shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#74546 - 06/11/05 09:51 PM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
Anonymous
Unregistered

05_X: hey there north-shore neighbor! [Wave]

Quote:
Originally posted by 05_X:
Regarding $130 vs $122 vs $124.95:
Come on guys! At $130 it's still an excellant value.
right you are, of course ... there's no disputing the value, just wanted to manage people's expectations. smile

Quote:
Originally posted by 05_X:
I'd be very interested in seeing what you come up with.
i'll post again when i figure out what i'm doing about the faceplate -- have to see how easy it is to take apart, first.

#74547 - 07/11/05 06:18 AM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for this awesome find adrian!
I've got one in the mail, ordered it within 5 minutes of reading this post. [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp]

#74548 - 07/11/05 10:43 AM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Yea, I finally ordered mine today!!! smile

#74549 - 22/11/05 08:25 PM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
dezurtrat Offline

Well my new ScanGauge Tool made it! I'll let ‘ya know how it works out after my trip up to the Grand Canyon but here is my initial review.

It was so simple to use the manual was almost not needed. Come on, I figured it out and I'm an Engineer so how hard could it be??? laugh

Of course it picked up one of the knock sensor codes, P038. There was a real shock.

Pretty nice as it will pull the codes and reset them for 'ya. Being a less expensive generic unit that works on most vehicles with OBDII, it only gives 'ya the code and not a description of it!

It also gives 'ya some real time data: RPM, MPH, Voltage, IAT, Water Temp, TPS, Timing, Fuel Pressure (N/A on X), MAP (N/A on X), Engine Load, and Open/Closed Loop. It also lets you choose the data in liters, Kilometers, and °C if you like.

It also has a feature to set up what kind of fuel you use such as Diesel a, Diesel b, LPG, or Gas and to add Fuel tank capacity. You can then use it as a Trip Computer giving various data such as Max Speed, Max Coolant Temp, Max Engine RPM, Avg Fuel Economy, Trip Fuel used, Trip Distance, and Trip Elapsed Time.

It also has a feature which I haven't figured out how to use yet because of course I didn't read the manual but it allows you to compensate for different size tires for your MPH and such data! hmmmm, we'll see about that...

It definitely does not give you the feel of something that would take the abuse of something you would use professionally in the shop everyday. It probably wouldn't take being dropped as most professional code readers can be with their rubber cases.

I also tried it on an Isuzu Rodeo. It read the MAP data. I didn’t realize the Xterra didn’t have a map sensor! Yes/No? It is nice in that you can use it on virtually any OBDII vehicle but it seems as though it would be better off mounted semi permanently in one vehicle! Oh well, time will tell and I'll keep 'ya posted.

Here are a few pics. Sorry they don't give you a real feel for how big it is but it's really smaller than I thought!

Oh yea, in the bottom pic I had been idling in my garage for a while and thus what I assume was a rather high IAT of 128 deg F. While I was driving it went down in the low 80s.

It also has a cool Orange Backlight that works well at night and can be turned on high, low, or off. You can also adjust the contrast!

It also allows the user I believe 10 programmable settings! You could also set it up to let’s say, see the max speed your son was driving the night before!! Now there is a feature I'm glad my parents didn't have! laugh

#74550 - 22/11/05 09:21 PM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
Anonymous
Unregistered

You used it on a Rodeo? Did it return the code "POS"?
(sorry couldn't resist)

One other thing to add:
You can change the default gage update rate to FAST and it works fine on both generations of X's (at least it does on my 03 and 05), according the manual some vehicles can't handle the faster rate.

to change update rate:
More>More>Rate - default is Normal, change to Fast. It increases the refesh inteval.

#74551 - 22/11/05 09:37 PM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dezurtrat,

When you were driving and FIA was 80, do you know how close that was to actual outside air temp?

Been meaning to compare with mine, but keep forgetting. Theoretically is should be pretty close to outside temp when driving, right? My 05 doesn't have that feature on the e-mirrow, would be cool if this thing provided it.

However, if you don't wanna talk to me after I dis'd the Rodeo, I understand. wink

#74552 - 22/11/05 09:37 PM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
dezurtrat Offline

hehe...LOL..actually is read: BIG POS!!!!

Thanks for the eXtra information! I hadn't gotten that far but I'll try it tomorrow!

#74553 - 23/11/05 10:14 AM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I know what is going on my Christmas list smile

#74554 - 23/11/05 10:28 AM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
dezurtrat Offline

05_X, I did not know that actual temp but I believe it was somewhere between 70 & 80 as a guess! I have an actual Compass I installed that get's me pretty close to the outside temp and I'll compare 'em and get back to 'ya!

Mike

#74555 - 23/11/05 01:17 PM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
Anonymous
Unregistered

Outside temp was 31F at my house, Scan gauge showed 37 when I got on the highway. Later in day 33F at work, scan gauge showed 39F on highway. Of couse when you slow down it heats up under the hood pretty quick.
Dezurt - Will be interesting to see if you get about the same 6 degree diff in the warmer climate.

I realize the air intake temp isn't designed to be an accurate "outdoor thermometer" - just playin' around with the new toy!

I'll probably move the scan gauge back to the 03 next week (now that's a big job haha!). I actually have the outside temp in the mirror on that X.

Here's an intesting trend - when my wife drives, she tends to get 19-20 mpg. I tend to get 17-18mpg. It must be 'cause I weigh more, couldn't be the driving habits - right?!
wink

#74556 - 23/11/05 06:12 PM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
I've had a ScanGauge installed on my truck for a couple of months and it's been awesome to use. Once I dialed in the correction factors for tire size and FILLUP accuracy, I've found it to be consistently accurate in calculating TANK fuel economy.

One thing that I've noticed after using the ScanGauge for coolant temp is that the coolant temp reading fluctuates under "normal" conditions quite a bit (from about 184°F to 204°F) while the coolant gauge needle on the dash doesn't move at all!

It makes me wonder if the gauge on the dash has a flat-spot in its response to indicate "normal" so people don't freak out when they see the gauge moving up and down all the time.

In "gauge" mode I usually monitor VOLTS, TEMP, MPG, and LOD (or occasionally TPS). It's neat to watch how MPG changes as LOD changes.

On my Pathy, MAP is supported so I can see how much the MAP changes at different elevations. For example, at sea level the MAP is 14.7, but on a recent trip into the mountains, it got down to about 10.5! (MAP=manifold air pressure; if the engine is off, the MAP=ambient air pressure)

#74557 - 25/11/05 01:42 PM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice setup XPLORx4!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by XPLORx4:

One thing that I've noticed after using the ScanGauge for coolant temp is that the coolant temp reading fluctuates under "normal" conditions quite a bit (from about 184°F to 204°F) while the coolant gauge needle on the dash doesn't move at all!

It makes me wonder if the gauge on the dash has a flat-spot in its response to indicate "normal" so people don't freak out when they see the gauge moving up and down all the time.
I noticed that too and was thinking the same thing.

#74558 - 26/11/05 07:09 AM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
dezurtrat Offline

Well here is my informal data from the IAT sensor from ScanGauge compared to my Wayfinder Compass/Temperature Gauge.

In town during the day:
ScanGauge = 87 deg F Wayfinder = 79 deg F

On the highway during the day
ScanGauge = 77 deg F Wayfinder = 74 deg F

During Night at Grand Canyon
ScanGauge = 44 deg F Wayfinder = 42 deg F

Early Morning at the Grand Canyon
ScanGauge = 22 deg F Wayfinder = 23 deg F

Of course, the colder it was the better they seemed to correlate which seems to make sense. And there was no correlation sitting at idle as the IAT temp always was much higher!

#74559 - 27/11/05 09:31 PM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
dezurtrat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Muzikman:
Well, I know what is going on my Christmas list smile
I highly recommend it!! [ThumbsUp]

#74560 - 29/11/05 09:39 AM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
Anonymous
Unregistered

This thing is amazing! I have been jealous of the '05 owners with their cool little trip-computers, but now it looks like any one can do this. But fine, I'll bite. Where is the OBD2 port/thinger on, say, a 2004 X?

#74561 - 29/11/05 10:10 AM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
Anonymous
Unregistered

On my 03, it's under the dash just to the left of the steering wheel (between steering wheel and e-brake release). On the 05 it's just to the right of of the steering wheel.

Look for a white retangular connector - can't miss it.

#74562 - 29/11/05 10:19 AM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do you have to take any parts of the dash off or anything, or is it just something that is meant to have the cover taken off? Easy access? Or lots of of tearing apart?

#74563 - 29/11/05 10:31 AM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
Anonymous
Unregistered

you don't have to remove anything - it's meant for easy access. Just look under your dash, probably to the left of your steering column (like the 03) and it should be right there.

#74564 - 29/11/05 11:15 AM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ah sounds nice... OK now here's another question. One of the things the documentation says it can do is:

"Make and store up to 10 rewritable special codes
to send to the vehicle computer"

Why would I want to do this? I don't want to send my X's computer the Self-Destruct code ("Execute Order #66." "It will be done, my lord."). I even read about it in the manual and I can't figure out what it's for... someone hook me up here?

#74565 - 29/11/05 06:59 PM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
dezurtrat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by CDDiG:
Ah sounds nice... OK now here's another question. One of the things the documentation says it can do is:

"Make and store up to 10 rewritable special codes
to send to the vehicle computer"

Why would I want to do this? I don't want to send my X's computer the Self-Destruct code ("Execute Order #66." "It will be done, my lord."). I even read about it in the manual and I can't figure out what it's for... someone hook me up here?
Good question and I myself have no idea what you could send it. I'm sure reading the OBDII specification through would give you some indication of the proper codes you could send. I'll email ScanGauge and ask 'em for an example!

#74566 - 30/11/05 08:59 PM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
Anonymous
Unregistered

I basically have to convince someone that this will not have any adverse effects on the X or the X's computer. Besides intentionally clearing out Service codes, is there anything bad you could do with this to your truck?

#74567 - 01/12/05 05:17 AM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
Anonymous
Unregistered

To clear codes, you have to navigate through some menus and specifically tell it to clear codes.

As far as that other thing: sending commands- same thing - you gotta navigate through some menus and put some effort in. (I'm not sure why you'd wanna do that anyway - will be interesting to hear what DesurtRat finds...)

Neither of those could really be done by accident.
Other than that, all it's functions are just READING information, so I don't see how it could do anything detrimental.

#74568 - 01/12/05 06:03 PM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Clearing DTC codes with the Scan Gauge doesn't require navigating through a deep menu system. It's quite easy to see if there are any DTCs, and not much more difficult to reset them, especially if the MIL (check engine light) is on.

As for the special "commands" you can send to the computer, it does require navigating to some deep menu options, and it actually would be quite hard for the non-computer-geek-type-person to send commands anyway.

See info here about sending commands on the Scan-Gauge web site.

#74569 - 01/12/05 07:02 PM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
dezurtrat Offline

Thanks for the info!

#74570 - 13/12/05 07:59 PM Re: ScanGauge Automotive Computer $130
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the link XPLORx4,

I hadn't looked into sending any codes yet.

BTW..I'm glad to see that you all like these things and don't hate me for recomending them. It took me a while to get mine adjusted correctly, but now it's extremely accurate. I was within .1 gallons on my last two fill-ups. How about you guys?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal