2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76041 - 11/11/02 02:26 PM Putting a small snow plow on a Xterra?
Zorro19s Offline

Loc: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Is it a good idea to put a small plow on a Xterra just to plow my dads business since very cost efficent. I know it puts lots of force on the frame and what I hear the Xterra frame isin't reinforced. Anyways has anyone ever done it?

#76042 - 11/11/02 02:59 PM Re: Putting a small snow plow on a Xterra?
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
Didn't you just haul 11,000 lbs of stuff for your dad - that just cost you a new Cat-converter and a possible voiding of your warranty?

You sure did turn your Xterra into a workhorse. Maybe you should have bought a Ford F-150 or something.

to answer your question, I don't know what sort of stresses a snowplow would cause on the XTerra. I would love to see pics of the mods and fabrication you would go thru to mount such a thing though. Remember to post pics if you go thru with it.

#76043 - 11/11/02 03:19 PM Re: Putting a small snow plow on a Xterra?
Zorro19s Offline

The Xterra was ment to be a work horse. It already has 49000km in less then a year. I just check out a snow plow kit for the Xterra at Costco that is only $1200Cdn with mounting kit and everything else.

PS I would never allow my dad to buy the xterra if we would treat it as a regular car. Most SUVs come with a garage opener, the Xterra comes with a first aid kit that I already used few times. And I'm getting rims and snow tires ASAP since winter is just around the corner. Next year we will probably get a Diesel 3 1/2 tonne truck to give the xterra a break. Then it will slowly become a full offroad toy with lift and lockers.

#76044 - 11/11/02 03:48 PM Re: Putting a small snow plow on a Xterra?
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Zorro19s:
I just check out a snow plow kit for the Xterra at Costco that is only $1200Cdn with mounting kit and everything else.

Interesting. I wonder how they fit the mounting onto the plastic bumper? How does it fit to the frame? If you go thru with it, post alot of pics. I am curious how this is done and how effective it is.

#76045 - 11/11/02 04:16 PM Re: Putting a small snow plow on a Xterra?
Zorro19s Offline

Sure, but I'm not sure if I'm going to go with it. Its something that tomorrow we will check out. My biggest problem is finding rims for the winter tires for the xterra. Well find rims for a good price that is.

#76046 - 11/11/02 05:35 PM Re: Putting a small snow plow on a Xterra?
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Talk to OffroadX in the Buy and Sell forum. Looks like he has some cheap rims for sale!

#76047 - 11/11/02 06:04 PM Re: Putting a small snow plow on a Xterra?
Zorro19s Offline

I checked but unfortunetly I'm looking for 16" since I got a good deal on 265/70 16" winter tires. Going to 15" would actualy cost me more in this case. Thanx anyways

#76048 - 12/11/02 05:19 PM Re: Putting a small snow plow on a Xterra?
Zorro19s Offline

The snowplow I'm considering is at www.snowbear.com. The mounts on the website say it fits 99-01 but the same kit number is for the frontier 98-01 and the 01 have a similar front as the newer Xterras 02-03. I'm emailed the customer service and I'm waiting for a response to make sure they fit. By the way there is a picture of the frontier with the plow. What do you guys think?

#76049 - 13/11/02 05:44 AM Re: Putting a small snow plow on a Xterra?
liv Offline

Loc: Hull, Quebec
Hey Zorro19s,
if you want some cheap rims,
most Nissan dealers currently have "take offs" for sale.

I spoke to my dealer ( here in Hull, Qc ) and he has plenty. He also told me that most dealers should carry them. They run from 55$ to ~70$ each.

I bought 4 a couple of weeks ago. 57$cdn. each. Plus some Toyo Observe GP4 265/70r15 tires. The price of the tires was ~640$cdn. installed/balanced and tax included.

If you decide to get the kit... plz post some pics. I was thinking of doing the same thing, But I was told that its hard on the front suspension.

liv

#76050 - 13/11/02 05:36 PM Re: Putting a small snow plow on a Xterra?
Zorro19s Offline

Liv, can you check if they have any 16" since I go to Quebec all the time for business. Let me know cause i have a feeling that winter is just around the corner.

PS I got mounts diagram from www.snowbear.com and it looks very simple to install. I think if I just remove the lower plastic bumber lip it should be fine.

#76051 - 14/11/02 12:56 PM Re: Putting a small snow plow on a Xterra?
broncox Offline

Loc: chicago
PS I would never allow my dad to buy the xterra if we would treat it as a regular car. Most SUVs come with a garage opener, the Xterra comes with a first aid kit that I already used few times. And I'm getting rims and snow tires ASAP since winter is just around the corner. Next year we will probably get a Diesel 3 1/2 tonne truck to give the xterra a break. Then it will slowly become a full offroad toy with lift and lockers.

From a business point of view why would you spend $1200.00 on a plow if your going to buy a different truck next year? A truck that will require a different kit and a larger plow? if it snows enough to plow 10 times thats $120.00 for each time you plow. Not to mention up grading the front end to support the weight of the plow. If it's not included in the kit. Couldn't you hire a service to plow for you, for one season for less than that? Maybe you should trade the X since it towed 11000 lbs already voiding the warranty. Trade it in for a super duty with a plow package. Then the truck, plow, hardware, etc. are all under warranty for three years.
[Wave]

#76052 - 14/11/02 02:13 PM Re: Putting a small snow plow on a Xterra?
Zorro19s Offline

Well I'm not sure if I'm still going to go with it. Its only something that I'm considering cause the snowplow business in this area charge a fortune much more then 1200cdn a season. The way the business has expanded we didn't predict we would move to a bigger facilaty and need a full size truck. So for now we have to live with the Xterra and use it untill we can afford a fullsize truck which should be in sprint unless we move yet to another bigger place. Furthermore the snowplow that I was considering is for a lightweight truck and does not need any front suspention mods.

#76053 - 14/11/02 02:34 PM Re: Putting a small snow plow on a Xterra?
Zorro19s Offline

Just to let you guys know that I replaced the drivetrain fuilds to full sythetic. That includes LSD dif, tranny, always used synthetic engine oil to help with the added work load. If I deside to buy it and next year get a fullsize 4X4 I can sell it cause the same kit fits pathfinders, frontiers and older xterras. I'm sure some else would be interested in it.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal