2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#72212 - 01/01/01 03:44 PM Squashed Bumper / ARB
rubbus Offline

Loc: Waltham MA, USA
Well, for Christmas this year I got a caved-in front bumper courtesy of a guy backing an 18-wheeler into my parked X! I even had to chase him down the street to get him to stop!

The bumper seams are now way off on the "wing" parts of the bumper, the plastic grille is cracked in a couple of places, and the bumper appears flattened in the front- making it bow a bit.

Question is: would an ARB have survived this onslaught better? The guy hit my X hard enough to push it about 5 feet- though he wasn't going fast. Should I just replace the bumper with an ARB myself (if I decide to go that route) or have a shop do it for me? I'll have to replace the plastic grille also. What about "crumple zones"/air bag sensors in the bumper? Are these an issue?

TIA!

------------------
Yello '00 SE X standard, Yello Triumph Tiger motorcycle. MA.

#72213 - 01/01/01 04:02 PM Re: Squashed Bumper / ARB
wqbang Offline

Loc: Auburn, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by rubbus:
Well, for Christmas this year I got a caved-in front bumper courtesy of a guy backing an 18-wheeler into my parked X! I even had to chase him down the street to get him to stop!

The bumper seams are now way off on the "wing" parts of the bumper, the plastic grille is cracked in a couple of places, and the bumper appears flattened in the front- making it bow a bit.

Question is: would an ARB have survived this onslaught better? The guy hit my X hard enough to push it about 5 feet- though he wasn't going fast. Should I just replace the bumper with an ARB myself (if I decide to go that route) or have a shop do it for me? I'll have to replace the plastic grille also. What about "crumple zones"/air bag sensors in the bumper? Are these an issue?

TIA!

Many of these questions have been answered before in previous threads. The ARB would have probably held up better, but my question is, do you NEED and ARB? If you don't drive offroad (REAL offroad), the ARB is pointless and a waste IMHO.

#72214 - 01/01/01 04:37 PM Re: Squashed Bumper / ARB
rubbus Offline

Ah- ok- I'll look for those older threads. I was mainly wondering if the ARB would hold up better than stock- which you answered.

I do -some- off roading, and plan on getting into it a lot more as time and weather permits. I've joined the Blue Ribbon Coalition, and am really planning on doing more stuff off road, so maybe the ARB would be a good addition. OTOH the majority of my driving IS on road. But the ARB is really cool... Descisions descisions...

#72215 - 01/01/01 06:13 PM Re: Squashed Bumper / ARB
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Would it have held up better?? Without a doubt!!

The ARB is designed to handle the pressures of a winch, it is solid steel construction that is reinforced to the frame... Depending on the speed and angle of the assult you likely would have walked away with little more than a few scratches.

------------------
2000 Xterra White
4x4 3pack w/xtras smile
SWXC Member# 2
TMTC (Texas Motorized Trails Coalition)
Member # 653
KD5MQO
www.geocities.com/swxterraclub/SouthwesternXterraClub.html

#72216 - 01/01/01 06:47 PM Re: Squashed Bumper / ARB
PoorBoy Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX
Was lookin around on Ebay for Xterra stuff and found this grill.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=534910511&r=0&t=0

Sorry to hear about that
=\

Good Luck

PoorBoy
-----
2001 SE 4x2
Alpine Green
"Spooky"
http://poorboy.virtualave.net/Xterra/spooky.html

#72217 - 01/01/01 10:19 PM Re: Squashed Bumper / ARB
rubbus Offline

Thanks for the info on the e-bay grille!

#72218 - 02/01/01 06:30 AM Re: Squashed Bumper / ARB
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
If you or anyone else for that matter wants a stock bumper, you can have mine. you pay shipping and it is free otherwise. :-)

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)
Ashburn, VA, USA (suburb of Washington D.C.)
2000 Xterra SE, Alpine Green, Auto, 4x4, ARB, 32" BFG MTs
President: Mid-Atlantic Xterra Club
http://www.maxc.org/members/synchro.htm

#72219 - 02/01/01 08:11 AM Re: Squashed Bumper / ARB
gothamist Offline

Loc: Virginia
I'll second that offer, I too (along w/ about half of this board, it seems) have a stock bumper to offer up on the altar of spare parts. And mine's in a little bit better shape than Synchro's :-)

#72220 - 02/01/01 08:39 AM Re: Squashed Bumper / ARB
xterra2k Offline

Loc: Cin city, Oh.
Quote:
Originally posted by gothamist:
I'll second that offer, I too (along w/ about half of this board, it seems) have a stock bumper to offer up on the altar of spare parts. And mine's in a little bit better shape than Synchro's :-)

Believe it or not, I need the plastic air dam thingy that the fog lights are housed in. I mashed mine offroading (surprise) and can't afford my wish of an ARB, yet. But would like to replace the plastic piece.
Let me know what arrangements we need to do.
Thanks!

------------------
Lance
Silver XE 3 packages

#72221 - 02/01/01 08:42 AM Re: Squashed Bumper / ARB
rubbus Offline

Thanks for the offers guys! I'm going to get the damage appraised, and I might go for an ARB. But if I decide to just go stock I'll probably take one of you up on your generous offer.

This board is GREAT!

Thanks again,
-Rob

#72222 - 02/01/01 08:59 AM Re: Squashed Bumper / ARB
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
yes, mine is slightly damaged, i forgot to mention that, but it is free. if no one takes it off my hands by the end of this month, it is going in da garbage. tired of tripping over it inthe garage.

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)
Ashburn, VA, USA (suburb of Washington D.C.)
2000 Xterra SE, Alpine Green, Auto, 4x4, ARB, 32" BFG MTs
President: Mid-Atlantic Xterra Club
http://www.maxc.org/members/synchro.htm

#72223 - 02/01/01 11:06 AM Re: Squashed Bumper / ARB
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Kirk, if you decide to scrap it, I'll take the lower plastic before you do, provided xterra2k doesn't want it. I don't mind mine being trashed, but I figure at some point it will be destroyed before I go ARB.
Actually, if I get a chance to survey for any hidden damage from my encounter with that infamous tree, I might have a use for some of the mounting hardware/brackets. Lemme know before you dump it...

Thanks,
Brent

[This message has been edited by OffroadX (edited January 02, 2001).]

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#72224 - 02/01/01 01:42 PM Re: Squashed Bumper / ARB
xterra2k Offline

Loc: Cin city, Oh.
I'm working with Gothamist in getting his bumper so Brent, thanks for waiting on me, but feel free to get with Kirk's.
X owners are great. We do play well with others

------------------
Lance
Silver XE 3 packages

#72225 - 09/01/01 10:55 AM Re: Squashed Bumper / ARB
KCX Offline

Loc: Kansas
Does anyone else have a good stock bumper they want to sell?? I hit a deer yesterday and the only damage was the lower bumper, the plastic side corners, the fog lights are gone and the center steel bar that goes behind the lower bumper....Let me know ASAP!!! Thanks guys!!!!

#72226 - 09/01/01 11:09 AM Re: Squashed Bumper / ARB
OffroadX Offline

If you're interested in an ARB, now might be the time to see what your insurance company thinks of the damage. I don't think you can get the parts in question alone, so it may call for replacing the whole bumper (metal part too) in which case the same $ can buy you an ARB.

(Now is when Ian steps in and says this is how insurance rates go up.)

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#72227 - 09/01/01 10:27 PM Re: Squashed Bumper / ARB
KCX Offline

Loc: Kansas
Your right, I have been thinking all day and night whether replace to stock or ARB it! I think I will get the ARB because my deductable is $500 and they will likely rest my premium $20 bucks a month which will be $240 more a year for the next three years before it clears off my record! So if the ARB is around $630, then that should be the way to go since just the bumper was damaged.

Where can I get a ARB ASAP!!!!!

#72228 - 11/01/01 08:26 PM Re: Squashed Bumper / ARB
Mellow Yellow X Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL USA
Quote:
Originally posted by gothamist:

Does anyone have a rear bumper they don't want anymore? I got rearended last week and the bumper got bashed, not bad but the if I could get a new one that somebody doesn't want, that would be cool. My deductible is $500, so it all comes out of my pocket. Is there any discount car parts sites that I could check out new/used?

Thanks.

#72229 - 12/01/01 07:54 AM Re: Squashed Bumper / ARB
OffroadX Offline

Hmm, I think Kirk/Synchro might just have a stock rear bumper he doesn't need anymore
He just got a custom rear bumper made.

Brent

#72230 - 12/01/01 09:46 AM Re: Squashed Bumper / ARB
Mustard Custard Offline

Loc: Worldwide
I'll have the center section of the rear bumper available after Monday (Jan 15th)when I have my Rear Tire Carrier put on at Kennesaw Mountain Accesories. I live in Augusta, GA if you're willing to take a ride to get it. It probably wouldn't be too cost-effective to ship it. What do you think it's worth?

[This message has been edited by Mustard Custard (edited January 12, 2001).]
KMA Tire Carrier

#72231 - 13/02/01 09:28 AM Re: Squashed Bumper / ARB
rubbus Offline

Well, after two months and 3 damage estimates I finally got the $$ from the moving company that squashed in my front bumper.

Now I just need the weather to warm up so I can order an ARB and install that bad-boy!!

-Rubbus

p.s. I don't wanna hear anything about "rainsing the costs of insurance" bblah blah blah. The damage is real, and I'd have to replace my bumper with a stock one anyway- so why not replace it with a bumper that will survive minor impacts in the future and >save< the insurance companies $$.

------------------
Yellow '00 SE X "Mojo" standard, Yellow Triumph Tiger motorcycle. Waltham MA.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal