else that reads codes for free and find out exactly what codes the engine is throwing (the next time the SES light is on). Or buy a half decent code reader for like $60 - $70 and find out for yourself.

-Michael

#495270 - 13/03/10 02:12 PM Re: Engine misfire [Re: swampwrecker]
JFD Offline

Thanks for the tip. My dealer tune up at the recommended interval was only 4 spark plugs I think. They said they don't have to change the others because they are hard to reach. My private mechanic said he did them all. I'm not very mechanical so I sort of took their word for it that they were doing what needed to be done. My memory is they changed the distributor. I'll take it back in and ask some more questions.

#495537 - 02/04/10 03:58 PM Re: Engine misfire [Re: JFD]
GrnXnham Offline

Loc: Tacoma, WA
I had the same symptoms about a year ago on my 2002.

I replaced the distributor cap and rotor and the problem was fixed.

#674124 - 19/12/10 08:05 PM Re: Engine misfire [Re: JFD]
ASTE25 Offline

Loc: New Market, Alabama
Have you checked for a vacuum leak? A vacuum leak can cause a misfire and will also cause a rough idle. If you had a tune up and the tune up didn't fix it, I'd say it's a vacuum leak. Try spraying some carb or brake cleaner around the intake manifold while it is idling. If the idle speed changes (usually will increase) when you spray the cleaner, it's got a vacuum leak somewhere.

#679595 - 04/01/13 04:52 AM Re: Engine misfire [Re: ASTE25]
JFD Offline

My misfire problem has resurfaced down here in Mexico. The local shop got a "cylinder 1 misfire" code. So, if you only had 1 day to change some parts and hope you fixed it, what would you change? I have a Nissan dealer close by and might be able to get a cap and rotor if that is worth trying. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time right now to deal with this so I'm going to have them try something and if that doesn't work I'll just park it for a while until I have more time.

When you say vacuum leak, what would cause and/or fix something like that?

#679597 - 04/01/13 04:56 PM Re: Engine misfire [Re: JFD]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: JFD
My misfire problem has resurfaced down here in Mexico. The local shop got a "cylinder 1 misfire" code. So, if you only had 1 day to change some parts and hope you fixed it, what would you change? I have a Nissan dealer close by and might be able to get a cap and rotor if that is worth trying. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time right now to deal with this so I'm going to have them try something and if that doesn't work I'll just park it for a while until I have more time.

When you say vacuum leak, what would cause and/or fix something like that?

Is it misfiring, as in you can tell, or is just the code?

The duct from the air filter box to the intake plenum can get a crack in it, typically on the bottom where you can't see it...and that could even cause the problem, as well as other drivability issues, etc.

If its cyl #1, it might be the plug WIRE or the plug is iffy for example.

The distributor can be at fault too....as well as the contact in the roter/cap, etc.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal