shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#720 - 10/09/05 09:23 PM Buying a used X or Pathy...question....
Anonymous
Unregistered

My wife and I gotta replace our 94 Pathy.
We are trying to decide between a 2001 pathy or 1st gen X.

We'd go with a first gen X (probably 2002-2003), but I'm leary of the VG series engines' manifold issues. Been there/done that so much with the 94 Pathy I just don't wanna deal with it any more. I've read the manifold threads here and is sounds like there's a good chance I'd be faced with that if I buy an X with say 40,000 miles and plan on keeping it 'till 100,000.

So - my question is - If I buy a used X from a nissan dealer (the same one I bought my 05 X from - I've got a good relationship with them) would it be unreasonable to negotiate a price, and then say as a condition of sale that I want the manifolds and manifold studs warranteed for parts and labor as long as I own the truck? I'm not a big fan of paying for service warrantees, and my only real concern is spending $$ on manifold repairs given the VG engine's history. I'm not knocking the engine by the way - no engine is perfect. Other than the manifold issues that engine was perfect in my 94 pathy.

One main reason I'm considering the 2001 pathy is that it's got the VQ engine. By the way, yes, I realize the 2001 pathy's are completely different than the older pathy's and X's (unibody vs body on frame, etc)

#721 - 10/09/05 09:32 PM Re: Buying a used X or Pathy...question....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh yeah - the obvious - I'd love to by a second 05 X, but can't quite swing it. I was not planning on, or financially prepared to buy 2 new vehicles this year! Oh well!

#722 - 11/09/05 07:34 AM Re: Buying a used X or Pathy...question....
OnlyOneDR Offline

Pathy VQs take premium fuel, but have more power and get slightly better mileage. R50 Pathfinders ride pretty smooth with coils all around so if you do a lot of street driving consider that.

If you have intentions of putting much larger tires than stock on whatever you get, the X might be the better bet, as it takes a bit more custom modification and ingenuity to get larger than 32s on an R50.

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#723 - 11/09/05 02:33 PM Re: Buying a used X or Pathy...question....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the heads up on premium fuel for the Pathy's, OnlyOneDR. I hadn't caught that! Just downloaded the owners manual and you are absolutely correct.
That's probably a strike against the pathy. I gotta do some "milage math" to figure that out...

I wont be putting larger tires on, so that's not an issue. Won't be doing any real off-roading with it - just need something with good ground clearance to make it up my weird driveway, and something that can fit all of our crap. Our 05 X tows our boat, so honestly we don't NEED another truck based SUV, but so far the X and the 2001 pathy are the only thing my wife and I can agree on. Actually, my wife hasn't driven an 01 pathy yet. She prefers trucks so that might drop off the list if she finds it's ride is more car-ish. We'll find out tomorrow...

Would still like opinions if asking for warrantee on manifolds for a used X is realistic...

#724 - 11/09/05 02:39 PM Re: Buying a used X or Pathy...question....
shiner Offline

Loc: tx
i'm at 91,000 miles on my non s/c '02 X and have had no manifold problems. not sure if it matters, but skipped the 60k service (will get 90k service in next couple of weeks). know several other people with similar mileage with no manifold problems.

#725 - 11/09/05 02:43 PM Re: Buying a used X or Pathy...question....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Shiner. We tend to hear from lots of people with manifold issues on the VG's, but it's hard to to tell exactly how frequent they are since most people who DON'T have problems probably never mention it.

#726 - 11/09/05 07:16 PM Re: Buying a used X or Pathy...question....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ditto 02 se/sc and no manifold problem. 93,000 miles

#727 - 11/09/05 09:18 PM Re: Buying a used X or Pathy...question....
Anonymous
Unregistered

I found a 2003 SE 4WD/AT Xterra w/ 31,400 miles on it - $16505.
It's on the website of a nearby dealership, color is not specified.

This seems to me, and based on Edmunds and other used X asking prices in the area, to be a pretty good price (assuming it's fully reconditioned and no problems). I'm assuming I'd be able to talk 'em down a little too.

I got a 30 day unlimited CarFax subscription, and it's VIN came up clean. hmmm - my old Sebring, which I was in a major accident (reported) with 2 years ago, also came up clean though [Huh?] .

What do ya'll think - does that look like a good deal?

#728 - 12/09/05 12:33 PM Re: Buying a used X or Pathy...question....
Anonymous
Unregistered

05 X:

I just bought my 02 X from quirk Nissan in Quincy. Got it with brush guard, tail light guards, heavy duty floor mats and rubber cargo mat with dividers, new michalin tires, 64,000 miles 5 speed extended warrenty to 100,000 miles for just over under 14000. It is the cleanest used vechicle I have ever bought.

#729 - 12/09/05 01:01 PM Re: Buying a used X or Pathy...question....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, it's all done.
Just bought a 2001 Xterra SE, 4wd, Auto, Khaki color, not quite 40,000 miles. Paid 13,700 after my (worthless) trade (the 94 pathy with failing rotted frame).
So, offically 14,700 less 1000 trade = 13,700

Wont get to pick it up for a couple of days. Hopefully the Pathy will stay in one peice (literally) that long.

There's still 12 months/20000 miles left on drivetrain/engine warrantee so I've got some manifold coverage.

This thing looks right off the show room floor.
Oh yeah - and I know of the people who use to own it - I'd see it parked near the gas station I fill up at frequently.

Standog - yours sounds sweet, too! I've heard good things about Quirk but they're a little far away from me.

[EDIT - last minute change. Didn't get the 2001. Ended up getting a Molten Lava 2003

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal