2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#682790 - 24/06/15 11:06 AM Replacing Head Gasket
nelsonea Offline

Loc: Twin Cities, MN
Hello Hello!

I have a 2000 Nissan Xterra (v6 4wd), and my local Nissan dealer told me that it would cost about $3000 to replace it. I have done a decent amount of work on my X already, so my father and I thought we would attempt to replace it ourselves. We have the FSM manual, but still are lacking a bit of confidence.

Has anyone successfully replaced their head gasket themselves? Would you be willing to try to walk through the steps you took to get the heads off? Are there any tips or tricks to making the process go a bit smoother?

Thanks so much!

#682792 - 27/06/15 01:08 AM Re: Replacing Head Gasket [Re: nelsonea]
sprice0789 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I had to rebuild the heads on my 2000 a few years ago due to a broken timing belt bending a couple valves, it is a bit of a chore but with the help of the manual you should have no problems i also set up an account on autozones website just for the vehicle repair guides they pretty much walk you through the whole process and its free! i have a chilton manual but the internet is so much faster lol. the bolt tightening sequence is tedious but other than that its pretty straight forward and i would def recommend replacing timing belt and tension-er , water pump, and thermostat while your in there as well as double and triple check that you have the timing belt on correctly that made me super nervous because if you do not have it on correctly you can ruin your motor!

Edited by sprice0789 (27/06/15 01:45 AM)

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal