2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#766 - 04/09/07 08:01 PM 4 Anyone who has never driven an '05+
Anonymous
Unregistered

This past week, my wife and I flew to Seattle and rented an '07 Xterra to drive through British Columbia on our trip to Jasper National Park in Alberta. I hope to add pictures later. The looks of the '05/present are starting to grow on me however everything that I have heard about the current truck is true. The truck accelerated so effortlessly and tacked about 600 rmp lower than my '03. Even stop and go traffic in downtown Seattle still netted over 20 mpg, and on the highway it avg. over 22. The additional horsepower and 5th gear really made a believer out of me. That 4.0 is geared just right, it feels stronger than 261 horse. And inside the truck is much more roomier. The door cup holders were a nice touch. I still enjoy my '03, however I would really like to add a next-gen to the fleet.

#767 - 05/09/07 07:48 AM Re: 4 Anyone who has never driven an '05+
Anonymous
Unregistered

If they'd just put some axles under the things that would hold up to reasonable off road use.....

#768 - 05/09/07 08:19 AM Re: 4 Anyone who has never driven an '05+
Anonymous
Unregistered

I finally went and drove one this summer. `07 Off Road. I took it out for a nice drive freeway/around town/bumpy dirt road (it wasn't 4 wheeling but I got an idea of the suspension). Honestly I wasn't too impressed...meaning I wouldn't sell my `03 to upgrade...the biggest reason price (I can't afford to). Mines getting close to being paid off, has low miles and a lot of life infront of it...not the smartest decision to upgrade (if you can call it that...I guess the engine). Second biggest reason I was hopping to see alot more power over my SC VG33, and I wasn't impressed. It was definatly faster, but I wasn't amazed. My decision I'll wait to see if they ever beef up the axles...otherwise I'll keep the firstgen and save for a Titan.

#769 - 05/09/07 09:15 AM Re: 4 Anyone who has never driven an '05+
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by powpownar:
I finally went and drove one this summer. `07 Off Road. I took it out for a nice drive freeway/around town/bumpy dirt road (it wasn't 4 wheeling but I got an idea of the suspension). Honestly I wasn't too impressed...meaning I wouldn't sell my `03 to upgrade...the biggest reason price (I can't afford to). Mines getting close to being paid off, has low miles and a lot of life infront of it...not the smartest decision to upgrade (if you can call it that...I guess the engine). Second biggest reason I was hopping to see alot more power over my SC VG33, and I wasn't impressed. It was definatly faster, but I wasn't amazed. My decision I'll wait to see if they ever beef up the axles...otherwise I'll keep the firstgen and save for a Titan.
Titan has the same issues. Had to burst your bubble there. :p

I don't believe my S/C ever worked properly so the difference was very noticeable for me. I miss the ruggedness of my '03, but I don't miss it's problems. I have an outstanding warranty and relationship with my dealer and all problems have been taken care of with little effort. (Transfer Case solenoid whole first year and Rear Diff at 24K miles)

It really boils down to what you expect to get and how you plan on using it. I don't want a $30K rock crawler, so I've beefed up the skids and rear bumper as well as rocker protection, but that is it for now. Forgot, Tires (Stock are, hmm, stock) are a must, but stick to stock size for now or until you have no warranty left.

Still used as a daily driver and weekend warrior, just like my '03.

#770 - 05/09/07 10:06 AM Re: 4 Anyone who has never driven an '05+
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ya, I know the titan has problems too...but I wouldn't be too hard on it, no offroading but camping and skiing. I'm interested in the V8, I'm sure I'd feel the power difference then.

I'm not trying to argue which one is better, just saying I was expecting alot more from the nextgen
(like OMG I need to trade mine in, dial-up to highspeed comparison).
I would love a Nextgen if I had the money, but I don't so I'll stick with what I got. I'm not a rockcrawler or avid 4x4....I just want to get to the skiresort and camp in the woods. I'm sure the nextgen would fit all my needs...just isn't worth it to me because of the $.

#771 - 05/09/07 10:24 AM Re: 4 Anyone who has never driven an '05+
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Ya, I know the titan has problems too...but I wouldn't be too hard on it, no offroading but camping and skiing. I'm interested in the V8, I'm sure I'd feel the power difference then.

I'm not trying to argue which one is better, just saying I was expecting alot more from the nextgen
(like OMG I need to trade mine in, dial-up to highspeed comparison).
I would love a Nextgen if I had the money, but I don't so I'll stick with what I got. I'm not a rockcrawler or avid 4x4....I just want to get to the skiresort and camp in the woods. I'm sure the nextgen would fit all my needs...just isn't worth it to me because of the $.
Project X2 has that V8 in it. [ThumbsUp] I understand it was a simple install, except for creating a jumper harness to convert the pinouts to the correct locations. Of course for engineers that have all the specs etc. it was an easy accomplishment, for the rest of us, it will be an extended headache until you figure it all out.

I hope there is a Titan that has no rear half in my future. laugh

#772 - 05/09/07 10:44 AM Re: 4 Anyone who has never driven an '05+
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just to pop the ol'bubble a bit more, I found THIS!

Quote:
Consumer Reports' "Bad bets" for making 200,000 miles: BMW 7-series, Infiniti QX56, Jaguar X-type, V8-powered Mercedes-Benz M-class, Mercedes-Benz SL, Nissan Armada, Nissan Titan, Volkswagen Touareg, V6-powered Volvo XC90.
I hope it's not the engine that gives it this poor of a rating. [Uh Oh !]

#773 - 05/09/07 12:58 PM Re: 4 Anyone who has never driven an '05+
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well at my rate by the time I can afford to buy one, I figure they will have fixed the rearend and fine tuned everything else or they've completely reengineered the truck.

#774 - 05/09/07 01:15 PM Re: 4 Anyone who has never driven an '05+
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Well at my rate by the time I can afford to buy one, I figure they will have fixed the rearend and fine tuned everything else or they've completely reengineered the truck.
I hope you're right and at the very least there is an off the shelf truck that can take the abuse, regardless of brand name.

#775 - 05/09/07 03:09 PM Re: 4 Anyone who has never driven an '05+
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd give up a toe to have my Gen1 back. frown

#776 - 05/09/07 06:00 PM Re: 4 Anyone who has never driven an '05+
Anonymous
Unregistered

I too am disappointed with my 05 X. Thought I would have it for 200k or more. Really concerned about the axles and diffs.

#777 - 05/09/07 06:14 PM Re: 4 Anyone who has never driven an '05+
GrayHam Offline

I currently own two GenII Xterras.

Love 'em both.

I loved my '01 and my '03 a lot, but . . .
my GenIIs?

I love them so much more.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal