shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#71990 - 12/01/03 07:25 AM ** CALMINI BUMPER PROBLEMS **
EMT_Diver Offline

Loc: USA
I just received and installed my Calmini rear bumper and tire carrier this weekend. Ok here's the low down, bumper is made to take abuse. However for $1,000 (bumper, springs and shipping) I was hoping to atleast get a 50 cent sticker or better yet a set of instructions. Granted 95% of it seemed to line up and make sense after looking it over a few times from different angles.

Most of the bolt holes had such a tight fit (on the bumper part itself) I had to be careful not to damage threads while lining things up. Not a bad thing in the whole scheme of life though ....however...

My big issue right now is that trailer hitches DO NOT FIT IN THE RECEIVER !!!!

I have the following items I use monthly in my receiver: Cargo Carrier, Warn Shackle, 2" ball set up for landscape trailer and a bike rack for the mtn bikes. The only thing that fits is the Warn shackle (which I've only used maybe 4 times)

I tried to get the trailer hitch to fit in but now way. Even a 3 pound mini sledge wouldn't work (figuring it was just the coating that was globbed in the opening or something)

I'm fearful to grind any real metal off the bumper because then it'll rust like eveything aelse and if I grind away from the hitch (ball and mount) I'm setting myself up for a trailer accident.

It was Saturday when I installed it and it's Sunday now so I have to wait till Monday to call Cali to gripe , but has anyone else had this issue or does nobody actually use the trailer hitch? Also did yours ihclude 3rd brake light and license plate lights? I paid for and received the extra pices for the 3rd brake light but no lights and I can't find a trailer shop or RV place that makes/sells/carriers a light that fits either. So now what?

I've seen pics of X's w/ the lights on the rear bumper so something must work....pls help.

confused

#71991 - 12/01/03 08:36 AM Re: ** CALMINI BUMPER PROBLEMS **
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
I had the same tight fit problem you are describing. For me the answer was simple. I just took out my angle grinder and cleaned up the hitches that I use.

I believe the problem lies in the powdercoating. Once powdercoated the reciever in the bumper becomes a little on the small side making it a tight fit for some recievers.

The amount of material that was removed from the hitch was minimal.

#71992 - 12/01/03 08:45 AM Re: ** CALMINI BUMPER PROBLEMS **
EMT_Diver Offline

did you r package include lights? If not what did you use for a 3rd brake ligh and a license plate light?

Also does it appear that your bumper is (tire carrier) leaning outwards vs true vertical? Seems to me like it should be straighter. I'm going to have someone help me (oh Matt - what day where you coming over?) so I can loosen everything and try to adjust it a little.

thanks Carlton !!

#71993 - 12/01/03 09:54 AM Re: ** CALMINI BUMPER PROBLEMS **
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
You reuse one of the license plate lights from your old bumper.

If you got the mounting bracket for the high mount light you should have also got the light to go with it.

Rrdstarr had the same problem with tight fit issues on his with the mounting holes. I didn't agree with his solution but he put smaller bolts in. I would have run a drill through and then touched up the bumper...you can't see that part anyway.

We've never tried inserting a hitch into his bumper. MAybe should try that next weekend? Only problem I ever noted right away in that department is that some hitch inserts may be too long since the inside end of the receiver tube is blocked. I also see the tube collecting a lot of dirt in there if you offroad a lot. I would work with the inserts though if you need to make a size adjustment. The amount that you would need to remove won't be a problem. Just grind a very tiny bit of each side...maybe not even enough to get through the paint coat, and see if it fits. Also, check inside the tub for any paint runs or drips that might be blocking. Just take some sandpaper to them if there are. WOuldn't be all that unlikely inside the tube where it isn't really easy to paint.

I don't know about the leaning you mention. Could be an adjustment problem but everything should fit solid with no slop. The Xterra is notorious for having some sloppy tolerences so your mounting holes int eh frame could be a little off too. Before trying to make changes though, keep in mind that the back of the Xterra leans forward so it may just be an optical illusion for you that the bumper is leaning backwards.

#71994 - 12/01/03 04:05 PM Re: ** CALMINI BUMPER PROBLEMS **
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by emt_diver:
did you r package include lights? If not what did you use for a 3rd brake ligh and a license plate light?

Also does it appear that your bumper is (tire carrier) leaning outwards vs true vertical? Seems to me like it should be straighter. I'm going to have someone help me (oh Matt - what day where you coming over?) so I can loosen everything and try to adjust it a little.

thanks Carlton !!
I have the Calmini third brake light. For me I just used a rubber mallet to pount it into place. It does not move.

As for the leaning.. I would have to agree with the other observations from the other poster..

#71995 - 12/01/03 05:02 PM Re: ** CALMINI BUMPER PROBLEMS **
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
When I installed my rear bumper the bolts were a very tight fit too, due to the powder coating. Then I recieved the Skid Row frame reinforcements and had to install the bumper again! I never got a Calmini sticker either!!! Only thing I have poked in the reciever hitch is a shackle and it fit without a problem. I used my exsisting tail lamp lights with the Calmini bumper. I also have the third brake lamp and drilled a hole in the top of the cap and a hole at the base of the up right and pulled "my" wiring harness through it. Then sealed the holes with silicone for a water tight fit.

I can send pics if tha will help?

-Rick

-Rick

#71996 - 12/01/03 05:33 PM Re: ** CALMINI BUMPER PROBLEMS **
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I can probably come Wednesday night... or maybe Monday. Connor is sick, so maybe I'll get a repreive from baby sitting to go install the tires.

Matt

#71997 - 12/01/03 07:47 PM Re: ** CALMINI BUMPER PROBLEMS **
XterraDiver Offline

Loc: Monterey, CA
I've been thinking about doing some Calmini mods. This however does not impress me at all. While for now I am only interested in the front bumper, the engineers and QA's at Calmini need to do some better work. If I have to start grinding to make a trailer fit a receiver, that would be a real problem if it was a rental or friends trailer. "Bolt on" should mean just that. And a standard receiver hitch should be just that - standard!

#71998 - 12/01/03 08:14 PM Re: ** CALMINI BUMPER PROBLEMS **
Miikkaa Offline

Loc: Central New Jersey, United Sta...
Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:
I believe the problem lies in the powdercoating. Once powdercoated the reciever in the bumper becomes a little on the small side making it a tight fit for some recievers.
No doubt. Powdercoating, although extremely durable, results in a slightly thicker finish. I airbrush for a living and have learned some knowledge on powdercoat. Powdercoat is initially applied to the surface in a powder form , hence the name, under an electrostatic charge. Since the powder clings to everything "charged' not unlike hair to a balloon rubbed on your head it will find it's way everywhere unless the phantom part is blanked or masked off somehow before it is baked for curing.

Michael AKA Miikkaa

Earth people suck.

#71999 - 12/01/03 08:15 PM Re: ** CALMINI BUMPER PROBLEMS **
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by XterraDiver:
And a standard receiver hitch should be just that - standard!
When I had my Nissan OEM factory reciever there were still hitchs that would be difficult to put in and required "modification".

#72000 - 12/01/03 10:31 PM Re: ** CALMINI BUMPER PROBLEMS **
bigassphil Offline

I have the Calmini front bumper and it looks great. I get lots of compliments on it. I had to modify the bumper to get it to fit. Not Calmini's fault, Nissan is a little sloppy with their specs. I had to drill a hole out bigger to get it to fit. I live 10 minutes from Calmini and the guys there are totally cool. I know that they were recently out of stickers but I know for sure that if you call them they would be more than glad to have you run around with their name on your X. I always work with Chris and David at Calmini.

#72001 - 15/01/03 05:52 AM Re: ** CALMINI BUMPER PROBLEMS **
EMT_Diver Offline

OK - had another Xterra owner (an Calmini owner) look at my tire carrier and he had the same thoughts as me....."damn -that looks wrong"

OK - those w/ Calmini rear bumpers and tire carriers , can you please do me a favor and measure the distance between the back/inside (truckside) of the carrier vertical arm and the glass on the truck.

My tire looks like its leaning towards the road a lot !!! I'm going to try to loosen up the whole bumper and supports and try to adjust it but I don't think that will do much good since everything was so snug anyway.

Did I get a Monday bumper?

mad confused mad

for a grand this sucks.....

Although to be fair about this, the bumper is made very well and the welds are very professional. I'm not totally flaming Calmini , I'm just not real happy w/ the way this is sitting on the truck for the price.

#72002 - 15/01/03 06:19 AM Re: ** CALMINI BUMPER PROBLEMS **
Matt Peckham Offline

I suggest measuring from the rear wiper to the swingarm (at the closest point). I think that will answer the question of tolerances.

#72003 - 15/01/03 06:20 AM Re: ** CALMINI BUMPER PROBLEMS **
Carlton McMillan Offline

To really see if it is leaning.. get on a completely flat road (use a level) and then use that same level to see if you truck is angled... then use that same level to see what the bumper is doing.

Just a thought

#72004 - 15/01/03 06:21 AM Re: ** CALMINI BUMPER PROBLEMS **
Matt Peckham Offline

If you get snackles AAND AALs, it'll be straight again.... just the truck will be askew.

#72005 - 15/01/03 07:07 AM Re: ** CALMINI BUMPER PROBLEMS **
hattrik21 Offline

Loc: Lewisville, Texas
I know this is a minor issue but as for the sticker, I didn't get one when I got my idler arm brace but I did when I got my sliders. I just called them up and then sent me 1 of their large stickers and about 5 of the little ones. If you want one that bad, just call Steve up and I'm sure he'll send you a few.
www.TheNewX.org
It is in Men that we must place our hope.

#72006 - 24/06/03 01:18 PM Re: ** CALMINI BUMPER PROBLEMS **
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Not to beat a dead horse, but I finally got a hitch for the Calmini receiver and had problems getting one to fit. It seems that the hitches I could find were too square for the Calmini receiver. I had to grind quite a bit to round out the corners on the hitch. Once I did it slid right in. I don't think the powder coat was an issue at all.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal