shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#680779 - 11/12/13 10:31 PM Help with shock selection
soaringDude Offline

Let me start by saying I have been searching and reading past posts all day today and the more I read, the more I am confused! I could use some help.

I have an 05 SE 4WD with 130K miles on it (on the original shocks!). The truck is pretty much all stock. I do a fair bit of trailering and the trailer weights about 2000lb. My offloading is pretty basic and have never really felt I need a lift or change to the suspension. It has been great as it came out of the dealership. Obviously after 130k, the shocks are gone and need to be replaced and in the past year I have been starting to notice I bottom out a lot more often.

I am looking at AAL options to stiffen up the back springs to solve the bottoming out. But the question is about the shocks. Most folks seem to be recommending to go with Bilstein 5125 Series but I can't figure out if those are recommended for folks that have stock setting or already modified and added 1-2" of lift? Thoughts?

Also are these the right shock part numbers:
Front: Bilstein 24-187053
Back: Bilstein 24-187169

And finally while I am doing this, are there any other maintenance items I should consider? Like replacing bushings, stabilizer, ball joints, etc?

#680783 - 15/12/13 05:23 PM Re: Help with shock selection [Re: soaringDude]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
AAL will stiffen the ride and reduce the tires ability to follow the terrain, and, the valving for the shocks needs to be stronger to compensate for the change in spring rate, etc...but for what yo describe, would probably be ok.

The non-lifted X can fit the shocks for the lift, because the lift only raises the ride height, not the compressed length of the shock.

The lift kit shocks are also valved a bit stronger to account for the AAL and typically larger tires, higher COG, etc.

If you do decide to lift later, you could just leaves the shocks and only get the other parts that lift it.....and if you never lift, you can just leave the shocks indefinitely....again, they fit a stock X.

I can't look up the part numbers on my phone w/o giving up the rest of my evening...but as long as the FRONT shocks are not the ones that have a built in shelf that lifts you by itself (Sort of a built in bumpstop...), they should be good.

Edited by TJ (15/12/13 05:23 PM)

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal