shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#679931 - 22/03/13 06:33 PM Probably dumb questions.
BDCam7556 Offline

I recently bought an xterra and I have a few concerns. It's a 2006 4wd. I bought the x from a local small dealer, it was as is with no warranty, and of course I got the "runs perfectly" speech. The day after I bought it it started to overheat and lost a lot of coolant, so I had it checked out, they said it was an air bubble in the heater core so they purged it. A few days later it began getting hot again, so I took it somewhere else and they changed the thermostat , so far it's working well however it still reads hotter than I noticed in my old car, it gets just above the temp icon. Is this a normal running temp. Also, I can hear what sounds like coolant moving through the system. It isn't boiling, I heard the bowling before I changed the thermostat, it sound more like gurgling when stopped and when I turn it off. It also sounds like the coolant is rushing through the system when I accelerate sometimes. Another thing I've noticed is that when I am going downhill or not actively using the accelerator the rpms go up, almost like its shifting. There is also a small leak of what I think is oil, it's a very small and slow drip. Lastly, ok not sure if this is even a real issue but the engine sounds "Whiney?" Almost like the sound that's made when the power steering is low, however it does r make the sound just when I'm turning, it also gets louder (maybe a little higher pitch) when accelerating. One more thing, sorry, when the slip control kicks in, there is an unsettling grinding noise. I don't know if any of this is related or if its even an issue. I'm just very paranoid, also I'm broke.

#679950 - 25/03/13 09:31 PM Re: Probably dumb questions. [Re: BDCam7556]
PartsPeddler Offline

Loc: Richardson (Dallas), Texas, US...
Sounds like what you bought is worn out. If it is not too late, I would take it back and tell them to fix it - for free. They should not have offered a vehicle with so many problems - unless they sold it cheap and told you something along those lines. "As is" is a common way of presenting a used vehicle, but the reputation of the seller is at stake when problems like this arise. Give them a chance to do the right thing. You may need to get in their face, but only as a last resort. What you have described may cost you thousands of dollars to repair.

#679956 - 26/03/13 10:22 PM Re: Probably dumb questions. [Re: PartsPeddler]
BDCam7556 Offline

Great, do you think I should have a mechanic look at before I go back to the dealer? Would it be better to have a nissan dealer check it out?

#679957 - 27/03/13 07:43 AM Re: Probably dumb questions. [Re: BDCam7556]
PartsPeddler Offline

Loc: Richardson (Dallas), Texas, US...
It may be a good idea to take it to the Nissan dealer. I would call ahead to see if they have a free 27 point inspection (or something like it). It is a good time to establish a relationship with them.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal