2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#680152 - 12/06/13 05:16 PM school me please
slantyshanty Offline

Loc: Northern Michigan
What are the signs/symptoms of:

1. Clutch going out?
2. Alternator going out?
3. Cracked head/manifold?

Got some crazy noises coming from the 'ol X these days. Wish I had some way to video them (without wind noise from driving).
2004 World Champ - 4x4 Man Trans - Silver - 3"SL+2"BL - Revolvers - Rancho RS9000XL's - Rancho RS5000 stab w/IAB - ARB rear locker - 34" BFG MT's Soft 8's - Blood red Shrock Sliders - Mean Green 180A - Optima 31 Bluetop - U-bolt skids - Hz+dB's

#680153 - 13/06/13 07:31 PM Re: school me please [Re: slantyshanty]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: slantyshanty
What are the signs/symptoms of:

1. Clutch going out?
2. Alternator going out?
3. Cracked head/manifold?

Got some crazy noises coming from the 'ol X these days. Wish I had some way to video them (without wind noise from driving).

Wish I had more time, but briefly, if the clutch is going, the pilot or throwout bearing can make noise, typically as you are clutching, but some load situations when you pop out of gear, etc...and add that the friction plates can also make noise when under load, etc.

The alternator symptoms are related to the battery going dead/weak even though you were running the engine, etc. You can measure the charge with a meter as it runs...if the engine running isn't adding juice on your reading, you're in trouble.

The exhaust is your main clue on the manifold, with the engine running, block the exhaust with a rag, etc, and see if the ticking or whatever under there, gets louder/changes in character, etc.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#680156 - 13/06/13 09:10 PM Re: school me please [Re: TJ]
slantyshanty Offline

Loc: Northern Michigan
Awesome, thanks! (knew you would be the one to help)

Alt is a mean green 180A. It has always been a bit noisy. If I leave my lights turned on, like an idiot, that bad boy whistles pretty loud until the batt is back to normal range. I've done that more than once thanks to my door beep mod... That isn't the noise that really bothers me, it is more of a ticking. But not the normal gen 1 startup ticking. Ok so not TOO worried about that but would rather not have that go bad on me.

Haven't tested the exhaust, will do tomorrow. Wouldn't be surprised, again gen 1.

I guess my problem is going to be clutch related. That's kinda what I thought but was hoping it was something easier to fix.

Squeaking under load especially in lower gears/speeds, slight pulse when accelerating, ticking, the works. I JUST hit 57k miles (yes on an '04) but expected since I have spent a great deal of time off roading in the mojave, before I moved up here. Guess it's about time to get a new one. Now the question is, do I try to do it myself or pay to have it done... Time/effort vs. $$$ hmmm

Thanks again.
2004 World Champ - 4x4 Man Trans - Silver - 3"SL+2"BL - Revolvers - Rancho RS9000XL's - Rancho RS5000 stab w/IAB - ARB rear locker - 34" BFG MT's Soft 8's - Blood red Shrock Sliders - Mean Green 180A - Optima 31 Bluetop - U-bolt skids - Hz+dB's

#680157 - 14/06/13 08:30 AM Re: school me please [Re: slantyshanty]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
First things first, report back on the exhaust, and take it from there.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal