2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#638012 - 20/02/04 09:57 AM Re: Aero-Turbine Muffler = + MPG & HP!!!???
Anonymous
Unregistered

From what I remember from aeronautics.. Subsonic airflow: increase the crossection, and the flow rate drops.. decrease the crossection, and it increases.. Supersonic flow, is reversed.. unless your exhaust is moving one hell of a lot faster then mine, a larger exhaust will only lower the velocity.. The larger exhaust will lower back pressure, to a point, you get to large, and you loose the scavengeing from one cylinder to another..

#638013 - 20/02/04 05:22 PM Re: Aero-Turbine Muffler = + MPG & HP!!!???
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by rx7xterra:
marketing spin
Hmm... Maybe that is the "physics" behind the scavenge effect.

#638014 - 23/02/04 10:06 AM Re: Aero-Turbine Muffler = + MPG & HP!!!???
bonesnTX Offline

Loc: TEXAS
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
I'll remain skeptical. Bones, you get 3 baseline dyno pulls before, and another 3 after and document your mileage before and after. If there's an improvement worth noting, I'll change my position. I ain't gonna bite on the placebo effect alone, a wallet $189 lighter does make a "seat of the pants" difference wink
Dyno testing will not be available to me as I live in a complete lack of money these days after being laid-off in 1999 and acquiring another job that pays much less but has other advantages to almost make it tolerable.

I'm after better MPG, that I can track as I have tracked my current, stock configuration from the beginning of my ownership bought new in 2002. That I will publish here extensively and conclusively. The stock torque and HP is fine for my needs but I know others have complained that the X is not sufficient...I've never had any brand of truck leave me at a light if I cared at the time. No, it's not quick or fast but for that we should be driving old Hot Rods, Ferrari or one of the new wizz-bang supercharged cars.

#638015 - 23/02/04 12:32 PM Re: Aero-Turbine Muffler = + MPG & HP!!!???
BlueXU Offline

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA
My .02
Yes, increased volume decreases velocity (deceleration). But they claim acclerating exhaust gasses. The reason they are right: Rotation. The Exhaust rotating is technically constantly accelerating (in an new direction). So that claim is true. BUUUUUT, that kind of roational acceleration does nothing for reducing pressure or increasing flow upstream.

It's all a gimmic.
Here's one for you, stop buying cheap gas, buy the "super" and you'll gain more HP than this bogus muffler. Hmf! :rolleyes:

I have some snake oil gas additive. It's only $50 bucks for one bottle, and it'll last you 5 years.

Mech. Engineer. CA.

#638016 - 23/02/04 12:49 PM Re: Aero-Turbine Muffler = + MPG & HP!!!???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rotational acceleration?? True, a change of direction is an accelleration but comes at the expense of linear velocity... energy has to come from somewhere so you must therefore have created more backpressure...

I hope you were kidding about higher octane gasolines.

Ender

#638017 - 23/02/04 12:57 PM Re: Aero-Turbine Muffler = + MPG & HP!!!???
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by EnderMyst:
I hope you were kidding about higher octane gasolines.
Well, he is a mechanical engineer... [Freak]

#638018 - 24/02/04 06:31 AM Re: Aero-Turbine Muffler = + MPG & HP!!!???
bonesnTX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
Originally posted by EnderMyst:
[b]I hope you were kidding about higher octane gasolines.
Well, he is a mechanical engineer... [Freak] [/b]
Some of the biggest idiots I've encountered have degrees. If they had not acheived a degree they would not be capable of making it at a McDonalds type of brainless work. College was certainly nothing difficult to me...You should see some of the quacks down my halls...!

Hands-On experience is what makes someone's opinion maybe worthwhile...An educated person with hands-on experience at times is even better.

#638019 - 24/02/04 10:57 AM Re: Aero-Turbine Muffler = + MPG & HP!!!???
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
All bickering aside, aren't the HP and mileage gains these gizmos claim to achieve only attainable at a constant full throttle for an extended period of time?

I saw some show on speed vision where they did some basic research into these kinds of products and said yes, they can claim certain gains, but only in non-realistic (i.e. racing type) driving situations. You'd have to be going a constant 90 mph for a prolonged period of time to see even a minimal gain. And they said some products may work on older carb engines, but not on todays FI type engines.

Just 2 cents worth....resume bickering....

#638020 - 24/02/04 11:11 AM Re: Aero-Turbine Muffler = + MPG & HP!!!???
bonesnTX Offline

Until someone gets one, tests it and reports data all that is available on XOC is BS based on BS OPINIONS. Then, when someone does report findings it will be laughed at, dis-credited as "in-error" or "you don't know what you are talking about".

Right off the bat, the hungover bartender discredited the manufacturer stating he could not get email contact or phone contact with them and unfortunately his drunken comments wil probably be remembered for a long time. No matter what I say after my analysis, the drunken comments will prevail?

Funny how easy it has been for me to converse with them?

#638021 - 24/02/04 01:53 PM Re: Aero-Turbine Muffler = + MPG & HP!!!???
PDXterra Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
After checking out the website, I can see how a very minimal gain might be possible. The goal is to increase airflow through the system. Hasn't K & N has been doing this for 45 years? Don't they make similar claims: MPG, torque, and HP? Last time I checked, K & N had a very good reputation for a product that does exactly what this one claims.

I don't see how people can be so convinced it doesn't work if they've never tried it. As far as I know we're all just going off opinions at this point, right? Are there any X owners out there that have this? Any unbiased data? Any before and after benchmarks?

#638022 - 09/03/04 05:08 PM Re: Aero-Turbine Muffler = + MPG & HP!!!???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does everyone feel better now? That was pretty fun.

#638023 - 09/03/04 05:40 PM Re: Aero-Turbine Muffler = + MPG & HP!!!???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bizarre........
Why such a big fight?

The scientists are right!

The second law of thermodynamics doesn't cease to apply........

The reason a supercharger works is because it forces air through the system. A K&N works because it decreases the amount resistance for the air going through, thereby increasing airflow. A performance exhaust system works because it allows increased airflow (more room).

A high-flow muffler on a stock exhaust will work to a certain extent.........

But this product does not do what it claims.

It probably just functions like a glass pack, which I can buy at Autozone for 20 bucks.

#638024 - 10/03/04 12:15 PM Re: Aero-Turbine Muffler = + MPG & HP!!!???
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Ugh, just when we thought this stupid thread was dead...

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#680785 - 16/12/13 10:02 PM Re: Aero-Turbine Muffler = + MPG & HP!!!??? [Re: Anonymous]
evilbone1 Offline

I know this thread is super old but... I bought The aero turbine for my 2004 v10 excursion, and all I can say is wow! I was getting 17-18 mpg on two seperate long distance trips at 70mph and I did get an increase of tq/hp. I don't know how much it went up but I could definitely feel the difference. I also liked how quiet my truck idled, until I put the foot on the pedal, thats when the v10 purrrs like a pissed off lion! Definitely the real deal. I did add a new y-pipe after this as well, hell yeah, great improvements. I plan on adding this to my 2013 xterra S 4wd. To me, its all in the exhaust and gear ratio.

#680788 - 17/12/13 04:23 PM Re: Aero-Turbine Muffler = + MPG & HP!!!??? [Re: evilbone1]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: evilbone1
I know this thread is super old but... I bought The aero turbine for my 2004 v10 excursion, and all I can say is wow! I was getting 17-18 mpg on two seperate long distance trips at 70mph and I did get an increase of tq/hp. I don't know how much it went up but I could definitely feel the difference. I also liked how quiet my truck idled, until I put the foot on the pedal, thats when the v10 purrrs like a pissed off lion! Definitely the real deal. I did add a new y-pipe after this as well, hell yeah, great improvements. I plan on adding this to my 2013 xterra S 4wd. To me, its all in the exhaust and gear ratio.

You are misperceiving the performance change due to the aero crap.

Its a common issue, so don't feel bad. Many many people are fooled by their need to justify efforts, and therefore interpret sensory input in such a way as to reinforce what they need to feel.

I'm not sure what you mean by "it's" in your sentence regarding the exhaust and gear ratio.

As in if you are accurate, you don't need to take in any air, or, burn it, or have a way to transfer torque from the engine to the transmission, or from the transmission to the diffs...just have a good exhaust and gear ratio.

As I believe you do need those things too, we might disagree, or, we might agree if we both knew what you meant by "it's".

If by "it's" you meant something besides what it sounds like, perhaps something that is actually the case, sure, that's possible.

Or you're just spamming.

Etc.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal