shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#682917 - 12/09/15 04:48 PM 2000 Xterra problem. Heavy misfire/ECM problem
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
My Xterra has been a great vehicle since I bought it in 2000. Just recently having a few problems with it which I guess should be expected with 15 yrs and 122,000 miles now.

While diving the other day, after about 20 miles, it started misfiring hard. Pulled over, checked all the simple plug wires and connections and limped it back towards home. It slowed more and more then eventually it said no more and cut off. After letting it set for a little less than an hour, it started up and ran great. Next day it ran fine. The flowing day it ran great for a while, then started missing again and on the way home it died and would not restart. I called a tow truck and when they got there, it started right up and drove into the flatbed.

My mechanic was able to replicate the problem and did some diagnosing and originally said they were not getting much of a signal from the crank position sensor and that was where they needed to start ($280). After they replaced that, they said it didn't fix it and they have traced the problem back to the ECM where it was not sending a signal to fire. So they are saying I need a new ECM.

So they said if I could get one, they would install it, or they could get one (already flashed) for probably about $400.

I see some ECM units listed on ebay for around $100 with 60 day warranty, and dealer said that they would charge $95 to flash it. What do you guys think about the situation? Does the unit need to be in the xterra to be flashed (which would require a tow) or can I just bring them the ECM and the VIN (and $95) and they can flash it?

Should I ebay it?

Edited to add:
No check engine light, no codes. 3.3, automatic, 4x4.
Are all 2000 xterras using the same computer or do I need to find a specific one?

Edited by Lightning (12/09/15 05:15 PM)

#682918 - 14/09/15 02:18 PM Re: 2000 Xterra problem. Heavy misfire/ECM problem [Re: Lightning]
Lightning Offline

Damn I miss the old days if this place...

#682919 - 22/09/15 09:25 AM Re: 2000 Xterra problem. Heavy misfire/ECM problem [Re: Lightning]
Lightning Offline

FWI- After a new crankshaft sensor and then a new (used) ECM, it was a bad distributor. Mechanic said there were slivers of metal coming out when he pulled the distibutor. $670 and seems to be running good again.

#682923 - 17/10/15 09:58 PM Re: 2000 Xterra problem. Heavy misfire/ECM problem [Re: Lightning]
cyanemi Offline

Mine has some similar problems and I did not receive any response but at least I have a starting point.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal