shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#679843 - 09/03/13 11:05 PM Backup camera?
Joe Bloggs Offline

Can anyone please share experience / recommendations for adding a backup camera? (I have an '01)

#679844 - 10/03/13 06:59 AM Re: Backup camera? [Re: Joe Bloggs]
Gonzo-2 Offline

Loc: Lansing, Michigan
Added one to my '03 several years ago. Glad I did because I was backing into things I couldn't see (my daughter's car being one of them - twice! Luckily no real damage either time.).

Don't have pics, but I mounted the monitor (7"!) on two aluminum rails I added from the little cargo net thing and the compass housing. It hangs upside down, but there is a button to run the image right side up again. I also mounted it with a clamp in the joint so I can swing it up against the ceiling when my wife drives the X - she doesn't like it and wants to use the rearview mirror instead.

The camera is at the license plate and the transmitter (it's a wireless system) is mounted inside on the Sgt Lobo rack. All in all, it works really well. If I had any complaints, I'd say that I'd like a higher place to mount the camera that would work for me. But, the system works very well.

I have it wired with two switches. One for the monitor, the other is a DTDP with off in the center. Up, and the camera is always on. Down and it will come on automatically when I go into reverse. There are some legal issues with having backup cameras and where you can put the monitor so if you're concerned there, check your local laws.

If I recall correctly, it was make by Peak and I paid $70 for the whole system. Well, plus time, switches and wiring.

Need more? Let me know.

BFG AT/KO
Custom fuse panels for electrical mods
Custom backup solution mod (lights/camera/monitor)
Custom switched power outlets (8+ total)
Lots-o-Lights (6 driving lights, 10 total)

Original registration - Sep, '03
Pre-crash post count - ~1100

#679845 - 10/03/13 10:24 AM Re: Backup camera? [Re: Gonzo-2]
Joe Bloggs Offline

Thanks for the info.

I noticed in the Amazon reviews that the Peak system has major problems if you use Bluetooth - any experience of this?

#679848 - 10/03/13 04:43 PM Re: Backup camera? [Re: Joe Bloggs]
Gonzo-2 Offline

Not much. I mean, I have used BT in my truck, but I can't say I've ever had both on at the same time. But in my experience with it, the only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't like working when it's below freezing. It shows more static on the screen when it should be black and quiet. But recycling the power (via my power switch, not the one on the monitor) usually eliminates it. Quick and simple. And once the truck warms up, it goes away anyway.

In any event, I'm happy with it and it comes in VERY handy like when changing lanes in traffic - it's easy to see when you're past a car and can move over - and aligning the hitch with my trailer. But mostly, just for seeing what's behind me when backing down the drive.

BFG AT/KO

#679853 - 11/03/13 02:23 PM Re: Backup camera? [Re: Gonzo-2]
e207 Offline

Loc: Ashland, PA U.S.A.
I put the peak one on mine last year, had to go with the smaller monitor one, because there was no were to mount the 7 inch without it being in the way. never really had any problems with it, works good, I dont have or use blue tooth so cant speak on that part. only annoyance with it, is that it does sometimes pick up stray signals from other wireless camera's, business or home use ones. and the blue light on it get anoying at night, I painted mine over so i dont see it blinking at times. hookup is simple enough, used the factory mount for on the lisence plate. I do want to re wire it so that I can either turn it on whenver I want, or push the switch and have it come on only when in reverse though.

Edited by e207 (11/03/13 02:24 PM)
Reman'd engine installed 5/16/09 at 87,894 miles

Captain 38-90
Member of Fire District-38 Station-1 since 1991.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/172465012765747/
http://www.pioneertunnel.com/home.shtml

#679855 - 11/03/13 04:28 PM Re: Backup camera? [Re: e207]
Gonzo-2 Offline

E-
Tap into your stock reverse lights and use that to trigger a relay to power the camera (and the monitor if you'd like). I then connected that to a SPDT switch with the other side of the switch being power that trips the relay. This way, in one position, it's on when in reverse, another position on at will, and when in the center, it's off regardless.

BFG AT/KO

#679856 - 11/03/13 05:24 PM Re: Backup camera? [Re: Gonzo-2]
e207 Offline

Loc: Ashland, PA U.S.A.
yeah, thats what I was thinking Gonzo, just hadnt had the time to find a switch yet. once I got it working the normal way, I figured, thats good enough for now, I'll put the switch in later, well, its now later,and still no switch yet!! lol

#679879 - 15/03/13 09:55 PM Re: Backup camera? [Re: e207]
michale Offline

Hi, I think this is right place for getting some help from you people because your comments show that you all have good experience in auto field, so please suggest a dildo shop to buy the biggest one I can.

#680221 - 02/07/13 11:19 PM Re: Backup camera? [Re: michale]
camron Offline

Why not you installed any security system that have the cameras and other security system that help you to monitor your security.And also you can hire and alarm monitoring company for monitor your security system.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal