shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46112 - 09/05/05 05:03 PM 2002 xterra plastic piece inside hub
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,

Situation:

I have a 2002 Xterra and it has auto hubs. Recently I took it to Sears to have a wheel alignment. Come to find out that when the hubs were opened up they found that the previous mechanic that did my brake job had cracked both of the plastic pieces that are just in side the hub. I've seen install procedures that refer to this pieces as the "fixed cam assembly". The problem is that when I call the dealer they don't know what I'm talking about. The guy at sears was able to get the right side back on even though it was cracked. However the left side plastic piece broke and he had to put it on without the plastic.

Question 1:

Does anyone here know the part number for the "fixed cam assembly"? Honestly all I need is the plastic pieces but I will buy what I need if I have to buy the whole assembly.

Question 2:

What does this plastic piece do? Can the 4WD work without it? I choose not to try and use it until I find out for sure.

Question 3:

When I do finally get the part... can I just open the hub while the wheel is on the car to replace it or do I need to pull the wheel?

Thank you in advance,

--Mike

#46113 - 09/05/05 05:06 PM Re: 2002 xterra plastic piece inside hub
Anonymous
Unregistered

One more thing please. Do you know how much this fixed cam assembly is going to run me?

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.

#46114 - 11/06/05 03:01 PM Re: 2002 xterra plastic piece inside hub
OnlyOneDR Offline

I can't believe no one answered this guy's questions. I just saw this thread:

1. The Fixed Cam Assembly is not sold seperate from the auto hub. The hub P/N is 40260-9Z500. Alternative is to post up on the For Sale/Wanted for a pair of hubs, lots of people have ditched the autos and gone to manual hubs.

2. The Fixed Cam Assembly is the part resposible for the engagement and disengagement of the dog-clutch inside the hub body. When torque from the CV shaft is applied, the cam pushes the dog clutch together to engage the wheel to the CV shaft. Do not use 4wd without this part.

3. You do not need to remove the wheel/tire to work on the hubs.

And your last question: Depends. The dealer is not cheap, try and get one used from this board or www.car-part.com

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#46115 - 12/06/05 05:41 PM Re: 2002 xterra plastic piece inside hub
Anonymous
Unregistered

dsm,
i just went thru the same process as you, both assemblies were busted upon removal. the mechanic that previously worked on your X probably had nothing to do with the breakage as mine broke as soon as they were slid off the spindle. buy manual hubs. why nissan makes these parts from plastic is beyond me but you can find Warn or Milemarker hubs at most 4 wheel parts places online. they sell for about 150 bucks and they are easy to install. the dealer wants $200 each side for the whole hub assembly because they don't sell the fixed cam assembly seperate. plus i wouldn't want to buy a part that will break in another 4 years. hope this helps although i'm assuming you've probably fixed your rig by now smile

#46116 - 10/01/08 04:50 AM Re: 2002 xterra plastic piece inside hub
IronMike Offline

Loc: Tampa, Florida
I was able to purchase the fixed cam assembly from AutoWay Nissan in Largo, Florida. They cost me $87.00 each. I wish I had read this forum beforehand. I would had gone with manual hubs.

I experienced the same situation when replacing the brake rotor. I pulled the hub covers and the fix cam ass plastic cage was broken. A design flaw in my book.

I have the part # at home. If anyone needs it I will post it.

#46117 - 10/01/08 05:27 AM Re: 2002 xterra plastic piece inside hub
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
FYI, the photo above shows the WRONG way to remove the hub internals. Removing half the cam assembly as shown above before removing the snap ring guarantees that you will have at the very least a ROYAL HELL of a time putting the fixed cam assembly back together and a strong chance that the plastic piece will be broken as you struggle with it. The snap ring should be removed first, and the entire assembly will come off in one piece.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#682864 - 25/07/15 10:39 AM Re: 2002 xterra plastic piece inside hub [Re: OffroadX]
GDay 85208 Offline

Loc: Mesa AZ
Good Morning Folks. My plastic rings also split out and the dealer only lists the full hub assembly for $244.00. 2002 Xterra 4x4 w/189k and going strong. Should I just try and search the local parts yards for this or does anyone know a parts site that would have it. I've tried the ones listed by previous posts on this forum but have had no luck. Mechanic says it's ok to run with split piece as long as I don't engage 4x4.
Any help will be really appreciated. Missing my offroading already.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal